IGNORED

Where to spend to get maximum audio quality on a system at a given price

Hi,

Short Question:

Is there any guidelines/ideas on how to split the money spent in components to get maximum audio quality on a system at a given price.

My own system example:

10 % Desktop PC

03 % PCI to USB CARD

01 % USB Cable

33 % DAC (Stereo)

03 % XLR Cables

50 % Active Monitors (Stereo)

$5K-$30K Price Range

I did a few searches on the topic and came empty handed, but please post a link if any or your toughts/example.

Long Explanation:

The idea is to have a guideline in to how much to spend in a Component versus an other in a given system.

There will be too many variable behind those %, probably hundreds of disccusions about components etc.

Please, I'm trying to stay away from particular discussions, brands and models, I know it's hard :-)

I assume that everyone will pick their favourite component brand influenced by they priority's e.g. Connectivity, Design, Power etc.

Don't quote me on the %, I'm guessing base on my limited experience/reading (I suppose most will do the same)

(the leading 0 on the % number is just to keep the alignment)

It will change with the whole system price, so price range should be a factor. But may be wider than $5K-$20K.

Also avancement on technology of a component will tend to reduce it's % vs the rest. This should be the case of DAC vs Speaker

If you change the system design itself just list the components as a chain, e.g. Active Monitor may change for Amplifier>Cables>Speakers

How I think to use the guideline:

For example I'm upgrading all cables.

Currently my DAC is the best component, which is likely stay in the system longer.

So I would take the value of the DAC $6500 and apply the % in reverse to get the whole system value

Target System ($) = Component ($) / Component (%)

$6500 / 33% = $19,696

33% will be 0.33 in this case or 100 / 33

That is not my current system value, but the one I would build if I keep the DAC in place and upgrade all the other components.

Now, How much should I spend on my next XLR Cables to match the DAC value?

Component ($) = Target System ($) x Component (%)

XLR Cables $ = $19,696 x 3%

XLR Cables $ = $590

Remember it's just a guideline, to somehow "relate" our audiophile daydreaming with the pocket :-)

Regards, Yogui.

Chris,

If the site have some kind of user form everyone could place their current system components, that may also be an indication and work as a reference with profiles etc.

head-fi does it and I found it usefull.

Synology DS1815>Cisco Switch>CAPS Pipeline Win7/10 x64 > Foobar/AlbumPlayer/JRiver MC > ASIO > Dac: exaSound e28 > Speakers: Focal SM9 and Twins Be6 in 5.1 > HeadAmp: Woo WA22 > Cans: HD800 (Bal)/Focal Uthopia > Portable: Iphone X> Shure SE530PTH

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies! :-)

I forgot about my signature, so my system was there all the time anyway :-(

Probably the numbers make it sound hard and fixed but that’s not my intention.

May be the numbers are not that good, but otherwise I can not think of a reference.

From the comments and my experience I get that Speakers + Amp are a big influence in Quality (nothing new there), I suppose second by DAC.

To follow the example, I do read the specs of speakers, but dont mean much at all.

The final decision is done after a good listening session.

Living in Sydney, Australia makes it harder to audition my next speakers which don’t have a name yet but I hope they will keep me happy for long years.

May be is a good excuse to go Rocky Mountain :-)

So this was just an exercise to put some frame around the cost.

Synology DS1815>Cisco Switch>CAPS Pipeline Win7/10 x64 > Foobar/AlbumPlayer/JRiver MC > ASIO > Dac: exaSound e28 > Speakers: Focal SM9 and Twins Be6 in 5.1 > HeadAmp: Woo WA22 > Cans: HD800 (Bal)/Focal Uthopia > Portable: Iphone X> Shure SE530PTH

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again,

Purite Audio, I did listen to some Genelec (8030 & 8040) but didnt like them and went for Focal Twins.

I may listen to higer end Genelecs, I do like that they are strong build, integrate 5.1 and DSP/room correction.

Danq, I will have a listen at the Magnepan.

I really like Monitors (no amp hanging around) and I do listen at Near field (1mt) from them.

I plan to integrate 5.1 later on.

That narrows my options, may be I should give up the monitors type and have an amp

I definetly have to go arround and listen to more systems to make an opinion.

• 7 months later...

Thanks guys! Sorry for the late reply :-)

@Jay yes i do look at the room and treatment as well as speaker placement. I got jim's get better sound book and dvd, highly recommended

@firedog ATC SM-25 look great not a single distributor in Australia has them in stock :-(

I am leaning towards the KEF LS-50 Anniversary with a classe 5.1 multichannel power amp

They are small and coaxial supposed to be best for near field

Ive listen the Magies 3.7 they are a soft beauty ideal for analog and voice. I do a lot of electro