Sign in to follow this  
Gussy

Free Goldberg Variations in 24/96

Rate this topic

Thanks Gussy, I'll have a look at it. I must have at least 6 versions of this already, but I'm always eager to hear a different interpretation.

Thanks for the link - downloaded these today at work. Never really been a fan of solo piano work -- but find this actually "quite" ok :-). Live & learn one does indeed.

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

Good deal. Freebie, and not an old recording. Sounds fine to me.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>RPi4 9(dietpi)>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: (1) CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .(2) CAPS>ifi iDAC SPDIF>Kii Control.

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

[...] Sounds fine to me.

Hmm... Recording level way hot. Serious glare at the upper mid-range. Not much subtle tone color or micro dynamics. Doesn't sound all that fine to me, I'm afraid... :(

Andy

Hmm... Recording level way hot. Serious glare at the upper mid-range. Not much subtle tone color or micro dynamics. Doesn't sound all that fine to me, I'm afraid... :(

Andy

Wow, what a reaction. okay, I'll rephrase: not a great recording, but sounds fine to me.

Hey, it's a freebie. It's not junk. Doesn't sound "bad". that was my intent.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>RPi4 9(dietpi)>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: (1) CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .(2) CAPS>ifi iDAC SPDIF>Kii Control.

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

If I get a spare moment I may give it a listen. However I find Gould's Bach to be on such a higher level that it makes all other attempts unlistenabe for me.

If I get a spare moment I may give it a listen. However I find Gould's Bach to be on such a higher level that it makes all other attempts unlistenabe for me.

Gotta ask - original or second? :-)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> wi-fi to router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just listening to the free download - I'm very impressed with the playing. The recording sounds very good to me, too - a little closely miked, but a good representation of a Bosendorfer.

Wonder whether I should reduce the level of every track by 6dB?

Its funny eh, years ago I actually preferred the first. Now I find the second vastly superior. Not exactly sure why this should be the case. However I suspect it might have something to do with the following:when I was younger life was something very much to be lived. However, looking back I seem to have so little in common now with that person that shares my name and identity. Often these days I find the actual living an intrusion on the time I have left to contemplate the whole incredible fact of existence. So its the joy of living versus the joy of contemplation of living.

Can anyone find a high res version of the album art (>750x750)? I can only find 290x290.

Ishizaka -The Open Goldberg Variations.jpg

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

Thanks for posting

+1

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

Andy

What is that gift horse saying again? Way to encourage giving and magnanimity @accwai.

There's a third Gould Goldberg version "Live in Salzburg and Moscow," recorded a bit after the first I think, and is kind of in between the two well known versions; it also includes 3 part inventions. I like it a lot; sound is good enough.

-Chris

I just listened to the Open Goldbergs performed by Kimiko Ishizaka. I liked them very much. They seem rather cheerful and joyous, even exciting at times, especially the lower numbered ones. The playing is very good and the sound is big and pretty bright and goes well with the performance.

Someone said some rather negative things about them; I've listened to lots of versions; I particularly like the Gould and Perahia recordings; I don't know if these rival them performance-wise as I've only listened to these once, but if they do fall below them in my rankings, certainly not far below. I will definitely be listening to them again.

-Chris

What is that gift horse saying again? Way to encourage giving and magnanimity @accwai.

Well, my statement was on the sonics of the recording. Note that I didn't say anything about the performance. For example, many of Evgeni Koroliov's recordings sound like that too. The performance on those are great, and I say the same thing to those as well, which is more like lamenting than trying to trashing the whole effort. In this case, what I said has absolutely nothing to do with it being free or not. If it comes across differently, that wasn't the intent.

Personally, the most significant gift from the project isn't so much the free sound track but is the fact that everything has been released to public domain. Given the lifetime of effort that is required to play Goldberg in a performance, relinquishing all rights to it is the ultimate selfless gift. Plus the new edition of the score in this project was created using a free score editor. I was never serious enough to spring for professional grade score editor, but this one works just fine. Having lots of fun with it right now :)

And speaking of lifetime of effort, my wife recently bought a copy of Yundi Li Live in Beijing. The DVD contains many closeups of his hands and fingers. All the places where his fingers would touch the keyboard are flattened. Plus his little fingers are the same thickness as the other fingers. As a result, there is absolutely no difference in power and control among all his fingers on either hands. He has basically practiced so much that the shape of his hands and fingers have been optimized for playing piano. Just imaging how much playing time is needed for that to happen. Amazing...

Andy

here we go ...

Screen Shot 2012-06-02 at 6.16.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-06-02 at 6.15.47 AM.png

(Hey, its Piano, not the silent dog whistle quintet).

Screen Shot 2012-06-02 at 6.17.32 AM.png

... I find Gould's Bach to be on such a higher level that it makes all other attempts unlistenabe for me.
Yup; Gould pretty much owns these things. Must be hard to play in his shadow.

Gotta ask - original or second? :-)
Variation #14 is a very interesting comparison in style; Ishizaka floods it with tone; 1955 Gould plays it like maniac; 1981 Gould plays it so crisply you can feel the starch on the seams. At this moment, the latter seems "best" to me.

I went online earlier today, and then again just now and the site states "Flac coming back soon." Presume others are getting the same thing. Am I at the right site? MP3 downloads are still available.

-David

Well, my statement was on the sonics of the recording. Note that I didn't say anything about the performance. For example, many of Evgeni Koroliov's recordings sound like that too. The performance on those are great, and I say the same thing to those as well, which is more like lamenting than trying to trashing the whole effort. In this case, what I said has absolutely nothing to do with it being free or not. If it comes across differently, that wasn't the intent.

Andy

Haven't you heard of the saying if you've got nothing good to say, shut up? No one asked for a review, much less an all negative one. I wouldn't have commented had you said positive things about the performance and added that you didn't think the sound was that great. The sound by the way is much better than many paid for piano recordings I own. It was just recorded in a live environment and that's what you hear.

It just irks me when something so positive is done by a person/group and someone can say only negative things about it, not to mention that your "lament" is elitist. I think most people other than audiophile's audiophiles will find the recording to be very listenable.

Something particularly great about this endeavor is that it gives people a chance to hear a very good version of the Goldberg Variations with better than adequate sound for nada. It might get people to listen to it and realize what a wonderful piece of music it is, that would never have otherwise.

-Chris

I went online earlier today, and then again just now and the site states "Flac coming back soon." Presume others are getting the same thing. Am I at the right site? MP3 downloads are still available.

-David

Same problem here....

Dalton

"Si vous avez compris, vous avez sûrement tort." (Lacan)

This note is added about the FLAC files:

NOTE: The FLAC files previously released seem to have a problem with track 28, Var. 27 (in some players, VCL in particular, it skips the last 2 seconds). We're getting these files replaced and will reinstate FLAC downloads within 1-2 days.

Michael