IGNORED

Thunder, Lightning and your audio system

+1

I worked for PS Audio and a lot of my time was spent advising customers on system set up including power conditioning. There is no product which can ultimately protect electrical components from close lightning strikes: consider that lightning is powerful enough to fly through the air for miles and it becomes clear that even an open relay will not stop a close strikes, it will just jump the gap and fry things if it wants to.

While we expect lightning to be somewhat predictable, unfortunately, it is not, and often does not necessarily follow the path of least resistance (or so it seems, maybe lightning "knows" better than we do ;-).

If you have a serious lightning event going on, the only way to be sure any electric equipment is safe is to unplug it from the wall-other than that, a good home owners policy can be quite helpful in the event of equipment failure. Do not make the mistake of thinking any power conditioner or surge suppressor will protect you-if the component is plugged in, you are at risk.

• 1 month later...

File a claim and be done with it --to eliminate any issues down the road, making you wish you did.

Funny this topic should have been raised. Our house was recently hit by a lightning strike. The house is fine, some of the home automation is toast, and while our audio system is operational, we're now hearing it as very bright. It could be a setting somewhere or it could be damage from the lightning of some sort. Anyone have any suggestions, short of having a technician crack open and inspect every component we own? I know the insurance company would cover that but it will be a major pain. I don't want to take advantage of the insurance company on the one hand, but on the other hand, I'm going to feel plenty bad if something goes out shortly after our claim is closed.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Joel