IGNORED

All 802.11n 5GHz network

All,

Yet another not-very-computer-literate question!

I believe Chris has suggested that an all 802.11n 5Ghz network will give fabulous speed and minimal dropouts. However, what are the circumstances in which this happy state of affairs will prevail?

My ADSL Modem router is G (Netgear DG834 v3) as is my current wireless access point (Netgear WG602 v3). Does the router dictate the type of wireless network downstream of it?

Secondly, it seems that an all N network only happens when all equipment tapping into the wireless network is N compatible. Is this correct?

Soo, at any one time my wireless network will have one or two G compatible laptops, one or two N Airport Expresses, one or two Apple Iphones (my house is like an electronic Noah's Ark at times!) an iPod Touch and a Nintendo Wii vying for attention/bandwith.

I am now using WPA2 after endless hours trying to configure the first Airport Express through WEP, grrrrr. There seems to me more dropouts to the Wii in the basement. In addition the Airport Express in the living room periodically suffer severe dropouts, the kitchen one is rock solid.

I suppose my questions are:

in my circumstances will an Airport Extreme deliver worthwhile improvements?

should I upgrade the modem?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Alex

Alex

Alex,

I had very good luck adding an Airport Extreme to an existing system quite similar to yours.

I was using a Vonage supplied (Linksys or Netgear, I forget) router (802.11G), and a couple of Airport Express (G variety) for wireless audio. I picked up an Airport Extreme, dumped the unreliable router, but...importantly, I kept a 802.11G Airport Express for use as a G network that will not interfere with the N traffic on the Extreme. My girlfriend uses a second G_based Airport Express connected to Audio Engine A2s in the bedroom - controlled by her G-based Macbook. (Actually, any of our iTunes apps on any of our 4 systems can run any/all of the connected Airtunes systems at the touch of a button).

Just hang the Airport Express off the Extreme with ethernet, instead of connecting to the Extreme's wireless network.

Even if your AExpress base stations are N, separating them into TWO networks will at least allow you to isolate the G-based traffic to ONE of them, and you can stream your music uninterrupted on the other.

Hope this helps,

Clay

I would agree with Clay.

Use your current G-router/modem to support your G devices then add an Air Port Extreme and set it up for N-only.

I had a D-Link N router and always had issues streaming even music. I went with Chris' suggestion and bought an AE, and can now stream HD movies and or Music without a hitch, it is truly more robust than the D-Link I was using, not to mention an snap to configure.

Jeff

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

I installed the Linksys WRT610 a couple of months ago. You can have both n and g running at the same time. I did have some issues with it dropping wireless connections, but after a couple of weeks of tweaking settings, I no longer have the issue.

The router is on the main floor, and I have a strong signal everywhere in the house upstairs and down.

Kevin

Gents,

I thank you for your replies and I apologise for the delay in doing so.

Just to clarify if I may: I should retain the current router downstream of the modem and also add the Airport Extreme downstream of the modem, parallel to the router? the Airport Extreme is not a modem?

In this way two networks will be created. The current one will be G by default and will take care of the laptops and the Wii. The new one can be N if I so choose. The task is then to direct the N Airport Expresses and the iPhones/iPod Touch at this new network.

Thanks again.

Alex

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am now running a 802.11n network by hanging an Airport Express as a base station off the Netgear modem and sending music on this dedicated network.

The good news is that the wireless to my kitchen system is excellent and is unaffected by even the microwave oven, which was not the case before.

The bad news is that the wireless connection to my main system in the living room, which was never perfect, is intermittent at best and certainly unusable! Would replacing the Airport Express base station with an Airport Extreme lead to any improvements? If not, it looks like I will have to dedicate a laptop to my main system connected by USB. Not the way I want to go. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Alex

Alex