IGNORED

Article: EMM Labs DAC2X Review

Great review Chris, exciting new product that I am sure many will have added to their shortlists.

At this level there is so much competition (computer audio relevant with asynch USB) from the likes of dCS, Wadia, Esoteric, Weiss, MSB, Playback Designs, etc, I am sure any of these products when reviewed in isolation will sound absolutely superb. The question becomes how they stack up against each other- are they all on par in terms of SQ each with slightly different emphasis? Do they all start to converge in sound as going up the quality ladder typically results in greater levels of neutrality and transparency? Do feature sets start to set the products apart (i.e. DSD, volume control, power amp driving ability)?

Unfortunately making well informed and considered purchasing decisions is difficult as it is near impossible to arrange in home auditions of several units at the same time from different manufacturers.

I would also love to see basic parametric digital EQ in the stand alone music server products like the MAN301 and aurender. This is one of the reasons I am not moving away from my mac mini as in both Pure Music and Amara I am able to pull down 3 problematic room modes with parametric EQ filters generated from REW.