IGNORED

Article: EMM Labs DAC2X Review

Chris: Given that the DAC is probably THE crucial piece of equipment in a computer driven system, it is logically the one piece on which you as founder of Computer Audiophile would spend the most money. With the choices that you have made in the rest of your system vis-a-vis speakers, amplifiers, etc do you have a way to articulate just how big a difference the EMM Labs piece (at its price point) makes in your system?

As you say: "No DAC has brought out so much emotion or brought me closer to my favorite music that the DAC2X." and "The DAC2X produces the best musical illusion and performs a better disappearing act than all other DACs I've heard in my listening room and many other rooms."

In my own experience, I can hear those kind of differences between speakers, far less so with amplifiers, virtually not with cables and to a sufficient extent that I would spend +/-$5k on a better SACD, CD or turntable; but probably not an extra $10K. Is the DAC2X so much better than the best $5k or $10k solution that it is clear you would rather spend that difference there than anywhere else in your system?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Given my current system I'd much rather spend the money on the DAC over anywhere else.

Thanks Chris. That phrase nailed what I was looking for. Ultimately, we all have both some real budgetary limits and some common sense ones that say "don't spend money on differences you can't hear." And since we also often have limitations on how many alternative components we can compare in our own systems, the ability to get a qualitative assessment as to where others whose judgement we trust would spend their money is really helpful.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)