IGNORED

I'll show you mine...

Mallette

I designed and built this in 2003 and its still in use. DAC is a Card Deluxe. It's a fanless power supply and I've recently converted the drives to Hitachi 2.5's so it is silent unless you put your ear on the case. Also runs on 12v nicely for field use.

The "St James Infirmary" referenced in InnerTubers thread on Vinyl to Digital in Equipment was made with it if you are interested in hearing the results.

Haven't uploaded to this group before so we'll see if it shows...

Regards,

Dave

\"If it sounds good, it IS good.\" Duke Ellington

You should be able to see the attachment now. I had to make an adjustment.

That looks pretty cool from the outside and from the sounds of it you have it running pretty quiet. Is all your disk internal?

I am just thinking a little Mac Mini wold be equivalent to this now that it is 2008 and this was built in 2003. What do you think?

Founder of Audiophile Style

UPDATED: My Audio Systems -> https://audiophile.style/system

I built my first HTPC about that time as well. I haven't messed with Mac in many years as there is no money in it. Too pricey and I see no advantage over MS aside from virus...and that's only because there are so few of them it isn't worth a hackers time. No offense to the honorable and loyal Mac crowd here. I just go back too far and have been too disappointed to use fringe technology anymore. I STILL miss the Amiga, IMHO the finest OS ever and still the only TRUE multitasking system I ever used.

It is, indeed, dead silent for all practical purposes. For externals and connectivity, it has LAN, Wireless (via USB), USB, and Firewire connectivity. I am not sure this case is still available, but it is one of the prettiest and easiest to customize I've ever seen. I did not mention that the MB is one of the first Via Epia 800mhz fanless MBs. It would be perfect if I could dump MS and run Ubuntu or other Linux on it, but I've not had time to work out the driver issues on the Card Deluxe.

Internal is a 2.5" 40gb system drive and a 2.5" 120gb music storage drive. The Card Deluxe is good to 2X24/96.

I am going to look into the threads here about SlimServer. I downloaded and gave it a try a while back. It appeared promising, but very frustrating to figure out. For one thing, it keep loudly polling every few seconds for a hard SlimBox (or whatever it is) and I could not at all figure out how to list music and such on the Soft Slimbox app.

Right now, I am still using WinAmp on MBS5.

Dave

Hey Mallette - I used to be in your camp. In fact I was Microsoft certified and administered a 1000 node Windows network. I hated Macs then. Now I am 100% opposite. I'll never go back unless I am testing something or need Windows on my Parallels install to convert a file or two. Oh well, neither of us has the time to waste on a Windows v. OS X thread. Whatever works for each of us is good with me. It is actually better that we prefer different operating systems. Without competition from the different companies there would be no innovation.

I do have one bone to pick with you though. In good fun of course, as this is a laid back forum :-)

Mallette: "No offense to the honorable and loyal Mac crowd here. I just go back too far and have been too disappointed to use fringe technology anymore ... It would be perfect if I could dump MS and run Ubuntu or other Linux on it, but I've not had time to work out the driver issues on the Card Deluxe."

I'm not sure I follow you on those two sentences. Maybe you were just poking fun at Apple in the first one :-)

No problem, Chris. I am long done with OS wars. My opinions are pretty well set in stone.

I cannot do anything with Mac because:

A. I design computer simulations and training software for the petroleum industry, and almost nobody in that business has ever seen one. and

B. They are too proprietary and cannot be modified at will to meet my needs.

(BEGIN RANT)

I'll leave out C, as that is the one where I really don't see a nickels worth of difference between them and used to offer as proof the fact that Bill Gates allowed Apple to live exclusively for that reason and the need to be able to offer their continued existence as proof he did not have the iron boot of monopoly on all of us. It's also the reason why there has been no innovation at all since about 1995. At that time, I was planning my next generation of simulation for offshore platforms to be VR, and the technology was there to support it. Instead, the last big simulator I built for ARCO is still in use and considered to be "state of the art." Sheesh. Bill Gates ruined my life...

Linux? None of the Linux systems I've used offer true preemptive multitasking al la the auld days either, but at least they are not part of the Microsoft Empire or the loyal opposition (Apple) and are largely supported by Happy Hippies many of whom are descended from the Amigans and Atari clans of the golden age. If Apple so much as hinted they were going to offer the level of performance we should have by now they'd be dead in a year.

In my case, I started out in on the Altair, move up to 6502 machine language, graduated to the Sinclair Z80 with its unbelievable 2k of RAM and still consider the Commodore 64 to be the most efficient, cost-effective machine of all time. It cost 75.00, would boot up in about 5 seconds and even today with slight modifications could handle every computing need of 90 percent of non-business users in the world.

Bitter? Yezzir. Largely over it and moved on? Yep. Don't worry about getting my goat on this as it won't happen...

Actually, thanks for asking!

(END RANT) :-)

Kind regards,

Dave

PS - You SURE you want me on your forum?

Hey Dave thanks for the insight! Now I have a little idea where you are coming from when you chime in with your opinion. Of course we all want you around here. Nothing beats an actual explanation that has facts and experience behind it and leaves out the typical forums attacks.

I had a Commodore 64 back in the day. One of my friends still has his and the box & manual etc...

Glad to have you here. Being of the auld venerable Atari clan from 8 bit on up, I too have had to come to terms with what is available today. I know that so much more could be available to us too..... I didn't step to 'the enemy', a PC in this case, until 1999. I too was worried about investing in the fringe and so went the Windoze-way. I tried lots of Linux distro's but could never get enough 'Unix-ness' out of them for me. It wasn't until this last October (and after months of data and soul-searching) that I thought that it might be a good idea to get a Mac - after dusting off my old Sys V manuals and going through some commands in the Mac OS CLI terminal, I'm glad I did buy a Mac. I'm glad you're here too! To me, it doesn't matter what kind of OS one prefers as long as it is a working OS. Heck, I'm not going to stop using Windows either. Quite the contrary: I'm looking forward to XP's service pack 3!

markr

6502 forever!