IGNORED

I Just Picked Up ...

A mid-week drop-by at the used CD store netted early CD masters of Jackson Browne's "For Everyman," and my favorite Fleetwood Mac, "Tusk." They both sound good, though the vocals feel a bit recessed on "For Everyman."

Tim

I confess. I\'m an audiophool.

Just picked up the portable stereo PA (personal amplifier) that I've wanted for some time now: take a look and try to understand its uniqueness. It REALLY sounds awesome. I already have a good subwoofer solution for it 'in house' too. I am lovin' it!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SFXSSmkIId2/

.. I'm doing too many hours at work to really enjoy it so far this week though... ah well, it will work out.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...
I think the Into the Wild CD is really good. It might have something to do with my huge love for Pearl Jam though :-)

I just picked it for Album of the Evening. I am glad you liked it to. I rented the movie based on the soundtrack.

Sorry for the necro-post.

I just picked it for Album of the Evening. I am glad you liked it to. I rented the movie based on the soundtrack.

Sorry for the necro-post.

How did you even find this thread to work your black magic on...? It was buried DEEP. It's been dead for, oh, +6 years...

So, I just picked up a Gustard - U12, USB->I2s/AES/RCA convertor. Very excited to connect it via I2s to my PWD Mkii and try some DSD DoP for the first time.

• 1 year later...
Hey everyone - Here is a new topic to let the CA readers know what music you just picked up or even a new equipment purchase. I am always interested in what everyone else is getting. Do people pick up new releases on the day they come out or do they read the reviews first etc...

2ca4db86.png

For me, the Seth Avett & Jessica Lea Mayfield Sing Elliott Smith CD wasn't as enjoyable as their KEXP performance concerning it :

[video=youtube;X-EKr5FPFPk]

Anyhow, perhaps, you might like to...

Behind-the-scenes 'recording-of' featurette :

[video=youtube;QyqhAch-B-Q]

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Hi Chris,

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand is one of my favourite albums. Are you also enjoying it?

My recent audio "purchase" was hiring a Spanish G3 dongle while sailing around Majorca and Ibiza with 5 mates. We had unlimited data and as we were relatively close to towns I was able to play them selections from Tidal and Spotify, as well as my own iTunes playlists. System on the boat was my iPhone connected via the aux input into a very basic car radio with rear speakers on the aft deck and front speakers in the cabin.

We spent many sunsets drinking rum and coke, as well as great Spanish reds and whites, while they tried to catch me out on obscure requests. Genre ranged from classical (Vivaldi 4 seasons, Bolero), the great American song book, 50's rock, 60's blues as well as more contemporary stuff.

With the motor off and sails set with a steady 10 knot breeze of the beam we spent many nights cruising empty seas laughing our tits off. Just goes to show that you don't need great equipment to have a great time. One for the memory banks!

My mates were totally blown away by both the sound quality and the range of music that I was able to produce. They thought I was a musical encyclopaedia. Couldn't have done it without what I have learnt here at CA.

All the best,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Hi Chris,

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand is one of my favourite albums. Are you also enjoying it?

My recent audio "purchase" was hiring a Spanish G3 dongle while sailing around Majorca and Ibiza with 5 mates. We had unlimited data and as we were relatively close to towns I was able to play them selections from Tidal and Spotify, as well as my own iTunes playlists. System on the boat was my iPhone connected via the aux input into a very basic car radio with rear speakers on the aft deck and front speakers in the cabin.

We spent many sunsets drinking rum and coke, as well as great Spanish reds and whites, while they tried to catch me out on obscure requests. Genre ranged from classical (Vivaldi 4 seasons, Bolero), the great American song book, 50's rock, 60's blues as well as more contemporary stuff.

With the motor off and sails set with a steady 10 knot breeze of the beam we spent many nights cruising empty seas laughing our tits off. Just goes to show that you don't need great equipment to have a great time. One for the memory banks!

My mates were totally blown away by both the sound quality and the range of music that I was able to produce. They thought I was a musical encyclopaedia. Couldn't have done it without what I have learnt here at CA.

All the best,

Ajax

Forgive the OT: All is possible when sailing, possibly my favorite thing to do on planet Earth.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi Chris,

All the best,

Ajax

Ajax - what an awesome post!! For a few brief moments ...i was on board sailing right along with y'all with that descriptive snippet you painted... Place and time play far more into my music enjoyment than any system upgrade...Thank you!!

After completing my sailing trip I am now spending a few days in London catching up with my mad Irish friend and his wife. I took the opportunity today to visit Graham's hifi in Islington, where 33 years ago I purchased a Linn Sondek turntable, Naim Nait amp and Linn Kann speakers. Bloody hell where did the time go?

It was great going back after all these years to see they are still doing their stuff, the owner is now well over 80. They have added Meridian to their list of suppliers and I picked up the Explorer 2 DAC for a measly 160GBP (demo model and as an Aussie I can claim back the VAT). I'm listening to Jack Johnson "Between the Sheets" using Roon into a pair of basic Bose in ear headphones as I type this. I could list a heap of very positive superlatives, however, for those sitting on the fence with regard to MQA can I suggest you audition this little baby as it sounds absolutely gorgeous with both Redbook and hi res (24/96 and 24/192). Irrespective of where or not MQA is a winner and Tidal proceed with it.

What an absolute bargain ... it has two 3.5mm outputs for either headphones or 3.5mm - RCA hifi connection and is incredibly light and an ideal companion for those who travel but would easily complement a full scale Hi Fi system, especially for those who feel the majority of their money should be spent on the speakers.

• 2 months later...

I just bought Van Morrison's 70's live album "Too late to stop now" ... fantastic selection of his greatest tune sung with real gusto in front of a very tight and driving rhythm section - an absolute must for Van fans.

Maybe my last physical purchase as I have been really impressed with the Roon / Tidal combination, however, I wish they would use some common sense and produce a manual. I really can't understand their (and J River) logic. The core functions will not change and it's not as hard to keep up to date as they claim having installed software myself into a small business. if it is kept live on the net upgrades can be easily incorporated. Really poor from a customer service perspective.

I have some spare time at the moment and have been haunting pawn shops purchasing really good stuff at around a 5th of the original sale price (mostly for my son's room). All items work great with a 3 month warranty and shows that with little bit of knowledge good inexpensive sound can be had quite easily.

Also purchased a Dragonfly Red DAC and I am very impressed with sound quality but feel the similarly priced Meridian Explorer 2 may have the edge, however, need to do some more listening. Both provide fantastic flexibility and sound quality with the Dragonfly winning the features list with its lower power requirement making it compatible with smartphones. Either of these two inexpensive DACs combined with Roon/Tidal fronting the "used" gear from the pawn shop demonstrate that with a little bit of knowledge great music and sound is inexpensive and available to everyone.

Assuming you have a computer, and subscribe to Tidal, you can have virtually unlimited music and a great first system (or second system) second hand for around US$350-400.

e.g. Dragonfly Black (new) + Marantz amp 50 W ZS 5300 Multi Zone + Tannoy Reveal speakers + Boston Acoustic RB6 Sub

Finally, I have never been a fan of subs, preferring a tight and accurate base and believing that they create a bloated and boomy sound, however, I have decided I am wrong if multiple subs are used, and properly located and integrated with mains, such that they remain understated and complement the mains instead of dominating the sound. I am currently looking to add two to my Devialet 200 system.

I'm having a lot of fun!

• 4 weeks later...