IGNORED

Article: EMM Labs DAC2X Review

Good review Chris. I knew the review was coming, ceramic PCBs, PSU upgrades, etc. Surprised those changes made such a difference. Have you heard the Invicta in your system?

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

Chris,

Thanks for the great review. Do you have any plans on testing the MSB Diamond Platinum Dac IV with Femto Galaxy clock?

Diamond DAC IV

Femto Galaxy clock....RFLMAO. Gotta love the marketing types that came up with that one. How about Gazillion Intergalactica clock.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

Chris, what top tier DACs haven't you heard at shows or in your system that, therefore, would not factor into your qualitative assessment? Thanks.

Remember folks, Chris' current system is made up of TAD speakers and Spectral analog components. I think it is fair to say that he has a very transparent reference (and no need to spend more $ on these parts of his system to achieve better performance, different, perhaps, but not "better")-so it makes sense that he would be ready to to find the "perfect" DAC, and to evaluate DACs for "perfection". How to spend money to improve ones system is a good question, and spending more on other components than the DAC often makes sense, but considering Chris' references, I would think not-ones own situation may vary.

I think it bears reminding that the room itself and how/where the speakers are placed within it relative to the listener have a large impact on the accuracy/transparency of one's system, arguably larger than most component changes. Chris, have you measured your system's frequency response and if so, would you post it? Also, I was curious if anywhere on this site it your disclose the commercial terms under which you purchase equipment you've reviewed? Thanks.

Remember folks, Chris' current system is made up of TAD speakers and Spectral analog components. I think it is fair to say that he has a very transparent reference (and no need to spend more $ on these parts of his system to achieve better performance, different, perhaps, but not "better")-so it makes sense that he would be ready to to find the "perfect" DAC, and to evaluate DACs for "perfection". How to spend money to improve ones system is a good question, and spending more on other components than the DAC often makes sense, but considering Chris' references, I would think not-ones own situation may vary.

Barrows, I think it bears mentioning that the room itself, and how/where the speakers are placed within it relative to the listener has as large, or arguable a larger impact on sound quality than many/most component changes, especially if speakers have less than optimal off-axis frequency response. Chris, have you measured your system's frequency response at the listener location? Just curious. Thanks.

How about the Invicta Chris? Have you heard it?

Chris,

Great article on the Dac2. Wish I could afford one.

Just wondering if you've ever considered reviewing the Phasure NOS1 USB dac. I am pretty amazed at the sound and have compared it directly to several setups, both Mac and PC, and including Tim's amazing Mykerinos/PMII rig, which is my ear's reference. The Phasure is really impressive sounding and I think any tweakers out there would be really impressed.

Just wondering if it is on your radar.

Thanks.

/LM

Lee, how would you compare and contrast the NOS1 versus Tim's Mykerinos/PMII set-up?

Chris, since you put the DAC2X at the top of your list and you have heard the Mkerinos/PMII, so I presume you feel the DAC2X is better? Or was your qualification only DACs you've heard in your personal system?

Thanks.