IGNORED

AudioQuest DragonFly 24/96 Asynchronous USB DAC / Headphone Amp

Bill, I think you're just wondering if there is a knob or . . . there is no knob, the device is solid with no moving parts. It simply follows the volume you set in your music player or overall via your system volume. How that's actually implemented inside the device is something I can't answer.

Thanks. The part in bold is all I really wanted to know.

Based on this, I am about to buy one. The plumber that just installed my water heater charged me more than this for a couple extra pipes that I probably didn't really need...

I have a $100 NuForce micro-DAC doing this now. I connect that to a Velodyne Microvee and then to AudioEngine A2 speakers. I am hoping this will be a bit of a bump up in performance. If not, I will have to resort to cables with wolves on them, rather than DACs with dragonflies.

I'm not seriously complaining. But I did notice they now say backordered, so maybe that is what is going on. With Prime, I've often ordered things on Friday and had them arrive on Monday. My schedule is such that it often will take me considerably longer than that to go to a hardware store or something, so I've been pretty much buying everything with Prime lately, since I've already paid for it.

It arrived. It was here when I came home to take care of the puppies.

I may have to get another one. The biggest single advantage over everything else is that it is portable. It is extremely small and unobtrusive. It is the size of a conventional USB "thumb drive." I am currently listening from my MacBook Air, via AudirvanaPlus, this thing, and my Bower and Wilkins P5 headphones. The is the first time I have actually enjoyed using these headphones at home (usually I just use them on airplanes).

The fit and finish is quite nice. I may have to stop making fun of AudioQuest.

I didn't have to read any instructions. I just plugged it in and it worked.

Volume control:

There is no knob or any physical moving part. I have to take their word for it that it is analogue volume control. It sounds fine. When I am adjusting it I can hear a very faint "pip pip pip" but it is fine one I am done.

I am using Audirvana's "DAC Only" volume control setting, to avoid the software dithering anything (I assume).

One irritation: The keyboard mute and volume down buttons work properly with Audirvana Plus, but the volume up button does not. I need to check this on another computer before I conclude it is a bug.

Sound quality is quite good.

I'm now using it with a 2012 iMac (8 Gig memory, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7), internal SSD, internal conventional drive, USB port is a high-speed one (unlike my Halide Bridge), but it always is shared.

Sounds great. I have this connected to the 4' minijack input on my Velodyne MicroVee sub under my desk, and the passthrough from that via a second 4' minijack to my AudioEngine A2s. I'm playing with the latest Audirvana Plus, 10.7.4. Everything (including volume control via my Logitech solar wireless bluetooth keyboard) works flawlessly.

I bought 2 Mediabridge 3.5mm male to 3.5 mm male 4' shielded audio cables. This really does make a difference. My objective test is activating a $10 cell phone. It sends a signal that the stock cables picked up and the resulting noise was horrific. This time, when I did it on another copy of the same phone, it was absolutely silent. The shielding evidently does work. These were $8 each on Amazon.com. BlueJeansCable wanted $30 per cable, so I decided to pass on that.