IGNORED

USB Question - Pro-Ject USB DAC

I just purchased and set-up a Pro-Ject USB Box. The input is connected to my computer USB port and the output is connected to a NHT Passive Vol Control. This in turn is connected to NHT-MOO monitors. When I purchased the Pro-Ject and NHT PVC my expectation was that my internal soundcard and computer software volume control would be bypassed. My understanding was that this results in greater resolution. However, my system volume control is still active.

I'm new to all this and am not sure if this is how it is supposed to work or not. The Pro-Ject didn't come with a manual. It did come with a set-up disc , but all it did was install Foobar 2000. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am using the same DAC on an Intel Aluminum Imac on Leopard and the volume control on my computer still works, so does the equalizer in iTunes. Using the USB on your computer bypasses the internal sound card and sends out a digital signal, unlike your sound card which sends out an analog signal out of your 1/8" jack. Just make sure all the settings in your media player are set to the maximum resolution and highest quality settings your DAC will handle, which is 16/44.1 for the Pro-Ject. Don't waste your money on 24/96 music downloads until you get a DAC that will take advantage of them. Hope this helps.

Rob

With all due respect, will this extra effort make any difference on a $150.00 bus powered PCM2702 based DAC? I would honestly like to know, and if so, how can I bypass the volume on my Intel Imac? Frankly, having the computer's volume control functional with a control on the keyboard (as most have), or a remote which my Imac has, is a nice touch. I realize the computer volume should be set at max, and the virtual volume control in the program should be used, but sometimes it is nice to have the computer volume just in case you need to turn down the volume quickly, rather than having to use your mouse pointer to find some slide control on your media player. My computer based system is at my desktop and is powered by a minimalist amp with no remote, so having computer volume is handy.

Rob

Just install the Asio driver that comes with the setup disk and enjoy.

The simple/minimalist design of the Pro-Ject USB Box is what gives it its performance. It is more transparent and more natural sounding. With a pair of great speakers the improvement over the SoundBlaster X-Fi ( which i have for months ) were immediately noticeable. The sheer pace, attack, accuracy, detail and depth. and energy of the music are much more noticeable than before.

The combination with the heavily modded Musical Fidelity X-10D buffer - Epcos and Panasonic caps, Vishay resistors, Shotky diods and Siemens ECC85 NOS valves - gained a little extra weight and definition in the lower registers which improves sound warmth being replaced by a noticeably punchier and dynamic sound. Not only because of the valve “magic effect” but also because its load matching ability.

The Burr-Brown PCM2702 USB chip DAC is also used by:

FubarII/III, GoVibe Petite USB, Ti Kan's Alien DAC, Hotaudio40 HotUSB1,Keces USB DAC, TooleAudio BantamDAC, Silverstone Ensemble EB01 USB Dac, KingRex T20USB and even the $1600 Sutherland Engineering 12dAX7 USB DAC/preamp. This just show how good and versatile it is. :)

PC / Pro-Ject USB dac (modded)/ Musical Fidelity X10-D (modded)/ Musical Fidelity X-A1 (modded)/ B&W CDM1 SE/ Supra Power Cables/ Nordost Flatline Speaker Cables

Thankyou for the info. I am obviously not experiencing the sound from my USB Box that you are, and I know it is not my system which is a Rega Brio 3, Mirage Omni-Sat v2 sats, and Klipsch RPW-10 sub. I have run an M-Audio Firewire 410, and even tried my turntable at this system and the Pro-Ject USB Box has the least transparent sound of the three. Does this DAC need a long break in? I also notice it is getting good reviews. Please help me with this Asio driver, as I know nothing about it, and will it help my sound? Thanks in advance.

Rob

Well, maybe because the M-Audio is a better unit than the Pro-Ject USB Box.... ?! or maybe because you have a better synergy between all the other audio setput than with the USB Box...?!

I'd made good vinyl recordings using my Pro-Ject Debut 3 Turntable with an Ortofon MC15, a Musical Fidelity 3AX preamp, the Soundblaster X-fi and using Plextools as recording software. :)

PC / Pro-Ject USB dac (modded)/ Musical Fidelity X10-D (modded)/ Musical Fidelity X-A1 (modded)/ B&W CDM1 SE/ Supra Power Cables/ Nordost Flatline Speaker Cables

The first thing to do is to check all the settings.

Assuming we talk Windows:

- device manager > check for the latest drivers

- Play back device – check all the settings, DSP, speaker type, sample rate, etc.

On my PC, the USB-audio by default has full range speakers OFF. Changing this make some difference….