IGNORED

AudioQuest DragonFly 24/96 Asynchronous USB DAC / Headphone Amp

I was wondering if Gordon or anyone could tell us the output impedance for this DAC- important for low impedance IEM headphones.

Tim,

It should work fine with IEM's low impedance, the spec sheet says 12ohms minimum load, but I think that is to keep their specs true. Most of the IEM's are greater than that anyways.

~~~~

Gang,

Look nobody is an expert at listening. Everyone does it differently and that is why talking about products is not as good as listening to them. I assume that some people buy and try and I have nothing against that. But I think you would be better served to go listen to something before you buy it.

Thanks

Gordon

What I would like to know is what is Gordon working on now that does go into my Vintage McIntosh amp?

Well the NAMM show is mid July so I am working on my iKodek 500 series 32 bit AD/DA converter. I am also going to show my new guitar amplifier series Dingo and V1.

BNL-RR-SC3-lr.jpg

Ed Robertson BNL back stage with his Dingo Combo Amplifier - Red Rocks, Colorado

As for dacs.... sorry have to keep that stuff private :)

Thanks

Gordon

Why don't the DF to sit flush? Is there a way to make it flush? The cable weights down the DF.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]970[/ATTACH]

I notice that too. At least with my iMac, it is vertical. Ironically, those thick heavy audio quest cables will weigh it down more.

Why don't the DF to sit flush? Is there a way to make it flush? The cable weights down the DF.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]970[/ATTACH]

How in the world could they possibly design the DragonFly so that it would sit "flush" with all the various varieties of computers out there, the USB ports being various heights above the desk, some horizontal and some vertical . . . ?

FWIW, on my Windows laptop, where the USB ports run up and down (i.e., vertical), it sits perfectly on my desktop :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I do like the sound and build quality.

My WD hard drive cable and other USB thumb drives sits flush so I was just wondering why the DF doesn't.

If I had to guess, I'd say they probably didn't want people complaining that it wouldn't work because it wouldn't plug all the way in on some computers. Far worse than what you're complaining about since it's not a $5 thumb drive.

I just got my Dragonfly yesterday and I'm really enjoying it with my MacBook Pro. I'm confused as to which volume control to use in order to take advantage of the analog volume control in the Dragonfly. Do I use the system volume control or the iTunes volume control, or does it matter? The documentation is unclear to me. I know one should be set at 100% and the other should control the variable analog output.

I've only used it with Audirvana, but in that case, it is the audirvana's own volume control. However, I think if you are using it with iTunes, it is the system master volume control, rather than iTune's own, that you want to use. Keep the iTunes volume control maxed out.

11-1%20%285%29.jpg

Do I use the system volume control or the iTunes volume control, or does it matter?
Did you try it both ways?
..with iTunes, it is the system master volume control, rather than iTune's own, that you want to use. Keep the iTunes volume control maxed out.
Wgscott has to be right because on an earlier Gordon Rankin Streamlength USB it says in Asian:
Setting the volume slider on the computer will result hardware in the Proton to set the analog volume control for the outputs to the desired setting.

The Driver smiled when he lost his pursuer...

Gordon's digitally controlled analog volume, like that found on the Wavelength Proton and the Dragonfly, will not cause you to degrade your sound when you reduce your computers volume, like it does on the Streamlength Halide Design Dac HD and other designs.

8_dragonfly_summerrrrrrrrr.jpg

The Driver smiled when he lost his pursuer...

Picked one up today so I'll have it for my 'pilgrimage' back to my high school reunion for some listening and editing I need to do on the plane. It's a great little DAC - out of the box it sounds quite good, very balanced and relaxed without etch with a nice level of detail that is just plain musical and fun. I'm listening with Amarra 2.4.1 through AT ATH-M50 headphones which the DragonFly drives nicely. Volume control via the Mac audio device volume control works great.