IGNORED

Article: EMM Labs DAC2X Review

...do you have a way to articulate just how big a difference the EMM Labs piece (at its price point) makes in your system?

Is the DAC2X so much better than the best $5k or $10k solution that it is clear you would rather spend that difference there than anywhere else in your system?

Hi sdolezalek - In the review I compare the 2X to other DACs that I consider very good and use all the time in my system. This enabled me to make a judgement of how much the DAC2X contributed to the sound quality and how much better it is than the others. All the differences I discuss can be attributed to the DAC2X. Listening to everything in the same, very transparent system in which I own the components (no sending stuff back to manufacturers or swapping amps & speakers all the time) with the exception of the piece under review, makes my job much easier than many people without this luxury. The Alpha I mentioned is about $5k and the Debussy is probably close to $11k. Given my current system I'd much rather spend the money on the DAC over anywhere else.

Let me know if I only confused you with my answer. I'll clarify if I can.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Remember folks, Chris' current system is made up of TAD speakers and Spectral analog components. I think it is fair to say that he has a very transparent reference (and no need to spend more $ on these parts of his system to achieve better performance, different, perhaps, but not "better")-so it makes sense that he would be ready to to find the "perfect" DAC, and to evaluate DACs for "perfection". How to spend money to improve ones system is a good question, and spending more on other components than the DAC often makes sense, but considering Chris' references, I would think not-ones own situation may vary.

Well said barrows.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Barrows, I think it bears mentioning that the room itself, and how/where the speakers are placed within it relative to the listener has as large, or arguable a larger impact on sound quality than many/most component changes, especially if speakers have less than optimal off-axis frequency response. Chris, have you measured your system's frequency response at the listener location? Just curious. Thanks.

I haven't measured my room yet but I did have my room setup by very knowledgable colleagues in the industry. Fortunately the room stays the same and the analog components stay the same when I review DACs.

... Also, I was curious if anywhere on this site it your disclose the commercial terms under which you purchase equipment you've reviewed? Thanks.

Hi earflappin - The only component I've purchased that I've reviewed is the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC. I plan to purchase the Alpha USB shortly. My Spectral system and TAD speakers were purchased as my own components not for review. I would love to purchase the DAC2X but I'm in the same situation most other readers, I don't have the money.

The terms of my purchases are not public and also not the subject of this review.

Thanks for the great review, Chris!

Did you get a chance to try the Audioengine D2 SPDIF inputs feeding the DAC2X and see if you experienced the same clicking issues I had?

Thanks!

Yeang

Hi seatrope - I'm using the Audioengine D2 right now connecting via TosLink to the DAC2X. I also hear the clicking noise a few times per minute.

Since Chris was so moved, I wonder, why compare? I know it's heresy, but I'm getting to the point where I just want to enjoy my system. It moves me. I'm sure there are other amps and pre-amps and speakers, but what I hear from my system relaxes me and involves me, sometimes amazes me. Would NOS tubes sound better? How about different cables? Maybe. Maybe. More time running around, less time listening when I have so little time to relax. Just a thought. Chris, I'm happy for you. Enjoy the music.

Hi totdoc - Great to hear you enjoy your system and don't feel the need to change anything. It's a great place to be :~)

well, at least I think this speaks to the sound quality of the USB input:

"I used the USB 90% of the time and AES the other 10%."

i assume this was mostly via CAPS/SOtM, right Chris?

Correct.

However, under the right (or wrong) circumstances an isolated USB to AES converter can be required with any non-isolated DAC. For example, if I setup my system on a couple different power circuits and connect via USB I can produce a lot of noise through the speakers. If I then run the USB through the Alpha USB the noise is gone. If people want to discuss this please start another thread because it can be a topic in and of itself.

Chris,

As someone that already has a PD MPD-5, can you please comment on how the EMM compares on both DSD and PCM source files over USB with the PD DAC? Until I read this review, I was very seriously contemplating buying a second MPD-5 (for a 2nd system), and would love to get your thoughts on how you see this comparison before I pull the trigger.

Many thanks,

-Ken

Hi Ken - I can't in good faith do such a comparison without both units here in my system. Wish I could offer more info for you.

Thank you very much Chris for another excellent review! Because of a review of yours I purchased my Weiss 202 a year ago! I was in a process to upgrade my system to Medea+ but your current review of the EMM has given me more options!

Have you heard the MEDEA+? Can you compare the sound of the MEDEA to the Dac2X? You are generally comparing the sounds of EMM and Weiss, but I believe MEDEA has a completely different sound and it has nothing to do with the rest of the Weiss DACS..

Thanks again for your time and effort! It's always a pleasure to read your reviews!!

Hi ironsienna - I haven't heard the Medea+ for more than a couple minutes at a show.

Interesting comment in the review about enjoying music much more on a high end system. I think it depends. With new music I think it helps to listen on a good system since on a poor one we miss quite a lot of what is going on. However with music I know well my brain fills in the missing stuff which I know is there, even though I can't hear it directly, say via my iPod on a 'plane, I still enjoy music I love on even a mediocre system.

My wife, a professional musician, once said "I'd rather listen to Mozart over the phone than that rubbish on your stereo" I agree with this.

Hi f1eng - I'm in agreement with you and your wife. But, all things being equal (same music) I think a good system enables more enjoyment of our music. If my brain has to work filling in the missing pieces I'm less apt to relax and enjoy the show.

Of course this is just how I operate :~)

Chris

Thank you for great review(as usual)!

What did you use when you compared Alpha stack and DCS Debussy with EMM Dac 2x-was it using separate preamplifier or you connected Alpha/Debussy directly to a amplifier?

Thanks

Hi pawel8 - I connected everything through the Spectral DMC-30SS Series 2 preamp.

Chris, any plans to review the Weiss Medea Plus? Given all the weiss love around here I would have thought their flagship unit should warrant some attention. Daniel is working on a USB option for it so makes it relevant for the non-mac music server crowd.

No plans yet. I just received the Weis MAN301 music server though.

Chris,

Great article on the Dac2. Wish I could afford one.

Just wondering if you've ever considered reviewing the Phasure NOS1 USB dac. I am pretty amazed at the sound and have compared it directly to several setups, both Mac and PC, and including Tim's amazing Mykerinos/PMII rig, which is my ear's reference. The Phasure is really impressive sounding and I think any tweakers out there would be really impressed.

Just wondering if it is on your radar.

Thanks.

/LM

Hi Lee - Thanks for the kind words.

The NOS1 USB isn't on my review radar at the moment.