IGNORED

High resolution Servers

sdman

What kind of equipment(server) do I need to process HRx,HDCD, anything with 96/24 and 192?

I listened to Reference Records HRx and HDtracks recordings and was amazed at what I heard. Also Lynnn Records had some good stuff.

I'm new at this and I am an old vinyl spinner and never thought

about digital until I heard the high definition recordings.

I tried at one time to listen to CD but after an hour or so I gave up and went back to listening to vinyl.

Look's like digital HD could be the future in music listening.

As I said I'm green at this but I'd like to get started building something soon. "I'm getting a fire in my belly".

Any advice/info would be appreciated.

thanks, Sam

Hi Sam - Welcome to Computer Audiophile. You've come to the right place for help in the music server and high resolution department. Do you have a preference for Windows or Mac OS X? Here is a link to some music servers I have here or have written about. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/taxonomy_menu/2/11

The expense rises when you want to playback the RR HRx material. Getting 24/176.4 or 192 out of a computer requires more than just the built-in interfaces. I use a Lynx Studio AES16 card. It will output full 24/192 bit perfect via AES/EBU to my DAC. There are firewire DACs as well like the Weiss Minerva. You just need a computer with a firewire port. The DAC connects right to it and your good.

I'm guessing we'll need to keep this discussion alive for a while as you admit to being pretty new with this stuff. No worries, it's laid back around here. Don't be afraid to ask whatever you need.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks Chris,

My preference will be Windows XP Pro.

What's the limitation on an USB 2.0 port?

Will it at least handle 96/24?

I'll check out the equipment that you metioned and also I have an E-MU 0404USB interface that I just got for some recording. The DAC

seems to work fine and sounds great when I download some of the samples from Lynn and HDtracks.

Sam

Do you already have an external DAC?

Generally USB2 is limited to 24/96 so you won't get full benefit of HRx or any 24/176 playback. Granted there are a lot more 24/96 music now than 24/176 but I hope there will be more soon.

Depending on your budget but I definitely second the Lynx AES16 card as a first step then you will need an External DAC that can accept 24/176 via single or dual XLR connection.

USB 2.0 is not limited to 24/96. It is the current USB devices that are limited. I am designing a 24/192 async USB interface this year. Some already in use in studios.

Dont expect even 24/192 to compete with your vinyl if you have a good system, unless you get the digital jitter down to extremely low levels. The order of importance for digital systems IME (and my customers) is:

1) Jitter

2) D/A

3) Preamp

Virtually no 24/192 content available yet, but you can rip your vinyl to 24/192.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

• 1 month later...

How do I play high resolution files remotely through my stereo from my server? I have an Benchmark DAC-1 and high resolution DAC in my receiver and have been using a Squeezebox Duet. But I discovered it won't pass high resolution files to my DACs. What are my alternatives? Running an AES/EBU XLR, USB or SPDIF/AEC BNC cable will be difficult. Ethernet is in place to one location and wireless is available to another. Is there something like the Squeezebox for High resolution file transport and control like the Squeezebox or Apple Express (I use Apple servers)?

Hi drpye - Welcome to Computer Audiophile. I'm glad you mentioned you have Ethernet running to at least one location. One solution is to use the Gefen Digital Audio Extender. It will handle up to 24/96 bit perfectly from Toslink to Ethernet to Toslink. Here is my review of the unit http://www.computeraudiophile.com/Gefen-Digital-Audio-Extender-Review

Your other option is a Logitech Transporter, it will also handle 24/96.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I assume you mean the Gefen SP/DIF adaptor ... In which case no won't work via a switch. Calling it SP/DIF to Ethernet is a bit of a misnomer. It's actually a device that allows you to run SP/DIF over Cat5 cable.

Ethernet is a networking transport protocol which runs over Cat5/6 cabling (along with other forms of physical cables and wireless conentions).

Cat5 is a standard for cable which uses 4 pairs of twisted together copper cables, usually terminated by RG45 connectors. Cat5e and Cat6 are enhanced versions designed for higher network speeds.

Although many people think they are synominous, technically "Ethernet" and "Cat5" mean two separate things.

The SlimDevices / Logitech transporter is an Ethernet device so will work over the Hubs and switches in your home network.

Hope I haven't confused you more but I thought it might help to comment on the different meanings.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Gang,

Just posted this over on DAC7 page... again for your enjoyment.

Presently a number of dac do USB at 24/96. This is called Class 1 Audio devices and the reason they can't exceed 24/96 is because 24/176 and 24/192 require more than 1023 bytes per frame to work. For 24/192 you would need 1152 bytes per frame which exceeds the USB specification.

Class 2 Audio (not to be confused with USB 2.0) allows what is called sub frame packets. As many as 3 with a High Speed USB 2.0 link. I did the calculation somewhere and I think it was 32 channels at 24/192 is the max.

The big problem is that Class 2 is only supported by OSX 10.5.x. Windows and Linux only have support for Class 1 Audio and therefore cannot support 24/192 as of yet. Many of the PRO units, just use drivers to support the 24/192 on all platforms.

So anyways... yes sometime we will be flirting with 24 or 32 192 rates in the near future.

Thanks

Gordon

Gang,

Just posted this over on DAC7 page... again for your enjoyment.

Presently a number of dac do USB at 24/96. This is called Class 1 Audio devices and the reason they can't exceed 24/96 is because 24/176 and 24/192 require more than 1023 bytes per frame to work. For 24/192 you would need 1152 bytes per frame which exceeds the USB specification.

Class 2 Audio (not to be confused with USB 2.0) allows what is called sub frame packets. As many as 3 with a High Speed USB 2.0 link. I did the calculation somewhere and I think it was 32 channels at 24/192 is the max.

The big problem is that Class 2 is only supported by OSX 10.5.x. Windows and Linux only have support for Class 1 Audio and therefore cannot support 24/192 as of yet. Many of the PRO units, just use drivers to support the 24/192 on all platforms.

So anyways... yes sometime we will be flirting with 24 or 32 192 rates in the near future.

Thanks

Gordon