IGNORED

Free Goldberg Variations in 24/96

What is that gift horse saying again? Way to encourage giving and magnanimity @accwai.

Well, my statement was on the sonics of the recording. Note that I didn't say anything about the performance. For example, many of Evgeni Koroliov's recordings sound like that too. The performance on those are great, and I say the same thing to those as well, which is more like lamenting than trying to trashing the whole effort. In this case, what I said has absolutely nothing to do with it being free or not. If it comes across differently, that wasn't the intent.

Personally, the most significant gift from the project isn't so much the free sound track but is the fact that everything has been released to public domain. Given the lifetime of effort that is required to play Goldberg in a performance, relinquishing all rights to it is the ultimate selfless gift. Plus the new edition of the score in this project was created using a free score editor. I was never serious enough to spring for professional grade score editor, but this one works just fine. Having lots of fun with it right now :)

And speaking of lifetime of effort, my wife recently bought a copy of Yundi Li Live in Beijing. The DVD contains many closeups of his hands and fingers. All the places where his fingers would touch the keyboard are flattened. Plus his little fingers are the same thickness as the other fingers. As a result, there is absolutely no difference in power and control among all his fingers on either hands. He has basically practiced so much that the shape of his hands and fingers have been optimized for playing piano. Just imaging how much playing time is needed for that to happen. Amazing...

Andy