IGNORED

NAD C390DD Direct Digital DAC/Amplifier

attunement,

Are you using a sub with your KEF/NAD combo?

Bill

Interesting that you brought that up. I'm setting up two (hopefully) audiophile quality listening areas in my house and have elected to use the KEF LS50s in both of them (one of the rooms is very small, basically a computer desktop setup. The other room is smallish to moderate size, just at the edge of what the KEFs can reasonably support.)

The computer desktop station is pretty much baked in with the NAD C 390DD paired with the audiophilleo 2, KEFs and a WIN 7 computer with JRiver Media Center.

I was on the fence about getting a 2nd NAD C 390DD for the other listening room since I wondered if I could improve on things with a different preamp/amp dedicated DAC situation. But as soon as I plugged the audiophilleo 2 with the purepower option into the NAD, that put the NAD over the top and made it a no brainer to get a 2nd NAD C with accompanying 2nd audiphilleo 2 (with purepower as well.) That basically makes the NAD C a $3600 unit rather than a $2600 one. But given that it is a preamp and amp along with the DAC and gives the "sound of my dreams quality" sound, I'm not sure there is a similar combination in the $3600 range (preamp/amp/dac total) that would beat it.

But that brings up the question of subs. I love to listen to symphonic/classical music, along with popular music. And whereas a Beethoven Symphony going through my current desktop system sounds WAY better than it has any right to sound (given how small the KEFs appear to be), I can't help but think that an audiophile sub wouldn't bring out that critical element of Bass to bring such dynamic music home.

So, as a long way around to answering whether I have paired a sub with the KEFs/NAD, the answer is that I intend to in the second room. The speaker, NAD and audiophilleo are all arriving today. I will be setting those things up and let them play a little to see how things sound and feel.

In the meantime, I am looking for a sub that would fit nicely into this arrangement. A real perk of the NAD C seems to be the easy way it allows one to hook a sub up into the unit and neatly control the filtering directly from the NAD itself. So I'm excited to try this out.

Right now I'm looking at something like the Rythmik 15" Compact High Output, shown on this page: Subwoofers. I haven't ever had a sub before so this will be a new experience for me, in terms of discovering how it adds to the sound and how it can mess up the sound in ways that one never thought possible, etc.

I'll put in an order for the Rythmik 15" next week unless, in the meantime, research and feedback points me in a superior direction. I'm happy to report how it works out, as it seems a great sub/KEF LS50 could result in a great sounding system for all types of music, from classical, acoustic and electronic popular.

I'm happy to report back on the results once I have a chance to figure/try things out.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys, my first posting here even though I've visited quite a few times during some years. but now I do need your advice.

I have just recently bought myself a pair of Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers.

the funny thing is that I sold off my old huge stuff ( HK Citation 22 +200W, Infinity Kappa 8.2...) this spring after they have been sitting in storage for +10 years after getting kids (and my large music room turned into what it's probably intended for a living room). during these years I've been into headphones and using Bang & Olufsen stuff with active speakers, then using the active B&O speakers together with Sonos which works quite decent. however a while ago I found out that I could use the winter garden as my music room, however it's much smaller than the former room so that was the reason I sold of the "Welding Equipment". the funny thing is now I need a powerful amplifier to the Gallos as they are very power-hungry +2x120W min@ 8ohm, but everyone who owns them say the more the merrier

I use Sonos and have a digital & analog tweaked Sonos connect that I would like to make the most of.

have to be honest and say that I don't run FLAC / Lossless files to much as Spotify Music Streaming ( max 320kbs) is the main source of music. Some records that I really like I do download in FLAC /Lossless.

Right now I am looking for a amplifier to power the Gallos, and I have been reading this thread and been really tempted to buy a 390DD, however it is a bit over my budget ( and there are no used ones around here in EU as of yet). shall I "Mortgate the house" and buy a 390DD or what kind of alternatives is there...

Is maybe an old Power Amplifier a smarter move ?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Right now I am looking for a amplifier to power the Gallos, and I have been reading this thread and been really tempted to buy a 390DD, however it is a bit over my budget ( and there are no used ones around here in EU as of yet). shall I "Mortgate the house" and buy a 390DD or what kind of alternatives is there...

Is maybe an old Power Amplifier a smarter move ?

Thanks in advance for any advice

In terms of bang for the buck, some people are going ga-ga for the Job 225 (links to professional reviews contained in the thread as well):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/job-225-a-16947/

I never heard it myself. A 230V version for EU arriving this month (to be ordered directly from Job, with ability to return for 20% restocking fee)?

HOW TO GET A JOB ?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Having listened to it for a couple of months, courtesy of a very generous member of CA, I'm not convinced that it would be "necessary" at all. Briefly, I found the power of NAD insufficient to drive my relatively inefficient (also 88 dB) B&W CM7 speakers in my rather inefficient living room. I was relieved to have my Nova and home-made Class D audio amp back in, even though it is inferior in terms of S/N etc. Somehow (subjectively) it seemed a bit flat and lacking in dynamic range. At the very least, try before you buy.

Conceptually, I think this kind of design is the most straightforward. Somehow the implementation fell short of my expectations. Two other things to keep in mind: (1) It runs hot for a Class D (like) amp, and is rated 100W consumption at idle (not standby); my class D amp with more than 2X the wattage idles at about 32 W and runs much cooler. (2) The USB implementation appears to compromise the sound quality relative to other inputs, which might necessitate getting an S/PDIF converter, an added expense and one more thingie in the signal path.

In terms of bang for the buck, some people are going ga-ga for the Job 225 (links to professional reviews contained in the thread as well):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/job-225-a-16947/

I never heard it myself. A 230V version for EU arriving this month (to be ordered directly from Job, with ability to return for 20% restocking fee)?

HOW TO GET A JOB ?

Thanks, will check the Job out for sure

Nice choice on your speakers! The Job amp is probably a good match. Sounds like Job is a similar concept to Odyssey in which an established european brand licenses an american assembler to use their circuits. I have some "maxed out" odyssey mono amps that have similar very wide bandwidths and other characteristics to the Job. Job is probably a bit more of a business than Odyssey (where one guy hand builds every amp.)

The NAD would be a great amp, I like to be able to separate my power because good power is always good power, but DACs change very quickly. It sounds like for your purposes the NAD would be a good fit though. You may consider looking at some other Class D options. I think Anthony demoed those speakers with 600wpc spectron musician monos. Whatever your choice, high current is the best thing for the woofers. I would recommend you talk to Klaus at Odyssey just to see what he could do for you.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

• 1 month later...

Hello,

As you can see I am a newbe. Not only on this forum but as an audiophile. I am A lawyer, not a (audio)technician.

I have recently bought the NAD C390DD and I love it. The sound is very clear and much better then my previous amp.

But I have many things to sort out in order to get the best sound from my system.

The music is stored on a separate HDD connected with USB to my Mac Mini. This is connected to my amp by toslink.

I use iTunes to play the music files.

1. As I understand the NAD will not upsample the music from the Mac Mini at all. So 44.1 stays 44.1 even though the NAD specifies 96. Is this correct?

2. If so, do I need to upsample the music files with software on my Mac (f.i. Pure Music)?

well, so far for now. Step by step.

Here is my second set of questions.

the NAD C390 DD is connected to my Aplle Mac Mini by toslink

1. I have read that the toslink does not support higher sample rates then 24/96. I do have files that are up to 24/192. So these will be heard as 24/96 or will they not be transferred at all?

2. I could connect the Mac by USB. Then in the manual of the NAD I read that the USB Computer connection is restricted to 24/96.

Is there any other option to play higher sample rates or will this be the absolute maximum? I don't seem to have more options on my Mac.

You can play higher sample rates if you go into the NAD via its coax or AES/EBU digital inputs. You can do that with a USB to S/PDIF converter used between your Mac and the NAD. Plenty of choices in converters, and plenty of discussion about those choices in other threads here at CA.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Anything above 96 is technically not supported but from what I understand it will work a lot of the time. Does it work at all if you try to play? I have an M51 which has largely the same DAC section and when I play 192khz through the Toslink of an EDO'd Squeezebox Touch it will display 192k on the front of the M51 and play without a hitch.

That said, a really good UBS-SPDIF converter will make the DAC really sing.

1. I have read that the toslink does not support higher sample rates then 24/96. I do have files that are up to 24/192. So these will be heard as 24/96 or will they not be transferred at all?

2. I could connect the Mac by USB. Then in the manual of the NAD I read that the USB Computer connection is restricted to 24/96.

Is there any other option to play higher sample rates or will this be the absolute maximum? I don't seem to have more options on my Mac.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

I am looking for a good converter.

As I was looking for Musical Fidelity V-link 192 I found that it is discontinued at the manufacturers site and it is still for sale by Amazon for around $200,-

question

1.: is the technology in this converter outdated or not very good? Will it be safe to buy it or shall I look further?

2.: is there a XMOS chip inside? ( I have read good reviews of this chip)

Anything above 96 is technically not supported but from what I understand it will work a lot of the time. Does it work at all if you try to play? I have an M51 which has largely the same DAC section and when I play 192khz through the Toslink of an EDO'd Squeezebox Touch it will display 192k on the front of the M51 and play without a hitch.

Thanks for your suggestion Kelly. I have tried it, but to no avail. The NAD shows 96 Khz maximum.

I have just bought one of the last Musical Fidelity V-link 192 from Amazon.

It had very good reviews and it may not be the top of the bill but for this price I think it is a very good deal.

It will be well after Christmas before I can install it. I hope that the difference in sound will be well noticeable.

I found this article to be helpful as I'm in the same 390/KEF LS50 boat and considering USB/SPDIF option.

When to use a USB to S/PDIF converter? | Digital Audio Review by John Darko

• 3 weeks later...

As the signal from my MacMini is digital will the A/D converter in the NAD do anything to upsample the music?

If the NAD upsamples the files to 192 then I do not have to use a software programm like f.i. Pure Music to upsample the files. Is this correct?

If not, will a DAC do the job? (I think not, as the NAD does not have an analogue connection). Or do I have to use a sotware programm to upsample my files?

F.y.i.: I have the basic NAD without the extra modules.

As the signal from my MacMini is digital will the A/D converter in the NAD do anything to upsample the music?

If the NAD upsamples the files to 192 then I do not have to use a software programm like f.i. Pure Music to upsample the files. Is this correct?

If not, will a DAC do the job? (I think not, as the NAD does not have an analogue connection). Or do I have to use a sotware programm to upsample my files?

F.y.i.: I have the basic NAD without the extra modules.

The NAD is not an upsampling DAC. If your files are 44.1, it plays 44.1. If your files are 96, it plays 96. What it won't do is play files over USB past 24/96. If you have 24/192 files (or above) and you are using the USB interface, then it will not sample higher than 96. You can achieve 24/192 over S/PDIF connections.

Thank you Digitalzed. Your answer is clear.

I will use a software programm to upsample.

I have bought the Music Fidelity V-link 192 so I can now stream 24/192 files from my Mac to the NAD.

You're welcome Captain. You'll want a good software program like Media Center or Audirvana + for a variety of reasons beyond up sampling capability. Plenty of threads on both programs here on CA and worth looking into.

Anyone who would care to speculate how the C390DD would compare sonically with the NAD M51 DAC + Bel Canto S300 poweramp? This is what I am using now (for my surround channels in a MCH setup), but I'm tempted to consolidate boxes and save a few 100 bucks in the process.

Has any NAD 390DD owner tried connecting to the 390DD via a digital signal from their mobile?

I am considering acquiring a 390DD and this type of connection would be a nice (additional) option to have available.

You could add an external BluTooth receiver or (if using iPhone) then an Apple TV would work well.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Anyone who would care to speculate how the C390DD would compare sonically with the NAD M51 DAC + Bel Canto S300 poweramp? This is what I am using now (for my surround channels in a MCH setup), but I'm tempted to consolidate boxes and save a few 100 bucks in the process.

In many ways the C390DD was the best DAC/amp combo I have heard, but when I finished listening to the one I had borrowed from a generous CA member, I experienced an unexpected reaction -- I was relieved to have my conventional but more powerful Class D Audio amp array back in place.

It got me to wondering whether I might be better off with the M51 DAC + Class D amps.

I really wanted to like the C390DD better, because I think conceptually the direct digital is better. But something was lacking in terms of dynamics or something. I used my USB/SPDIF (Halide) bridge in both instances, so it wasn't the USB implementation.

One thing that did really impress me was that when no audio was being played, it was absolutely 100% dead silent. No faint hiss, nothing.

One other thing that bothered me was it ran really hot, even when idle.