IGNORED

Free Goldberg Variations in 24/96

Hmm... Recording level way hot. Serious glare at the upper mid-range. Not much subtle tone color or micro dynamics. Doesn't sound all that fine to me, I'm afraid... :(

Andy

What is that gift horse saying again? Way to encourage giving and magnanimity @accwai.

There's a third Gould Goldberg version "Live in Salzburg and Moscow," recorded a bit after the first I think, and is kind of in between the two well known versions; it also includes 3 part inventions. I like it a lot; sound is good enough.

-Chris

I just listened to the Open Goldbergs performed by Kimiko Ishizaka. I liked them very much. They seem rather cheerful and joyous, even exciting at times, especially the lower numbered ones. The playing is very good and the sound is big and pretty bright and goes well with the performance.

Someone said some rather negative things about them; I've listened to lots of versions; I particularly like the Gould and Perahia recordings; I don't know if these rival them performance-wise as I've only listened to these once, but if they do fall below them in my rankings, certainly not far below. I will definitely be listening to them again.

-Chris

Well, my statement was on the sonics of the recording. Note that I didn't say anything about the performance. For example, many of Evgeni Koroliov's recordings sound like that too. The performance on those are great, and I say the same thing to those as well, which is more like lamenting than trying to trashing the whole effort. In this case, what I said has absolutely nothing to do with it being free or not. If it comes across differently, that wasn't the intent.

Andy

Haven't you heard of the saying if you've got nothing good to say, shut up? No one asked for a review, much less an all negative one. I wouldn't have commented had you said positive things about the performance and added that you didn't think the sound was that great. The sound by the way is much better than many paid for piano recordings I own. It was just recorded in a live environment and that's what you hear.

It just irks me when something so positive is done by a person/group and someone can say only negative things about it, not to mention that your "lament" is elitist. I think most people other than audiophile's audiophiles will find the recording to be very listenable.

Something particularly great about this endeavor is that it gives people a chance to hear a very good version of the Goldberg Variations with better than adequate sound for nada. It might get people to listen to it and realize what a wonderful piece of music it is, that would never have otherwise.

-Chris