IGNORED

What is your personal reference audiophile recording (best sound quality)?

• 3 weeks later...
At the moment these 3 are my reference.

Probably a year from now it'll have changed.

I love clear placement of the instruments.

And these recordings are very clear,you really see the band in front of you.

And depth is also one of my priorities,together with a natural sound of the room(reverb,echo),not dry, but lush.

And a wide dynamic range,so little or no compression.

SSS1%20Milan%20200.pngPaul%20Band%20Milan%20200.pngimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjPmG1B8zpS05cpWdSrpsSVW2yXiDwYNaxjme_YPpbM-QUF8nJwg

I'm an old fan of the singer Carmen Gomes,I have the recordings she made for Marantz including a couple of test CD's where she is singing a track or two.

But this is really a whole new level recording wise,it makes the older recordings sound...well old.

good to see new companies embracing the possibilities of modern recording technology and putting it to use so well, and the sound is so warm, almost analog.

Way out west,from Sonny Rollins, I use so I remember where I am coming from.

A friend of mine remastered my old LP,which I have had since my youth and I still love the sound.Actually I find that there are similarities in the sound with the Sound Liaison recordings.Maybe it all comes down to good old fashioned engineering.

If you go to the Sound Liaison site you can listen to the tracks before you buy.

Music Store

Hi Christian,

Did you compare your Way out West LP remaster with some of the comercially available versions?

The 24/96 version of Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit. Sounds AWESOME on my system, probably the best-mastered album in my collection other than some of my audiophile CD's.

I like that album too. Some people complain about too much compression. I tend to agree that maybe it is a bit much at times.

But on the other hand I have played the album many many times this year as much as the Carmen Gomes album mentioned above, where the use of compression is noticeable less.

see Dynamic Range Database;

[TABLE=class: table table-bordered table-striped, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]Gregory Porter[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]Liquid Spirit [HDtracks 24-bit 96 kHz][/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]2013[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]lossless[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]Download[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

compared to i.e. Carmen Gomes;

[TABLE=class: table table-bordered table-striped, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]Carmen Gomes Inc.[/TD]

[TD]Thousand Shades Of Blue [24/96] (Sound Liaison download)

i

[/TD]

[TD]2013[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]lossless[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

compression or no compression this is great song and what a groove!

The 24/96 version of Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit. Sounds AWESOME on my system, probably the best-mastered album in my collection other than some of my audiophile CD's.

I dig that album a lot but have only been streaming it on WiMP (redbook.) Good to know that it is worth the cost of the download.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

HIFI, I actually emailed Steph Johnson who will send you any of her three releases. I had a hard time locating her second release so send off an email. I was pleasantly surprised to get a personal email in return. CDbaby is 16/44.1 and any of the three you can get a CD direct from her. I suggested she contact Cookie at Bluecoast/Downloadsnow about current releases in HR or future ones with Cookie. Cookie is very approachable and down to earth gal. I believe they both would enjoy working with eachother.

Just listened to Steph's music on iTunes. Tomorrow will be ordering the CDs. Great recommendation and idea to link her with Cookie.

I like that album too. Some people complain about too much compression. I tend to agree that maybe it is a bit much at times.

But on the other hand I have played the album many many times this year as much as the Carmen Gomes album mentioned above, where the use of compression is noticeable less.

see Dynamic Range Database;

compared to i.e. Carmen Gomes;

compression or no compression this is great song and what a groove!

My favorite Gregory Porter is ''Water".

And to my ears the song 1960 sounds the most dynamic yet that song ''only'' scores an 11 while other more quiet songs on the album has a better score.

The Thousand Shades of Blue download is one of the best most natural recordings of a singer I have heard. The songs on that download are generally softer and more laid back than the ''Water'' but scores much higher in the database.

Actually I start to think that if an album is above 10 there is nothing to worry about.

MI0002931250.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Flac 88/24 Water | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

1401864771_jhhj.jpg

Flac 96/24 Thousand Shades of Blue (FLAC)

And depth is also one of my priorities,together with a natural sound of the room(reverb,echo),not dry, but lush.

SSS1%20Milan%20200.pngPaul%20Band%20Milan%20200.pngimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjPmG1B8zpS05cpWdSrpsSVW2yXiDwYNaxjme_YPpbM-QUF8nJwg

I'm an old fan of the singer Carmen Gomes,I have the recordings she made for Marantz including a couple of test CD's where she is singing a track or two.

But this is really a whole new level recording wise,it makes the older recordings sound...well old.

good to see new companies embracing the possibilities of modern recording technology and putting it to use so well, and the sound is so warm, almost analog.

A friend of mine remastered my old LP,which I have had since my youth and I still love the sound.Actually I find that there are similarities in the sound with the Sound Liaison recordings.Maybe it all comes down to good old fashioned engineering.

If you go to the Sound Liaison site you can listen to the tracks before you buy.

Music Store

Any change you heard the DSD download of way out west?

Any good? Sonny Rollins-Way Out West-DSD Single Rate 28MHz64fs Download | Acoustic Sounds

I use the following as test tracks:

- for voices, resolution: The Tallis Scholars - "Spem in Allium"

- for bass: Kode 9 and the Space Ape "Memories of the Future" Track 3

- for voice, ultra bass: Massive Attack, Japanese mix compilation Disc 4 "Hymn of the Big Wheel" Track 3

- for piano: Glenn Gould; Bach "Goldberg Variations"

- for cello: Janos Harker; Bach concertos

- for male voice: Peter Schreier the live recording of "Winterreise"

- for enjoyment: Mahler No 1 from Leonard Bernstein

- for jazz: Miles Davis "Seven Steps to Heaven" Track 1

• 3 months later...
'She' by Harry Connick Junior........

Amazing stereo seperating and soundstage

Great resolution

Best Piano tones I've heard to date.

You owe it to yourself to check it out!

totally concur with this! Fantastic recording.

Longtime audiophile. Longtime IT professional. Two worlds finally collide!

• 7 months later...

Nils Lofgren ( Acoustic Live) Keith Don't Go

Allan Taylor (Colour to the Moon)This cd is all good with two or three 5 star songs

Chris Jones ( Smoke and Noise) Long After Your Gone

EVA Cassidy( Best of Eva Cassidy) Ain't No Sunshine

These are a couple of favorites that I don't remember reading in this thread. They might already be listed so if I stepped on your pick then just take it as that we agree.

cover.jpg

Analyzed folder: /Rickie Lee Jones/Flying Cowboys (Geffen 9 24246-2) 16/44 CD rip

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Filename

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR19 -3.25 dB -26.42 dB 01 The Horses.aiff

DR13 -9.19 dB -25.86 dB 02 Just My Baby.aiff

DR24 -0.55 dB -26.59 dB 03 Ghetto Of My Mind.aiff

DR16 -6.79 dB -25.98 dB 04 Rodeo Girl.aiff

DR17 -4.66 dB -25.15 dB 05 Satellites.aiff

DR18 -7.53 dB -32.43 dB 06 Ghost Train.aiff

DR16 -6.05 dB -24.18 dB 07 Flying Cowboys.aiff

DR14 -8.79 dB -26.33 dB 08 Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying.aiff

DR19 -4.11 dB -25.35 dB 09 Love Is Gonna Bring Us Back Alive.aiff

DR17 -6.45 dB -29.29 dB 10 Away From The Sky.aiff

DR14 -4.39 dB -24.25 dB 11 Atlas' Marker.aiff

Number of files: 11

Official DR value: DR17

While I have many hi-res recordings, the ones I use for evaluating system changes are 16/44.1.

- Completely agree about the Allison Krauss and Union Station live album - terrific music and sound. "New Favorite" and "I'm just a ghost" have sonic aspects that I listen for. Ripped from CD with XLD.

- Hot Tuna Live at Bearsville. Downloaded from Cookie's site. "Death Don't have no Mercy" and "Good Shepherd" in particular.

- Dave Rawlings Machine, Nashville Obsolete. Guitar opening of "Bodysnatchers" Downloaded WAV

- Following a suggestion on CA, Radiohead "Packt Like Sardines...." from Amnesia. Multi-layered, multi-rhythmic.

Ripped from CD with XLD

Of course I pull out the Jazz at the Pawnshop album for this on occasion too. "Limehouse Blues"

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22298[/ATTACH]

Beethoven 5th & 7th

Pittsburg Symphony Orchestra

DSD128 from NativeDSD by Reference Recordings

By far, the best classical album I have ever heard. When the system is setup right, this is pure magic.

I have it in 24/96 and sounds fantastic! One of the best Beethoven versions, for sure with sonic quality.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

PaulBandMilan300.png

Music Store

I think that is it´´good old fashioned engineering´´.

Those 2 Sound Liaison downloads are from the Studio Showcase Serie, live in the studio, minimalist set up.

TSOB200.png