IGNORED

Best USB to SPDIF converter

Quest: I would not assume anything when it comes to commercial products... It is very unusual for commercial products to be engineered to the levels which I am suggesting, especially when it comes to providing isolated, clean, supplies to every different section. I would also be quite suspicious of converters which rely completely on USB power (Soulution...really!).

I am not saying that there are not some very good products out there, just that a consumer would be wise to not assume anything when it comes to commercial products.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

barrows, and I guess the sonore gets your recommendation as it has most of these sorted out? :) Just curious as it also does not have too much details on the website.

I wouldn't be so quick as to write off all converters which rely on usb power. Respectable products like wavelength wavelink and sonicweld diverter 2 do as well, using different methodologies to work at the common issues. I do agree with you that we need to be careful about being too trusting though.

Sometimes what we think goes against conventional wisdom as well. Since sotm products are so well mentioned here, I just like to share that there are situations where I feel it does not. For example, while the sotm sata filter seems to work well on hdd like WD green, if you use a WD RE4 or SSD, I feel it may not sound as good in some systems. I also just tried the sotm usb3 card, but felt I might not need it.

barrows, and I guess the sonore gets your recommendation as it has most of these sorted out? :) Just curious as it also does not have too much details on the website.

I wouldn't be so quick as to write off all converters which rely on usb power. Respectable products like wavelength wavelink and sonicweld diverter 2 do as well, using different methodologies to work at the common issues. I do agree with you that we need to be careful about being too trusting though.

Sometimes what we think goes against conventional wisdom as well. Since sotm products are so well mentioned here, I just like to share that there are situations where I feel it does not. For example, while the sotm sata filter seems to work well on hdd like WD green, if you use a WD RE4 or SSD, I feel it may not sound as good in some systems. I also just tried the sotm usb3 card, but felt I might not need it.

All commercial products are built to a price point, and all are compromised to some extent. How much those compromises actually compromise real world performance is debatable, and the differences may be too small to be resolved by some systems. Sonore converters are well sorted, but not "perfect", as nothing is… I had a Wavelink, and it offered excellent performance, but it did improve when I supplied a low noise, shunt regulated, power supply instead of USB power.

I am not writing anything off, but it is clear to me that there are gains to be made by supplying a clean power supply, and further gains can be made by supplying multiple, clean, isolated power supplies.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Personally I wouldn't have minded just buying a dcs or soulution blind if I were more sure of the quality, but I'm not. Does not help that not much internals or details of these items.

The Well-Tempered Computer

If there is no type there, the Soulution is outrageously expensive for what it does and the specs, perfectly comparable with other units.

I wonder if there is something specific to it, or any in-house know-how that justifies this price. But suspect it's the other way around...

So maybe you would be better server with one of the solutions recommended in the cash list or SOtM that seems to be best-in-class.

Well, that is the price category in which Soulution operates... Without detailed descriptions of the internal design, and comparative listening tests with other, known performance, converters, I am skeptical.

There is no reason to use USB power as a "feature", so I become even more skeptical that Soulution does not build their own supplies for this unit. But without testing it, there is no way to know how well it might perform.

SONORE computer audio

Of course, I still believe a good USB DAC which avoids using SPDIF at all is ultimately the better way to go. There are actually quite a few good DACs with excellent async USB interfaces onboard these days.

What are some candidate DACs with onboard async USB that performs at or above the level of the best converter solutions?

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

What are some candidate DACs with onboard async USB that performs at or above the level of the best converter solutions?

from memory, of other peoples' experiences reported here or in reviews on other sites/mags, or ones I have heard myself, here are a few:

Calyx, Ayre, Wavelength Audio, dCS (Debussy), Meitner, EMM Labs, Sonore Signature (new version with async USB), PS Audio PWD Mk II, Bricasti (new version with async USB), ...

I am sure that there are others.

SONORE computer audio

Interesting to note that most high end converters and async USB DACs they all use XMOS USB chip. This one seems to be real good.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Interesting info. here, but much of it is out of my price range. I have been looking at the JKSpdif MK3 by John Kenny, a DIY er. It's based on the HiFace Evo, with modifications by John Kenny. It's not pretty, but it's performance is reported as being very good.

6moons audio reviews: John Kenny JKSPDIF MkIII

He has devised an on board ps, with other mods. I have read several posts that it outperforms the A2 by itself, and in some cases even with the Pure Power supply. It's cost is approx. $410.

Any experience or comments here on this system? I know Barrows is a DIY er as well.

Put this post in the category of best for the money. :0)

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

There is another thing to consider when comparing USB-SPDIF converters. The performance will be somewhat dependent on the interaction of the SPDIF transmitter in the converter, the SPDIF cable, and the SPDIF receiver in one's DAC.

The above is another reason, one must listen to these things in one's own system, when considering USB-SPDIF converters of the same relative level. This interaction may explain some of the different perspectives on some of these units... In any case, do not rely entirely on others' observations, especially if they have a differnet DAC and SPDIF cable than you do.

SONORE computer audio

I have read several posts that it outperforms the A2 by itself, and in some cases even with the Pure Power supply. It's cost is approx. $410.

Heard both and the AP2 is slightly better to my ears - although its close. The off-Ramp blows them all away to my ears - and I have heard quite a few. The Wavelength is next which is very close to the Berkeley. I have been told though that integer mode in Audirvana with the Berkeley lifts it considerably to maybe be even better than the Off-Ramp but have not heard it myself.

Bang for buck - get the AP2. Also no coax cable issues with it - it direct injects into the DAC.

Thanks

Bill

Thanks for the info Bill. Was the AP2 working in concert with the pure power unit when you compared? What are you using as a Dac?

Barrows brings up a good point. I asked John Kenny what he thought about his converter with the Peachtree dac, and he stated that he wasn't familiar with the Dacit, and therefore could not comment on how much improvement I might get over the Asus Xonar bridge I am presently using.

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

Interesting info. here, but much of it is out of my price range. I have been looking at the JKSpdif MK3 by John Kenny, a DIY er. It's based on the HiFace Evo, with modifications by John Kenny. It's not pretty, but it's performance is reported as being very good.

Just being pedantic here - but I believe the JKSPDIF MKIII is based on the original M2Tech HiFace, not the HiFace Evo.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Just being pedantic here - but I believe the JKSPDIF MKIII is based on the original M2Tech HiFace, not the HiFace Evo.

Eloise

Not pedantic, I stand corrected. :0)

The ART - Legato website has really good information on why they think there converter is different:

ART - Legato

ART - Legato Technical Information

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Thanks all for continuing the discussion. I had discussed on the dcs u-clock option quite abit, and personally feel that due to some factors such as the rca output impedence, it is optimized for dcs dacs. I decided to assess this again once I decide to look for dacs, with dcs stack as an option. The other good thing about the dcs is that it's upgradeable, but this also depends on service from the local dealer.

Jsmith, thanks for reminding me on the Legato. I decided I will not need hi-res (even though I have some 300 hi-res albums - I still can leave my direct async usb connected for this), and this is an option if going for specs. Pat will be releasing a new version soon and I will likely be opting for this to buy one to try as the new features interest me.

Unfortunately my trial with the wavelink made me inclined to skip it. I think while performance is not bad, some important aspects on the macro level are better on the $300 one I have on trial though the wavelink does provide more control.

There are some things which were not optimal during my trial though, as I was forced to use bnc to rca converters, but both converters were similarly handicapped, so I urge anyone else to try on their own to make their own conclusions. Wavelink tended to switch bitrates quite abit in windows, which causes clicking sounds on my Chord DAC when the relays engage/disengage, which is strangely another reason I wouldn't mind sticking to 16/44.1.

There are some things which were not optimal during my trial though, as I was forced to use bnc to rca converters, but both converters were similarly handicapped, so I urge anyone else to try on their own to make their own conclusions.

Complain, complain, complain..........sorry, I couldn't resist.

I'll go back into my hole, and try to finish getting the new batch out. (Actually, I am off to buy more shipping supplies.)

BTW, several folks have reported playing back 24/96 stuff, downsampled to play on our piece of junk, sounded better than their existing hi-rez system. Their claim, not ours. But something to ponder.

I have heard the Berkeley USB, the Audiophileo, the Legato, and an early and the latest Off-Ramp, which I am now using. The Berkeley unit I had surely had something wrong with it. It was awful. The Audiophilleo seemed usable (I have not heard the battery-powered. The Off-Ramp sounds a little better (with a Berkeley Alpha) than the Legato, but if you are happy with 44.1--which I mostly am--the Legato is the bargain.The Off-Ramp is excellent.

There is really very little hi-rez music that I would buy, and I am not going to buy music just to exercise my audio gear.

from memory, of other peoples' experiences reported here or in reviews on other sites/mags, or ones I have heard myself, here are a few:

Calyx, Ayre, Wavelength Audio, dCS (Debussy), Meitner, EMM Labs, Sonore Signature (new version with async USB), PS Audio PWD Mk II, Bricasti (new version with async USB), ...

I am sure that there are others.

I would add M2Tech Young

There is really very little hi-rez music that I would buy, and I am not going to buy music just to exercise my audio gear.

+1 as most of the hi rez that I might buy I already have on vinyl.

No one has mentioned the Weiss INT 202/203. This is the front end of the DAC 202 and DAC2, and its excellent jitter specs didn't come from its looks. It is Firewire, not USB, but I feel that it deserves to be mentioned as it is quite a unit and there may just be a U version on the horizon now that the DAC202U is out.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Thanks for the info Bill. Was the AP2 working in concert with the pure power unit when you compared? What are you using as a Dac?

Sorry for the late reply. It was not with the pure power - havn't heard that myself but know people that have. The difference is marginal at best from what they tell me.

Thanks

Bill

Bang for buck - get the AP2. Also no coax cable issues with it - it direct injects into the DAC.

I am personally feeding my AP2 with an AQVOX power supply and have been pleased with the result (although I have been too lazy to compare the sound with and without the AQVOX PSU rigorously). This is a cheap upgrade (around €100) compared with PurePower.

Which one of these two options do you think is a better match for my NAD c390dd?

Stello U3 using AES/EBU

Audiophilleo2 using COAX

The Stello U3 is excellent, I've modded to allow a direct interface via XLR rather than an additional cable but only because it's a neater solution. I also use the Aqvox USB power supply with its excellent 1mV ripple specs.

Meanwhile I'm developing an i2s interface using the WaveIO DIY card which will render the U3 redundant and finally remove the last SPDIF interface from my system.

Various >i2s> NAD M2 > Quad 2905s