IGNORED

Thunder, Lightning and your audio system

I live in North Central Texas, and we get *lots* of thunderstorms, especially this time of year. We get close lightning strikes several times per year, but I haven't had any damage until just recently.

We came back from running some errands (in the middle of a torrential downpour with lots of lightning) to a home full of dead electronics. Oddly, none of the surge protectors or UPS's were damaged / tripped in any way; instead, it appears the damage actually came from an electromagnetic pulse (i.e., close strike that simply transferred energy through the air instead of down the power lines). Much of my Ethernet and HDMI components were destroyed, including a Gigabit Ethernet switch and most of the attached electronics, a new Onkyo receiver, etc.

So even if your equipment isn't turned on, or you don't get a strike directly to the electrical system, you can still suffer damage from near-hits :/

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Sounds like it came in via cable or phone line.

No phone line, but cable is possible, I suppose, though none of the cable-attached devices (e.g., cable modem, cable company DVR, TiVO) were impacted. I'm just guessing about the EMP, but I read a lot about how both Ethernet and HDMI are very sensitive to EMP, and those were the only components affected, so sounded like a good theory to me ;)

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

• 1 month later...
If a storm is brewing and I'm listening I'll bite the bullet and power down. While everything's plugged in to surge protectors and there's one on the main panel, nothing's more important than making sure you've got the right insurance coverage. I made sure to confirm that our homeowners covers full replacement value, not a depreciated value, and I keep a list of the models and serial numbers along with scans of the receipts.

Bill

If I shut down every time a storm is brewing, I'd never get any listening done :/ We get violent thunderstorms at least once a week, and lesser storms (still with lightning, though), 3-4 times / week.

Admittedly, that's less than some locations (my home town got severe thunderstorms virtually every evening during the late winter, spring and early summer when I was a child), but I've learned when to worry and when not to. The only damage I've experienced over the past 35 years or so was when a freak storm sprung up when I was away from the house and apparently caused some sort of EMP due to a close lighting strike.

Off topic, but it's the same with tornado warnings: if we went to our shelter every time they went off, we'd spend half our lives going in and out of the shelter ;) We don't duck and cover until we see a funnel.