IGNORED

Thunder, Lightning and your audio system

Having lived in FL since 87, lightening strike capital of the world, and in 4 different homes, I have FINALLY learned my lesson. No amount of protection ultimately protects.

I have finally learned. The current home I live in has no tall trees "close" to my home. My last home had tall Royal Palms fairly close, several hit by lightening, coming into my home frying many components. I now have a generator, with a huge surge protector built into the generator, with an electric cutoff, that shuts all electricity off to the home, testing ground for 45 seconds before the generator starts. Truth is the best electricity I ever get into my home, is via the generator. Switching off the main breaker to my home and allowing the power to run via my generator is the best and safest.

However, my ultimate advice is during severe storms, UNPLUG. Another note of caution is that static electricity loves low voltage lines like cable, phone lines, etc so you may want to unplug your ethernet cable as well.

When I go on vacations, I unplug all as well as my ethernet cable to my listening room.

Paul,

I agree. When Mother Nature has you in her sight, there is ultimately NOTHING you can do to stop her. The worst damage I ever suffered was a lightening strike where everything was unplugged. Actually, that was the second worst damage I ever suffered. The worst was when my brother in law stuffed up the toilet in my listening room that ultimately got flooded-there are some things worse than lightening and my brother-in-law is one of them.