IGNORED

Free Goldberg Variations in 24/96

This note is added about the FLAC files:
NOTE: The FLAC files previously released seem to have a problem with track 28, Var. 27 (in some players, VCL in particular, it skips the last 2 seconds). We're getting these files replaced and will reinstate FLAC downloads within 1-2 days.

Thanks!

Just received an answer from Robert Douglass (Open Goldberg Variations project):

"Hmm. Frustrating. I'll go back to the engineers and see if there is a possible solution. The CD version will obviously not have this problem as it will just play straight on between the two."

Let's wait, because worth it. That is a fantastic project!

Here is some information about the 24/96 for Mr. Douglass.

The new track 28 (Variation 27) is slightly longer than the old edition, but the last note is still abruptly and unnaturally silenced to -infinity dBFS (digital absolute silence) instead of dropping to the ambient level for a moment before the first note of track 29.

Also, because track 28 (old and new editions) ends at -infinity dBFS and track 29 starts at roughly -36 dBFS, there is a click coinciding with the striking of the first note of track 29.

An additional problem has been created by the new track 28. The start of the old track 28 was perfectly continuous with the end of track 27, the transition being at about -52 dBFS in both channels. The new track 28 starts at -infinity dBFS, resulting in a click.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't bothered to download because it's clear from that new notice that the problem(s) still have not been understood and therefore cannot be expected to have been corrected.

I'm eating crow!

I have now done what I should have, before opening my big mouth. Downloaded and listened to the new file. It does fix the problems in the original file and the first replacement file. Well done the TOGV team!