IGNORED

You Have Proton

3407900382_353e79da84.jpg?v=0

AKG K-702 headphones getting snuggly with Proton. Mostly just listening with headphones so far... and the headphone amp is worthy. For the K-702's I'm generally having the volume set to about 75% of max... and having a lot of fun.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Flatmat,

Thanks for the nice comments.

Was wondering what you thought of using 88.2 instead of 44.1? I can see you have the Audio Midi setup to 44.1 as I can see the led light for that.

With the proton I felt that the 88.2 just seemed a little better. But with the G4 several people have said they prefer the sound over 88.2/96 (upsampled). I think it maybe due to processing power.

Have fun!

Funny thing... several K-700 series users have already commented on the Proton. Maybe something I get my hands on soon.

Thanks

Gordon

I'm happy to say that the Proton and the K-702's are a very nice match together.

I mean I expected that the Proton was going to have a good dac, but I was prepared for the headphone amp to be, perhaps, less good. But that's not the case -- it is very satisfying.

I will definitely try out the 88.2 setting. So far I've mostly been at 44.1 as you noticed. Once I get some more hours on it, I'll put on my nerd hat and do some more critical listening, get it plugged into my main stereo system, and try out the different Audio Midi settings. So I'm sure I'll do some fine tuning, but I'm already in a happy headphone place with this.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

I had some time to fiddle around with the Audio MIDI settings -- feeding the Proton -- using various files with different sample rates.

On my older G4 (PowerPC cpu) iBook it's entirely clear that 44.1 files sound by far the best when Audio MIDI is set to 44.1. When I boost it up to 88.2, everything just gets a bit flabby and indistinct.

So with my setup (older CPU, not much RAM) it seems best not to ask the processor to do any interpolation on the fly. At least I'm assuming that's what makes the difference.

If I ever get a newer machine (kids graduate from HS, go to college, graduate from college, get a job... oh starting to dream here) then I'll pump this up to 88.2 like Gordon was suggesting, and try that out.

Flatmap,

The headphone section will need about 40 hours of random use before it starts to really get good. Just use it like you are it will break in nicely. You know how those Black Gates are.

Breaking things in like reviewers sometimes do will actually end up taking longer.

Thanks

Gordon

Good point. I'm still only at 20 hours, although perhaps the dealer had put a few hours on it.

However, Don couldn't have logged too much time; I believe he got it in on a Friday and I ordered it on Monday morning. :-)

Gordon,

Will there be some sort of provision for recharging for people whose laptops don't leave the USB power on in sleep or hibernate mode?

How will the amp do with a pair of 300 ohm Sennheisers?

Anybody else have any comments? The dealer who was going to call me back in early March never did, but I'm still saving my pennies.

-- Jim

How come a lot of these dac's have the mini headphone output instead of the full stereo 1/4" one? Is that just a price, convenience thing (user end)? My IBasso D2 boa has one too. I don't mind it really, but does it make a difference?

IamKirk, I don't really know how cost considerations enter into this, but there are sure a lot of headphones that now come equipped with mini-plugs. My new AKG K-702's come with this termination. Same for my new Audio Technica M50s.

Gang,

The 1/4" would not fit on the board because the Mundorf caps are huge.

If you want to charge the proton without the computer simply buy any iPod charger with a USB port on it and plug the Proton into that. I got an extra iPhone one here plugged into a strip just for that reason. It does not take long at all to bring the battery up too full charge.

Thanks

Gordon

Over the years I've tried many computer sources and DACs, including the USB DAC1, Headamp Pico, Transporter, and Modwright Transporter (which now resides in my main system).

Any idea how the Proton compares to these? How will it sound in the context of a decent home system -- Cary amplification and PMC speakers? Can it drive an amp directly?

Finally, when will Stereo Exchange receive new units for sale? I live just down the street in NYC.

Very interested! Thanks!

Gang,

There is an internal intelligent charger which is required for any Lithium Ion battery. This is a linear one not one of the switching types.

All of the USB chargers are regulated at 5V since that is what the Vbus spec is.

Yes you can use the Proton as a high quality digital preamplifier of sorts. My systems today is:

SuperMacMini---->Proton=====>Corona VT52 Amps====>WWWS Speakers.

Thanks

Gordon

I've just begun listening with the Proton in my main stereo. Soundwise, I'm not losing much by going straight from proton to amp and if anything I'd say everything is more clear and direct.

Of course having a preamp is great because you have control of multiple inputs and outputs, tape loop, muting and such.

It's 5" by 4" by 2". Reasonably easy to take with you and on par with the AKG K-702 (see picture above) that I'd be packing along. :-)

Thanks flatmap, that thing really is small and light. Perfect for travel.

Does anyone have any idea on some good small powered speakers for travel? I have the Audioengine A2 powered speakers and LOVE them, but they're slightly big to be serious travel speakers. I did take them to Panama once. Man that was a fun trip.

Yes portability is good. I've been taking it with me in my briefcase -- on days when I can listen to music at work. It's bigger than a Headroom Total Bithead, but still entirely transportable. Not having a separate power supply brick helps as well -- I have a nice little protective bag I put it in first so it doesn't get scratched. However this is an all-metal case, so it's not fragile.

The bigger problem for me is finding a good way to take along the big AKG headphones.

I'm not much familiar with portable speakers, but I know there was a Cambridge Soundworks portable system that got buzz some years back. Never heard it though and not sure if they're still making this kind of thing.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Any suggestions which headphones suits best for Proton? I am considering AKG's K701/702 or maybe Grado's SR325i model. As I read here AKG works fine. :)

Did anybody compare the headphones output with an external special hp-amp? As I like to travel much the Proton seems to be the best solution on market.

Best, Walter

Walter Kircher HiFi - European High-End Audio distribution company + sales agency based in Austria

www.walterkircher.com