IGNORED

NAD C390DD Direct Digital DAC/Amplifier

My only complaint is the speaker binding posts. They are cheap! After a few months of trouble-free operation I will take them to a dealer somewhere downhere inj Florida and have some real binding posts put on this amplifier.

Hate them myself and will be doing the same thing. The binding posts I am looking at are the Eichmann pods:

Eichmann Cable Pod Binding Post

The hardness etc I originally posted about seems to be associated with the bad speaker compensation setting.

Thanks

Bill

Why is it that well designed class D amps are immune to power line issues?

A switch-mode power supply usually has much better HF and common mode rejection ratio than a linear one, and a class D amp has, by design, pretty good HF filtering.

A switch-mode power supply usually has much better HF and common mode rejection ratio than a linear one, and a class D amp has, by design, pretty good HF filtering.

Thanks, good to know.

Still, my city is prone to blackouts, storms, voltage inconsistencies, etc

Are there any drawbacks in connecting my c 390dd to something like this for protection?

PFC Sinewave Series - CP1500PFCLCD

APCAV Product Technical Specifications: H15BLK

Still, my city is prone to blackouts, storms, voltage inconsistencies, etc

Are there any drawbacks in connecting my c 390dd to something like this for protection?

Well, any UPS contains an inverter that recreates the mains sine waveform. There will always be harmonics, as they never produce a perfect sine, but I would not worry about it with the C390DD, as the NAD is probbaly well enough protected/filtered to keep the power supply noise away.

If you aren't too bothered about being listen to music during a blackout (those UPSes probably only give you 10 minutes or so anyway) you might want to look at just a simple overvoltage protector like these: PureAC - Voltage Protection

Well, any UPS contains an inverter that recreates the mains sine waveform. There will always be harmonics, as they never produce a perfect sine, but I would not worry about it with the C390DD, as the NAD is probbaly well enough protected/filtered to keep the power supply noise away.

If you aren't too bothered about being listen to music during a blackout (those UPSes probably only give you 10 minutes or so anyway) you might want to look at just a simple overvoltage protector like these: PureAC - Voltage Protection

No need to listen to music during a blackout.

Is voltage regulation needed?

Haven't done that. Compared the AP2 to Off-Ramp - no contest - Off-Ramp is easily better.

Recently got my Off-Ramp working via SPDIF using my upmarket SPDIF cable instead of AES EBU. Holey Carp Batman - unreal improvement. Really liquid and fluid now but with dynamics that slams you in the chest. Never heard anything like this before. It nearly bought tears to my eyes. It now sounds like my PDX when fed via I2S from the Off-Ramp into a really high quality amp such as MAC 501's - but better - yea better. This could be the best reproduction I have ever heard. I wont go on about it - you must experience it for yourself.

Thanks

Bill

Better than your Playback Designs as well?

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

Better than your Playback Designs as well?

Just to be clear what's going on here sound wise. This is an all digital DAC/Amp so comparing it to separates is a bit difficult. What I was taking about here is how it performs as an amp - I thought it was better than Mac 501's because of how liquid and fluid it was combined with the starling dynamics - the Mac's did not do that - they were - a bit polite with not the same in your face dynamics. The DAC and amp tended to sound like the PDX but exactly how it compares to a PDX into a similar set-up remains to be seen. As luck would have it I am getting a digital amp - an Arion 500 - that is supposed to be the bees knees and can provide further info then.

Regarding the PD it is a much more polite sounding DAC than any of this stuff - one person said lifeless - and I think this is better - but I have yet to try DSD which is where that DAC is really supposed to shine.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Guys (And Of Course Girls)

This post is a bit of a mishmash of stuff but I thought the most appropriate place for it was in this thread.

A fellow member of our forum here in Aus, Rob, popped on over today and bought a very interesting goodie - a Bybee modified Spectron.

First we listened to my latest toy the NAD C390DD, the subject of this thread, via my Off-Ramp and Rob was gobsmaked how good it was for its pittance and equally astounded the difference the Off-Ramp made - the difference not subtle - not subtle at all. It really is up there with the much higher priced stuff mentioned in this post. Anyway we switched over to using the Spectron fed by the pre outs of the NAD. At first I thought good - but was it better than the NAD - a little different - clean, clear, and very precise. Anyway I need not have worried - further listening showed it was better - its cleanliness and purity grows on you and you find yourself relaxing into it. Also after a while you realize the NAD had the slightest trace of digital glare the Spectron removes. We popped my Playback Designs on and - well for our taste it had a far too relaxed and laid back sound - this DAC rreally isn't doing it for me - I am hopeful when fed with DSD it will show its true colours. Next was the PDX and it was really sweet - very very enjoyable to listen to. We sat there listening to various tracks and we both agreed this was the best sound of the day. This was better than Mac 501's - I suspect I know why I think the NAD and now the Spectron was better - the 501's have a bit of a tubey midrange (it has valve output transformers) and both the NAD and Spectron just give you what's there - warts and all which when fed with DAC's like this sounds a bit less artificial for want of a better word - anyway I liked it better.

Interestingly my new digital amps - the Arion 500's - have arrived - they are monoblocks and customs here in Aus stopped one (the other arrived fine) so it it needs to be investigated how to get it released. That will be sorted out I am sure and evidently the person that got them in for me is under strict instuctions not to let anyone hear them until they have at least 300 hours on them. Anyway once it is all sorted out there will be an amp shootout and Rob has agreed to bring his Spectron along to it. It will be between the NAD, Spectron, Arion and Mac 501's. Watch out for it.

Thanks

Bill

Too bad you couldn't include the NCORE 400s in your amp shoot out. Several people have reported they bettered the Spectron.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

Hi Bill,

Does your test NAD C390DD have the optional HDMI module? I'm curious how well this works, as it seems like a convenient way to integrate a cable box, Disk Player, and streamer (Apple TV or the like). Does the video and audio switch responsively? Is the fidelity acceptable?

If you don't have this option, how does HDMI compare to TOS Link in general from an audio perspective?

Thanks!

Bluesound Node 2-->LFD LE Mk V-->HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer (via high-level inputs)-->Harbeth P3ESR

Does your test NAD C390DD have the optional HDMI module? I'm curious how well this works, as it seems like a convenient way to integrate a cable box, Disk Player, and streamer (Apple TV or the like). Does the video and audio switch responsively? Is the fidelity acceptable? If you don't have this option, how does HDMI compare to TOS Link in general from an audio perspective?

Got both the analog and HDMI inputs. The HDMI is superb for home theatre and pretty good for audio - but the USB is better and quite a good deal better with the Off-Ramp - but people whose ears I trust have reported excellent results with an Audiophellio2 and its a good deal cheaper - but every time I have pitted the Off-Ramp against the AP2 the OR was easily better.

Oh - I do not get test gear - I purchase all the stuff I write about out of my own dosh - which is why the Playback Designs was so disappointing - I paid a lot for it. However I have now tried it with DSD and can report it is an entirely different beast that way - more info in a separate thread I will eventually do on that DAC.

Thanks

Bill

Too bad you couldn't include the NCORE 400s in your amp shoot out. Several people have reported they bettered the Spectron.

Mate can't include everything. I have been told however the Arions I got did best the NCORE.

Thanks

Bill

Your point being? Have you compared the two?

Thanks

Bill

Have hear M2, the top of the line. Impressive resolution.

But, what I underline is that there is some "noise" when people try to communicate something as new, when basically the same technology is there for years (even if available through a low profile company).

My new c390dd is finally home!

Sold my HRT MSII+, Parasound 2100 preamp and Parasound 2250 amp.

Been using it for 8 hours via its direct Computer input, and I already I like it a lot more than my previous setup.

Soundstage is larger and resolution is vastly improved, while sounding very easy on the ears.

Before, well recorded tracks sounded great but poorly recorded music was almost unlistenable (flat, harsh, lifeless).

Now everything sounds soooo much better. Even my worst recordings are enjoyable!

I think this may be the single most impressive upgrade in SQ I've achieved since I've started with this hobby. It is really a HUGE leap forward.

My new c390dd is finally home!I think this may be the single most impressive upgrade in SQ I've achieved since I've started with this hobby. It is really a HUGE leap forward.

Some very very experienced and knowledgeable audiophiles have heard this thing - and everyone is amazed - everyone. Beatable - yes - but by stuff a lot more expensive and not by a lot. The only negative I have heard is one guy said maybe its slightly mechanical (it is a bit when compared to what I was comparing it against - my Trafomatic - but just about any amp sounds that way when compared to the divine midrange of that thing) - that's it.

Thanks

Bill

Bill, I've heard from a friend who's a high-end modder that the Cardas binding posts are much better than the Cable Pods. I haven't compared them myself (and don't plan to), but figured it might be worth you considering. Regardless, it's definitely a great idea to replace the stock ones though!

Bill, I've heard from a friend who's a high-end modder that the Cardas binding posts are much better than the Cable Pods. I haven't compared them myself (and don't plan to), but figured it might be worth you considering. Regardless, it's definitely a great idea to replace the stock ones though!

A speaker manufacturer I know out my way here in the Brisbane Gold Coast area where the Eichmann's are made was involved in the design of the Eichmann stuff and has done extensive listening tests. He tells me the only stuff he has ever heard an audible difference with is the Eichmann - he has tried just about everything - Cardas - you name it. I have Cardas on my Patek amp and don't like them much personally - the nut on the end tends to fall off and get lost and you cant use banana plugs.

Thanks

Bill

Oh - I do not get test gear - I purchase all the stuff I write about out of my own dosh - which is why the Playback Designs was so disappointing - I paid a lot for it. However I have now tried it with DSD and can report it is an entirely different beast that way - more info in a separate thread I will eventually do on that DAC.

Thanks

Bill

Bill, what are you feeding the MPD-3 with again?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

What is wrong with the sstock ones?

Well, given the quote you have in your signature, I'm guessing you may be implying that since there may be no "measurable" difference between different binding posts, there's no difference in sound. I'd simply suggest that you have to try it and listen to see if you hear a difference. But, I know this gets to be a touchy subject (though not as much as it was 10 years ago!), so I'm not going to recommend you go and void your warranty if you don't believe it can make a difference. I don't personally a/b different binding posts. I bypass them altogether and love the difference I hear from it. I do the same with my speaker wire and speakers. But, I understand it's not for everyone.