IGNORED

AudioQuest DragonFly 24/96 Asynchronous USB DAC / Headphone Amp

On other DACs like this, you wind up setting the volume at around 90% when using it as a fixed volume device. Full provides some amplification for headphones, and is a bit too hot for going into a preamp.

Don't know if that is the case with the DragonFly or not, but I would be cautious until the facts about it come out.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

On other DACs like this, you wind up setting the volume at around 90% when using it as a fixed volume device. Full provides some amplification for headphones, and is a bit too hot for going into a preamp.

Don't know if that is the case with the DragonFly or not, but I would be cautious until the facts about it come out.

-Paul

From their brochure:

"Connecting to a traditional preamplifier or AV receiver, DragonFly can be set to a “fixed” output mode by turning the volume to maximum, allowing it to behave like a CD or Blu-ray player."

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Bill, I think you're just wondering if there is a knob or . . . there is no knob, the device is solid with no moving parts. It simply follows the volume you set in your music player or overall via your system volume. How that's actually implemented inside the device is something I can't answer.

Thanks. The part in bold is all I really wanted to know.

Based on this, I am about to buy one. The plumber that just installed my water heater charged me more than this for a couple extra pipes that I probably didn't really need...

Just ordered it on Amazon. Maybe I will get it on Saturday...

I'm pretty sure you'll really like it - it takes the output I was already really happy with (i.e., native from mostly Apple devices) and makes it OMG-worthy :)

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I have a $100 NuForce micro-DAC doing this now. I connect that to a Velodyne Microvee and then to AudioEngine A2 speakers. I am hoping this will be a bit of a bump up in performance. If not, I will have to resort to cables with wolves on them, rather than DACs with dragonflies.

It would be really cool if this worked like the Wavelength Proton where the computer's volume control operated the DAC's analog control.

I don't quite get this. You're volume control would still be in digital domain. No analog vc benefits? Is that right?

I have a $100 NuForce micro-DAC doing this now. I connect that to a Velodyne Microvee and then to AudioEngine A2 speakers. I am hoping this will be a bit of a bump up in performance. If not, I will have to resort to cables with wolves on them, rather than DACs with dragonflies.

WG-I'd be interested in hearing how it sounds in your main system, compared to the Halide or the Peachtree. Just to get an idea of how good it really is.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

032312Audioquest-600.jpg

I don't quite get this. You're volume control would still be in digital domain.
I know what you mean, the only way a digital volume control can reduce sound is by degradation of the signal by destroying bits. The Dragonfly has its volume on the analog side.

The Driver smiled when he lost his pursuer...

I don't quite get this. You're volume control would still be in digital domain. No analog vc benefits? Is that right?

There's a neat bit of magic where the puter's volume control runs the little amp's *analog* volume control (64 steps).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Personally, if I had a stable workstation - I work from home and literally work from my recliner most of the day, so doesn't apply LOL - I'd use the DragonFly in preference to direct from iPad / iPod setup. As it stands, I will use it when it's convenient and I expect to be sitting in one place - at a desk, in a hotel, etc., for a few hours at a time - the rest of the time, I'll just jack into my iPhone or iPad, whichever is handy ;)

I'm also one of those folks who seldom gets out their laptop in flight, even for transocean flights - just seems like too much fuss and too many wires (power cords, various cables, etc.). I either read, listen to music or watch videos on my iPad . . .until the power runs down, then I sleep ;)

Well, finished the first leg of the trip and on layover. Used the Dragonfly for extended period for the first time.

- Sound from it is *much* better than direct from MacBook Pro (which is pretty good itself), using Audirvana Plus. No comparison. This is with Etymotic ER-4P IEMs.

- I did manage to get my DSD files onto the MBP and listened to nearly all of the Savall performance of the Brandenburg Concertos. Absolutely sublime.

- No muss no fuss. Terrifically convenient - put laptop on tray table, plug in Dragonfly to USB port, insert IEM pin into Dragonfly, enjoy.

- Dragon Tail is definitely needed. Just the 2" or so the Dragonfly sticks out from the MBP really does matter. Insane how narrow airplane seats are. Last time I sat in a seat that narrow it was at Fenway, built 100 years ago for much smaller, thinner humans.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Well, finished the first leg of the trip and on layover. Used the Dragonfly for extended period for the first time.

- Sound from it is *much* better than direct from MacBook Pro (which is pretty good itself), using Audirvana Plus. No comparison. This is with Etymotic ER-4P IEMs.

- I did manage to get my DSD files onto the MBP and listened to nearly all of the Savall performance of the Brandenburg Concertos. Absolutely sublime.

- No muss no fuss. Terrifically convenient - put laptop on tray table, plug in Dragonfly to USB port, insert IEM pin into Dragonfly, enjoy.

- Dragon Tail is definitely needed. Just the 2" or so the Dragonfly sticks out from the MBP really does matter. Insane how narrow airplane seats are. Last time I sat in a seat that narrow it was at Fenway, built 100 years ago for much smaller, thinner humans.

It does sound great, doesn't it? Thanks for providing immediate feedback - I'm traveling tomorrow (will be away from home for two weeks), so will be using it a lot over the next little bit.

How did you get the Savall DSD files? I have ordered the SACD / CD, but I will only be able to rip the CD layer - wish there were more sources of downloadable DSD :/

John, will get back to you.

Meanwhile this thing has a million and one uses: out of the air and into a rental car, radio nothing, so hook up the aux (mini plug to mini plug) cable to the aux input, and voila, 1200 songs on shuffle play in Audirvana. Wife singing along, everyone's happy.

Amazon still hasn't shipped mine. So much for this Prime 2 day delivery. Grrr.

Well, to have gotten it today, you would have had to order it from stock by ~noon yesterday and pay extra for 1-day, right? And Prime 2-day doesn't count Saturday and Sunday. So means you'll get it Tuesday (or possibly Monday, if they ship it on Sunday, as they sometimes do).

I've often been flabbergasted by how quickly I receive merchandise from Amazon - once received a multipurpose laser printer less than 24 hours after I ordered it and frequently get items overnight instead of 2-day with no extra charge. Have had a family Prime membership for several years now, and it certainly pays for itself very quickly if you buy a lot from Amazon :)

I'm not seriously complaining. But I did notice they now say backordered, so maybe that is what is going on. With Prime, I've often ordered things on Friday and had them arrive on Monday. My schedule is such that it often will take me considerably longer than that to go to a hardware store or something, so I've been pretty much buying everything with Prime lately, since I've already paid for it.

especial636-p.jpg

Isn't this the same conversion as the DAC HD, just in a different user interface. Do you see any reason that it is not giving you the same sound?

Sorry, not understanding the question. Same as what?

dac_hd_enclosure.png

Good morning,

Seeing how it uses Gordon Rankin’s Streamlength USB protocol, and accepts Music Files Up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution just like the Halide Design Dac HD.

Isn't it the same Dac in a mobile interface?

dac_hd_enclosure.png

Good morning,

Seeing how it uses Gordon Rankin’s Streamlength USB protocol, and accepts Music Files Up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution just like the Halide Design Dac HD.

Isn't it the same Dac in a mobile interface?

Never heard the DAC HD, so I have no idea how similar or different they may sound. I don't know about the circuitry of each (except that the Dragonfly has a built-in analog amp that's not in the DAC HD), or the programming, beyond the fact that each has Streamlength firmware (what differences there might or might not be in the Streamlength versions of the two pieces, I don't know either). I can say the DAC HD has a built-in Wireworld Starlight USB cable that the Dragonfly lacks, and built-in analog cabling with two Eichman Silver Bullet RCA terminations presumably to be used with a home stereo, while the user can choose how the female miniplug connection in the Dragonfly is terminated (I've only heard it through IEMs and a car stereo).

So I don't know what differences there may be in the sound, but there are certainly some differences between the two.

I've only heard it through IEMs and a car stereo.
The Dragonfly sure must be a nice unit. As I understand it it can be used to connect your computer to a home stereo system by bypassing the volume control. It has a 24-bit conversion chip, two clocks, and can hook up to a pre-amp or power amp. Other than the cords. do you really think it will sound different than Gordon's other designs?

032412Gordon_Rankin-600.jpg