IGNORED

AudioQuest DragonFly 24/96 Asynchronous USB DAC / Headphone Amp

It arrived. It was here when I came home to take care of the puppies.

I may have to get another one. The biggest single advantage over everything else is that it is portable. It is extremely small and unobtrusive. It is the size of a conventional USB "thumb drive." I am currently listening from my MacBook Air, via AudirvanaPlus, this thing, and my Bower and Wilkins P5 headphones. The is the first time I have actually enjoyed using these headphones at home (usually I just use them on airplanes).

The fit and finish is quite nice. I may have to stop making fun of AudioQuest.

I didn't have to read any instructions. I just plugged it in and it worked.

Volume control:

There is no knob or any physical moving part. I have to take their word for it that it is analogue volume control. It sounds fine. When I am adjusting it I can hear a very faint "pip pip pip" but it is fine one I am done.

I am using Audirvana's "DAC Only" volume control setting, to avoid the software dithering anything (I assume).

One irritation: The keyboard mute and volume down buttons work properly with Audirvana Plus, but the volume up button does not. I need to check this on another computer before I conclude it is a bug.

Sound quality is quite good.

I have some Audioquest Copperhead cables that I used to connect a CD player to an amp. They are not in use as I migrate away from a CD player to a computer. Is there any reason why a converter that lets you go from a mini headphone plug to rca together with the copperheads would be inferior to a cable that had the mini plug built into it (for sake of argument of comparable price as the Copperheads, which if I recall are around $100)?

Perhaps this question is too specialized and should be broken out to its own thread, but it certainly applies to the Dragonfly.

Second question if you can do well this way, I found a $10 converter from A.Q. does it need something more expensive and if so any suggestions are welcome. I'd love to avoid buying new cables.

Gang,

Sorry, but for some reason I was not getting this thread?

~~~~

Volume control...

Many dacs do digital volume control for those work like this:

Interface (SPDIF, USB Firewire) --->DAC===> output

Here the Interface usually by means of what is called I2C or SPI controls variables in the dac chip to alter the output volume.

In the DragonFly like the Proton this is done in the analog domain as follows:

Interface--->DAC===>Output Driver + Volume===>

Here the Interface uses I2C to talk to the output driver + volume control to change the volume in the analog domain.

Above --- is I2S digital audio stream and === is analog voltage.

USB allows volume conditioning directly which is used here. This means the volume control is part of the system wide volume control located on the system tool bar and NOT in the application. While some direct interfaces do allow these two to be linked.

~~~~~~~~

Halide HD and DragonFly

Companies who work with me to deliver USB dacs can have me design the unit totally or do everything except the interface themselves. Halide designs their own dac circuitry and output designs. I only work on the USB interface section with them. For the DargonFly I did all the design except for the enclosure. Acceptance was done as a team the way all AudioQuest products are designed.

There will be a "Dragon Tail" at some point which has the same look feel as the DragonFly it self and will look as an extension.

~~~~~~~

Yes this will work with Linux...

30 PIN IOS is limited to 32/192 at this point but you would need special hardware and app to do that.

I think I answered everyone's questions.

Thanks

Gordon

Gordon, thank you so much for your contribution! Obviously, a lot of interest in this device - I'm loving mine. Congratulations on a very useful and high-quality device :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Gordon why was the Dragonfly chosen to output with 3.5mm TRS headphone jack? That for me is a real let down. It looks limited to be used with small headphones (in ear, earbuds, small supra-aurals), because using bigger circumaurals demand more power, and also there is hardly any manufacturer of hi-fi cables that make them with 3.5mm TRS plug.

Why not as RCA jacks which is the standard for home theaters/hifi?

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red