IGNORED

New Chord QuteHD DSD and 384/32 Capable DAC

True, but it seems most happy QuteHD owners got an external USB-SPDIF convertor to feed it. I was trying to get a very good USB-capable DAC and the QuteHD alone does't seem to cut it. No alternative for me yet in the same price range (not one which I could listen to in my own room before buying it).

Not true of this Qute owner. I am completely thrilled over USB. In fact, it displaced an exceptionally fine DAC for redbook, the 47 Labs. And on HD...simply outstanding.

As for a good liner PSU for the Qute, someone here said they used Squeeze Upgrade's BEST OF BOTH WORLD supply, ie LPSU + SqueezeBooster filter...134euros plus delivery.

That's good to hear. Any word on the outcome of using that linear PSU? It seems reviews have just begun on the QuteHD (except the few which followed the launch) and nobody really tested what a linear PSU would do to the sound.

Try here: GTG at Lenehan Audio in Mid Feb - Page 4 - Lenehan Audio - StereoNET Australia

and here

Chord QuteHD DAC Listening Impressions - CD (Including DAC's) & Other Digital Sources - StereoNET Australia

See also post #39 in this very thread:

PJ03029174 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join Date Dec 2012

Location South Wales UK

Posts 15

Hi

I've recently purchased this DAC and upgraded the power supply to one called "Best of Two worlds" Havnt done any A to B testing but initial impressions are really good. Very detailed and Melvins right about the bass (even on my Quad 57 speakers)

I plan to do some A to B on the weekend against my old DAC (Cary Xciter) to see which one i keep, i really like the Cary and just want to test soundstage and presentation against the two. The QuteHD is much more convenient for me because it can do everything over usb where the Cary needs BNC or Optical to get to 24/196. I have tried a DSD ISO through the QuteHD and Jriver and was very impressed, not quite sure about the soundstage yet but its a new dac and think i need to adjust or allow abit more burn-in, i've had it a week

Try here: GTG at Lenehan Audio in Mid Feb - Page 4 - Lenehan Audio - StereoNET Australia

and here

Chord QuteHD DAC Listening Impressions - CD (Including DAC's) & Other Digital Sources - StereoNET Australia

See also post #39 in this very thread:

PJ03029174 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join Date Dec 2012

Location South Wales UK

Posts 15

Hi

I've recently purchased this DAC and upgraded the power supply to one called "Best of Two worlds" Havnt done any A to B testing but initial impressions are really good. Very detailed and Melvins right about the bass (even on my Quad 57 speakers)

I plan to do some A to B on the weekend against my old DAC (Cary Xciter) to see which one i keep, i really like the Cary and just want to test soundstage and presentation against the two. The QuteHD is much more convenient for me because it can do everything over usb where the Cary needs BNC or Optical to get to 24/196. I have tried a DSD ISO through the QuteHD and Jriver and was very impressed, not quite sure about the soundstage yet but its a new dac and think i need to adjust or allow abit more burn-in, i've had it a week

Well Norman, this is an interesting set of comments. People like the Chord, but in its almost $5k configuration! Isn't it frustrating this hobby of ours? The Chord reacts wonderfully to a $2k Offramp and a $700 linear power supply. But what other DACS would also respond to those drugs? Maybe other DACs would not have the same synergy, or would vault way ahead of the Chord, not to mention the overall costs involved. It's these numerous variables that make this computer audio hobby so much fun (and frustrating..at the same time).

P.S. BTW, I'm not at all saying these comparisons and comments aren't fair. They are! A DAC is a tool, a piece of equipment in the signal path. If it marries up with other peices to make great music, then so be it. it's one reason i liked the Exasound E20 DAC so much; with a simple plug-n-play swap of power supplies from the included wallwart to my Hynes SR3-12 and the DAC sounded wonderful!! But yes, it's now a $3k investment to do that. Argh!

I agree in principle Ted, but the Chord is no slouch with just the SMPS. Read the McLean review above.

The Best of 2 worlds power supply is only about $160 plus delivery and I am waiting to hear more feedback on that ...MainsCableRus is about $400. A Hynes SR1-12 is £200, or so.

I can tell you that with the plethora of quality sub-$500 usb converters coming out, that getting a $200 PSU and a $250 (I know one GREAT one will be out in a month or so) USB converter, then one does not have to break the bank for a quality turbo boost to the already capable little DAC.

Heck in practical terms, perhaps all that is needed is to add a $200 iFi IUsb to the mix and voila, any USB issue may vanish!

Give it some time for people to flush out the possibilities.

I disagree with the logic that saying just because a $2k Offramp worked well with the Chord therefore a "good" $200 USB converter will as well. That's my point. These recipes are not just about ingredients, they are about specific ingredients. Adding any ol' linear ps is NOT the same as adding the specific $700 one in the shoot out. Believe me, I wish my CAPS server responded as well to my Parts Express linear ps as it does my Hynes SR7-EHD!! :) But alas, it doesn't. So until we know otherwise the Chord beat all those other DACs in that Aussie shootout ONLY as a $4800 setup.

Oh, but I think Bhobba had OTHER opinions than the shootout consensus and will continue his evaluation.

I know of an upcoming converter that will be integer mode capable and should sound sweet with A+.

I take your point, but still feel that there are cheaper ways to arrive to much the same endpoint in this particular case.

I will test out the Qute with USB vs other ports vs Lindemann vs modded OR4 and report back, but it will take a while, as I also have cable variable issues.

Some L-PSU feedback:

Fully Regulated Linear PSU's from MCRU/LDA

Over the last 12 months or so I have been selling a range of regulated linear psu's built by Nick Gorham who some of you may know. They all make an improvement to sound quality, in some instances it is night and day (like the squeezebox touch as an example). Almost anything powered by DC up to circa 1 amps benefits from the PSU Nick builds. It is a 2 box affair with the final regs in a smaller case which sits next to the load being driven, i.e the equipment, reason for this is written below in Nick's own words.

Some of the PSU's have been reviewed in the HI-Fi press, all have been awarded 5 stars, we know they work well from the 100's of customer feedbacks we receive weekly, here is the latest feedback from a user of Chord's new DAC which is supplied with a smps as standard but it seems does benefit from a linear PSU. (feedback edited slightly as price was wrong)

I bought the 'cables r us' power supply for a Chord Qute Dac to replace the standard power supply. The difference was outstanding: less sibilance, better definition, improved imaging and a big increase in the quality and quantity of the bass. It was impressive straight out of the box but 'broke in' after about 24 hours and took another step up in quality. The power supply was extremely well finished, so much so that you would think you were looking at something that was closer to £1000 than £200.

I ordered it for next day delivery and it arrived on time. David e-mailed several times to check that everything had arrived and that I was with happy with the product.

Highly recommended from start to finish. Well done David and thank you.

Some L-PSU feedback:

Fully Regulated Linear PSU's from MCRU/LDA

I was eying exactly this PSU for the QuteHD, but since I haven't made up my mind on the DAC I will buy, this investment had to be postponed.

I am really curious which of the 2 could make more of a difference with a QuteHD:

1. A very good linear PSU (thinking about this MCRU psu)

2. A very good USB-SPDIF convertor (thinking about the EVO stack)

Of course that 3=1+2 would be the best, but hey we are more than doubling the Qute's price!

Well there is the Squeeze-upgrade option too for about €150 delivered. I am going to try that first...then maybe later the MCRUS or the Hynes SR3 option. Current rating needed is just 0.6amps, so the Hynes will work. I can also try the first 2 on the Dspeaker, which needs a rating of 1.6amps. The first 2 options have a 2.5amp limit.

OK a few comments guys.

IMHO with this DAC a linear power supply made a bigger difference than my Off-Ramp did - that's the first thing I would upgrade.

I have tried many USB converters and the Off-Ramp has always been king - but expensive. The Audiophellio2 is nearly as good and much cheaper so if you are not after the ultimate its what I would get. I have zero doubt the Audiophellio will, even though I haven't tried it on the Chord, improve it significantly. I have not found any USB converter at a significantly lower price than the Audiophellio that cuts the mustard - certainly not in the $200 range. And when the fact the Audiophellio direct injects is taken into account so you do not need a quality SPDIF cable it in fact works out the cheapest option IMHO.

At a GTG last Saturday the Chord was compared to a Level 2 PDX, a modded WFS, and a very high quality French Kora Hermes DAC. To my ears the Chord won - but opinions varied. Interestingly my beloved PDX came last and everyone thought so - even the manufacturer who was also present - it turned out to be the the output tubes used - when changed it was much more competitive - but that was done the next day. Regardless of the exact ordering everyone agreed all the DAC's there were of very high quality.

Having heard DSD via the Chord without the benefit of an upgraded PS IMHO it bests any PCM DAC I have heard and is the real reason to check one out in my view.

The other interesting thing is I think overall the quality of DAC's now available at reasonable prices (admittedly on some of them like the WFS mods need to be done) has improved out of sight recently. I have been at many GTG's, comparisons, shootouts etc where a PDX was present and it normally murders the competition - this is the first time it didn't - things are definitely on the improve - make no mistake about it.

Thanks

Bill

Bill, IIRC you have also evaluated DACs from Playback Designs and several others in the >$5K range. Do you feel the Chord betters them? What about the Mytek?

Dan

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Lampizator G4L4with on the fly conversion 24/176 is a virtual tie with the stock chord Qute playing native DSD.

Lampizator wins on PCM no doubt. The L4 is just MORE of everything, especially top end and large bass. Chord may be a bit tighter and surprisingly the midrange was close, where I expected the Lampi to trounce it. Chord may step up with top notch PSU. I will try with a Sq-upgrade PSU in the next several days.

Lindemann DDC ($400 now, as $650 before) with A+ Integer mode was not appreciably different to the modded OR4. I will have to retest more as it was superficial.

Bill, IIRC you have also evaluated DACs from Playback Designs and several others in the >$5K range. Do you feel the Chord betters them? What about the Mytek?

Haven't heard the Mytek.

I think via PCM the Chord bests the PD. However, although I have not done the comparison yet, via DSD the PD has it over the Chord without an upgraded PS. I will do a comparison when I get the battery PS for the chord.

Indeed I own, have owned, and heard many DAC's > $5K. IMHO the Chord when fed with a low jitter source and an upgraded PS is in that league - make no mistake about it. But please do keep in mind there is a lot of personal preference in this wacky hobby of ours. I have had heaps of people over my place for DAC comparisons and some preferred a Metrum fed by an Audiophellio to my much more expensive PDX for example - and heaps of other similar stuff as well that differs to my view.

When you read things like what I, Wisnon and others post it is what we hear - use it purely as a guide to seek out what you should listen to. There is no shortcut - there are no gurus who will lead you to audio nirvana - you must listen to gear - constantly listen to gear - its the only way.

Thanks

Bill

Lindemann DDC ($400 now, as $650 before) with A+ Integer mode was not appreciably different to the modded OR4. I will have to retest more as it was superficial.

Yes - integer mode is the great leveler. Via integer mode an Audiophellio is excruciatingly close to the OR which doesn't use it. Although I have not heard it I have been told a Berkeley USB with Integer mode bested an OR - before the OR was easily better.

Personally nowadays I would get an Audiophellio2 and use integer mode rather than spending heaps more on an OR - Steve Nugent (the maker of the OR) needs to update it to take advantage of integer mode IMHO.

Thanks

Bill

Wait a month.

A $250 USB converter shocker will be launched. Shhhhh...

From iFi. I don't think it is a secret.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC