IGNORED

What is your personal reference audiophile recording (best sound quality)?

Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection 2004 SACD. It was the first SACD I bought and the first recording I listened to on my new system when I played it for the first time two years ago. I don't typically buy music for the sound quality, I buy it for the music and I've always thought this was a great record even though I'm not the world's biggest Elton John fan. The engineering, mastering, performance, writing and arrangements. It's perfect. And the sound is like being in the room with the performers. It was a revelation hearing that on SACD for the first time, the music just breathes... When I read that they were releasing new remasters of Elton's recordings I just thought, "How could they possibly improve on this master?"

Also, I recently signed up for Qobuz hi-res streaming and followed up on a suggestion to listen to the 24/96 version of Steely Dan's Gaucho (my least favorite of their albums) and that blew me away.

But having a good system to listen to music on has made such a big difference (both in hearing how good some releases sound and how bad mastering can ruin the experience). Just yesterday I was listening to the Cavaliers Anthology of Cockney Rebel and marveling at what a great remastering job they did with those records from 1973-74. I think that era of the early 70s was kind of a golden age of analog studio recording, I don't know how much was a question of equipment or style or expertise but especially the acoustic instruments of the best recordings of that era are unequaled. But I'm sure there's a lot out there I haven't heard, and many listeners more knowledgeable than myself and with better aural discrimination.

"Let the great constellation of flickering ashes be heard..."   ~ Noel Scott Engel

As stated in posts here, there is no single recording that can tell you everything - but if I had to grab a single album to use for testing a whole range of setups, I would probably go for the original mastering of Led Zeppelin I ... this would tell me in 30 secs whether the system was anywhere in the range of getting the sound right - ability to handle dynamics, subtle treble, complex mixing, intense music making, extracting the finest details, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 3:01 PM, christian u said:

I think a new classic is born, it's live, it's recorded in DXD with only 1 microphone, completely phase coherent, and it sounds fantastic. Highly recommended.

spacer.pnghttps://www.soundliaison.com/

Yes but it is a special 3 channel microphone, so NOT mono. I even think you'd be hard pressed to find recordings with a wider sound stage than these "One Microphone" recordings.

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2016 at 7:17 PM, oso said:

testikhof has analyzed both downloads; technically After Silence is a notch above Road to Memphis

less ambient noise, but both albums have a superior SQ.

Still need testikhof to have a go at the ''One Mic'' recordings from the same label, but anyway the whole catalogue is on a 20% sale at the moment. https://www.soundliaison.com/

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

These albums shows the great variety but superb musician ship of the labels output. SQ is unsurpassed.

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2020 at 3:47 PM, Milan said:

Still need testikhof to have a go at the ''One Mic'' recordings from the same label, but anyway the whole catalogue is on a 20% sale at the moment. https://www.soundliaison.com/

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

These albums shows the great variety but superb musician ship of the labels output. SQ is unsurpassed.

Yes, but don't forget to fill in the coupon code; RAINBOWS

• 3 years later...