IGNORED

What type of speakers (tower, monitor, powered) do you use in your primary system?

What Type Of Speakers Do You Use In Your Main Home System  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bowers & Wilkins 802 Diamonds (second generation) in Piano Black. Love them. :)

On a side note, soon (I will be building the bookshelf 1L Natalie P's that WKHanna has, but with lots of updates to them (talking possibly Beryllium tweeters and the works on these speakers). I think if we go all out (Bill will possibly replace parts in his to bring them up to the same level) they will be on the order of 802Dis in terms of quality, just won't have the low end and possibly some of the mid range clarity that the tear drop marlin head seems to give. But anything is possible! All that for roughly under $2k, what's not to like!? I think I'm going to skip on the custom cabinets and just use the Parts Express Curved cabinets to make it easy (as that's what the Nat. P's were designed for).

526740_4206483606962_166590148_n.jpg

They are the speakers that WKHanna built (his 'Twins') back on post 49. Designed by Jon Marsh over at htguide.com/forum in the DYI Speaker building section. Jon is a big StarWars fan and is a huge fan of Natalie Portman...hence the designation of "Natalie P's".

They are some of the most impressive speakers I've ever heard for the price and for anyone that knows speaker building and crossover design... the speakers shouldn't sound all that good but he somehow stubled across a crossover/driver design that sort of defies how a lot of crossovers work at the level (quality) of sound you get from the parts).

Just to give an idea.... I'd say they are roughly about $1K to build and perform equivalent to the Bowers and Wilkins 700 (well now the cheaper CM series) to low end 800 series Bowers and Wilkins. So about a $5k to $8K retail price range. And that's with the normal parts, not the upgraded parts Jon Marsh is personally working to design for WKHanna's upgrade and my full 2nd system build. Though mine will be a bookshelf version (original design, not the floor standers that WKHanna built) put into these cabinets:

Dayton Audio MTMC-1.0CH 1.0 ft³ MTM Curved Cabinet Cherry 302-753