IGNORED

The Great Cable and Interconnect Swindle: An Etiology

23 hours ago, gmgraves said:

You may have a point about USB needing extra care to sound its best, but I’m not overgeneralizing. I was being very specific when I said that *I* find USB to be inadequate for audio.
I have the latest iteration of the Schiit Yiggy. when I first connected it to the MacBook Pro that I use as a “music server” using the aforementioned Audioquest Diamond 2 meter USB cable, my Mac couldn’t see the Yiggy! It never even showed up in the audio preference panel. A call to Schiit answered the question. It turns out that their latest USB implementation is not backward compatible to Mac OSes before 10.13 and I was running 10.11.6! In fact the MacBook Pro I am using has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor operating at 2.3 GHz, and apple says that 10.11.6 is the highest level OS that this particular Mac can run. Luckily, someone here (I don’t recall who) put me onto a hack that allowed me to upgrade to 10.15. Now the Yiggy/AudioQuest combo works with USB. I still find that both Toslink and Coax SPDIF sound better than this fancy new USB setup, though.

The way I see it the "point about USB needing extra care to sound its best" is no different to any other implementation, just different challenges.

The fact that there continues to be incremental improvements in USB audio, and not spdif, relates to USB's popularity and ubiquity and maybe a recognition of inherent spdif limitations. As JS once said "the perils spdif are well known" (2004). Spdif has been seen by many as a flawed audio interface dating back to last century technology.The USB technology seen in more expensive DACS is filtering down into everyday priced DACS and DIY implementations.

I would in fact be wary of any DAC that cannot produce at least as good a sound from its USB implementation compared to its spdif connection. A quick google of the Yiggy found comments that USB sounded better than spdif, of course not a statement of fact, just what I would expect.

Neither spdif or usb interface is arguably best suited for audio. That said, I have never heard spdif or AES/EBU produce anywhere near the current levels of stunningly awesome sound reproduction from high end USB DACS. YMMV.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

55 minutes ago, PYP said:

And what do you think about ethernet as an interface?

I think it has some theoretical advantages but then again so do optical connections.

For me, I don't stream over the local network or internet as I view this as an unnecessary complication and hasn't offered a sound quality advantage to my ears. That said I haven't extensively auditioned things like the MSB network renderer and/or related Uptone ethernet products.

IIRC MSB when I last listened were sending both ethernet or USB data to an I2S board. Whatever the implementation, if an Ethernet interface sounded better i would not hesitate to switch camps. It's just that my USB implementation sounds so damn good I seem to have lost my upgrade-itis of 30+ years, except for nuancing my current setup.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

38 minutes ago, PYP said:

It is great to have all the main gear in place and simply enjoy discovering music.  For me, Qobuz integrated into Roon is a music discovery machine. 

Totally agree it is fun to discover new music but for me this is a separate goal to striving for the best sound possible (but not saying they are mutually exclusive goals). When I find new music I download it, incorporate it into playlists within JRiver etc.

I find that with over a TB of music I keep on discovering 'new' stuff or rediscovering 'old' stuff.

JRiver also has "cloudplay" of curated lists and I must revisit this. I also listen to spotify and even Youtube to listen to new music and artists, so I am not against streaming per se. I have bookmarked AS music threads and have discovered gems this way as well. I also can still enjoy music on my car radio.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

33 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Obviously MMDoesV!

Viva la V, George.

I replaced my beloved Mark Levinson 31.5/30.6 state of the art combo for a USB laptop/ USB DAC many years ago as the latter sounded better. The laptop has long since been replaced with a dedicated server.

Now, talk about *negative* expectation bias as someone wanting USB to sound bad - I LOVED the ML's and they cost an arm and a leg to buy, at a time when I had far less money to spend on audio. I still have the AES/spdif/optical based MLs as I can't bear to part with them. USB audio just sounds better than spdif, as does ethernet implementations I have heard.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

13 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Due mainly to the Bean Counters these days, Coax SPDIF is not usually well implemented. Even my old Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3 used decent transformer isolation, both at it's Input and an Output . Do that at the sending end as well , at a fraction of the price many are spending to make USB sound half decent, and also use proper 75ohm connectors at both ends, and Coax SPDIF will take some beating.:P

X-DAC V3 Digital in-out.jpg

Hi Alex, I'm not buying that its a cost thing. I can well imagine that manufacturers will skimp on their spdif implementations, no challenge there.

However I have owned arguably state of the art spdif gear and very expensive current gear (Kalliope) that has 3 spdif  BNC inputs. USB sounds better to my ears, no contest.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

31 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Yet my DIY DAC crapped all over the Bricasti M1, even when inadvertently fed Toslink via HDMI from the Oppo 103 to the TV and back.

This led our mutual friend into trying to force the Bricasti M1s output stage into Class A operation.

Do you also use items such as Iso Regens and something way more expensive than a normal  consumer grade USB cable ?

Hi Alex

your DIY DAC sounded extraordinarily good but I don't agree it "crapped all over the Bricasti M1". Dave M was so impressed with the M1 he in fact bought it from me. He  described it as "perfect". Yes I know he later modified the output stage presumably making it better than "perfect" 😁

The fact that your DIY DAC can stand in this company is a testament to your knowledge and skills.Truly amazing !

It doesn't change that USB sounds better than spdif (for my ears).

Yes I have an isoregen and tried various USB cables, I think the Curious is in at the moment. That said I have used it with a printer usb cable and no added tweaks. It still sounds better than AES/spdif. I still have a $3000 NBS AES interconnect (I didnt pay that). It is fair to say the Kalliope DAC does have full galvanic isolation, doesn't need 5v handshake from pc, and uses its own internal ultracap to power usb input and is therefore optimized for usb.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

7 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

cables cannot add anything to a signal because they are not active components.

What if they modulate how other things may or may not be added such as RFI/EMI

Cables can only subtract.

Evidence or assumption based on theory ? What if they 'add' distortion

So if two cables sound different from one another, it’s because they are subtracting different things in differing amounts.

Your hypothesis and a possibility

Really, It’s that simple.

not to everyone

What is not so simple, in fact, it’s downright elusive, is how to measure and quantify those differences in any way other than by listening.

the great audio debate in a nutshell. Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.

Make no mistake, my friend, boutique cables are “snake oil” and the fact that there is no way to quantify the differences in cables, or to characterize how a specific cable will act in a specific application is used by the marketing departments of these boutique cable manufacturers to their advantage in selling their wares.

A conspiracy theory .....based on, well,  theory. bah humbug!.......I say listen and enjoy your cables😁😜

Sound Minds Mind Sound

9 hours ago, Summit said:

What I object to is the description of a way of transfer a digital signal as being flawed. It is almost humours then it is stated by the all-cables-sound-the-same-brigade.

I respectfully disagree.I don't think the second statement follows the first and regarding the first, I have no problem with identifying flaws in an interface or pretty much anything else for that matter.

The questions are as I see it, does the flaw exist, does it matter, can it be fixed or can you adapt or work around it. Most of the latter comes with better implementation and looking at the task required.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

14 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Many people such as George and myself don't prefer USB Audio, ...........  In some cases though, they need to use USB because of the lack of a Coax SPDIF output, as in many cases, onboard Optical Output is mediocre at best.

Hi Alex, this maybe speaking to Allan's point?

Most stand alone transports or players would have coax spdif out but many pc's may well not.So, for a pc why not just buy a sound card with spdif out at a fraction of the cost of a Berkeley Alpha USB to SPDIF converter.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

19 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Can you install a Soundcard in a Mac Mini? Does a Mac Mini have Coax SPDIF Out , or does it only have onboard Toslink ?

Not being a Mac user , I dunno. The only hits I got on google was re mac Mini dropping spdif as "obsolete".

19 minutes ago, sandyk said:

IIRC, USB Audio mainly evolved due to the demands of Mac Mini and affordable Laptop owners.

Not sure this is true Alex but we are long passed that now 😜

3 minutes ago, Allan F said:

A USB to SPDIF converter is/was a requirement for certain DACs, e.g. Berkeley, original Bricasti, etc. that have/had no USB input.

Yes agreed, and I know Bricasti quickly changed their tune on this.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 hour ago, sandyk said:
6 hours ago, 4est said:

Who said that you NEED to spend $100s more anyway? I think all four (ethernet, spdif, optical and usb) are all capable of great sound, and much depends on what the device has been optimized for. I have the original Regen on the front of a hopped up Amanero USB> I2S/DSD card as much to give the card clean power as anything. I hope you will not argue with that.

Perhaps you are unable to hear the flaws that I can with USB, including it's susceptibility to capacitance to earth using a very low noise external Linear PSU ? I can reliably hear the small amount of degradation caused by simply connecting the shield wire of a quality R Core transformer to mains Earth. ( I fitted a toggle switch on the rear panel )

The way I hear it, current USB audio sounds better than spdif.

The way I see it , "needing to spend $100s more" to optimize USB audio ie to make it sound even better still, is one of the main advantages of USB audio, as in there is ongoing research and development. Spdif would appear to be deemed "obsolete"  in some quarters and that was my prediction many years ago when I 'jumped ship'. There had been ample discussion of its limitations and the prospect of no R&D to address them.

The cost of ongoing R&D in USB audio is *relatively* modest IMO (even minor if only "a few hundred dollars") and IMO well worth paying. R&D also came with a $ tag in previous decades when spdif reigned.

Will Ethernet audio be the future? I don't know. If it sounds better to me and USB audio is dumped as obsolete with no further R&D (justifiable or not), I will jump ship once again. I will say what a PIA but, 'the king is dead, long live the king'.

Sound Minds Mind Sound