IGNORED

Computer Audiophile: Records To Live For, Vol. 1 (R2L4)

Hi gals and girls.

Newbie here.

I gotta say this forum has helped me massively in setting up my mac music server. I'm sure I'll be posting here plenty in the future. Thanks to you all as I have read plenty here picking up tips and opinions etc.

One tip I have; 44.1/24 sounds best when playing ripped CD's at AIFF, 44.1/16. Consensus was to playback at 96/24 (for conveniance maybe if you have hi-res files as well?) but I've settled on 44.1/24 (or 88.2 for that matter).

Impetus to join now was in regards to Streetsweeper. Trent Reznor turned me onto them through the NINJA tour free download sample. The DL has 2 St.sweeper cuts and from what I've heard they are probably the pick of the album. The DL also features 2 new Jane's Addiction cuts so check it out. From NIN.com.

Has anyone here been to the NINJA shows?

NIN rule BTW! Trent is a dead set genius IMO.

Audiophile sounds?

I use Paul Anka's Rock Swings as my system reference.

Queens of the Stone Age, Songs for the Deaf.... huge with Dave G. on drums.

John Lee Hooker, Serve u Right to Suffer

Gil Evans Orchestra, Out of the Cool

Jimmy Smith, The Cat

NIN, With Teeth/Year Zero

And Jack White's new gear, The Dead Weather. OMG. By this tomorrow. From your CD store, not i-tunes!

Regards

James

Naim 282/250/hi-cap/cd5xs/dac/stageline, mac book pro/fidelia/amarra hifi/halide bridge, rega p3/24, focal utopia scala

Very diverse range of sound sources. I'll definetly check some of them out and also the NIN DL.

Mac Mini 500gb server dedicated, Van Den Hul Optocoupler II, Benchmark DAC1 USB, Nordost Red Dawn IC, Primaluna Proloague I (with NOS Blackburn EL34 XF2, NOS GE black Plate 5751\'s and NOS 7316 Bugleboy), Nordost Blue Heaven Bi-wire speaker cables to Maggies.

"Audiophile sounds?

I use Paul Anka's Rock Swings as my system reference."

I agree. Don't let the fact its Paul Anka stop you from picking this CD up. Brilliant Big Band Swing album yet mixed and mastered on today's digital gear. SQ is superb. Good call!

James[br]

I love Jazz at the Pawn Shop!!

Dire Straits is of course a very well recorded album...

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

Hello

This is a great site and have been an interested reader for months now.

Decided to register and this is my first post.

A few of my favorite titles in my collection are as follows:

1. The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society - 3 Disc Collectors Edition Sanctuary Import

2. Zombies - Odessey and Oracle - 40th Anniversary 2 Disc Edition

3. Trash Can Sinatras - Cake (Japan Bonus Tracks) FYI - Any Sinatras Fans Their New Albums "In the Music" is out next Tuesday.

4. R.E.M. - Life's Rich Pageant

5. Housemartins - People Who Grinned Themselves To Death

6. Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food

7. Paul Simon - Graceland

8. Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne

9. Wilco - Summerteeth

10. Replacements - Tim

11. XTC - Skylarking

Cheers For Now

Roku Soundbridge M1000 - Musical Fidelity M1 DAC - Musical Fidelity A1 Integrated - KEF xQ10[br]PS Audio Duet - PS Audio AC-3 - PS Audio AC-5[br]Apogee Wyde Eye S/PDIF - Audio Art SC-5[br]God Save The Kinks

bw -

I'm a casual Kinks fan, and have Village Green on my mental list of great cult albums. But I only own the one disc Reprise (I think) version.

What's the three disc set about?

best,

s.

\"...many people are doped up, drunk, compulsive liars or completely bat-s**t insane. And some are all of those, all the time.\" - found on Slashdot, 4.11.11

Check out this link at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Village-Green-Preservation-Society/dp/B00280J1HI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1248554979&sr=1-2

Contains Stereo & Mono Versions plus almost all songs that they cut during this era (spans late 66 to 68)

Roku Soundbridge M1000 - Musical Fidelity M1 DAC - Musical Fidelity A1 Integrated - KEF xQ10[br]PS Audio Duet - PS Audio AC-3 - PS Audio AC-5[br]Apogee Wyde Eye S/PDIF - Audio Art SC-5[br]God Save The Kinks

In no particular order:

1. Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior

2. Paul Simon - Graceland

3. Nikolaus Harnoncourt/Chamber Orchestra of Europe - The Nine Beethoven Symphonies (1991)

4. Cal Tjader - Soul Sauce

5. Mongo Santamaria - Mr. Watermelon Man/ La Bamba

6. Level 42 - World Machine

7. Keith Jarrett - Live at the Blue Note (6 disc set)

8. Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Penguin Cafe Orchestra

9. Bill Bruford's Earthworks - Dig? (The question mark is part of the title)

10. Claude Bolling - Suite for Violin and Jazz Piano Trio

11. Miles Davis - '58 Miles Featuring Stella by Starlight

12. Flim and the BB's - The Further Adventures Of

13. Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

14. Fine Young Cannibals - The Raw & The Cooked

15. Neil Diamond - The Neil Diamond Collection

16. Petula Clark - Downtown: The Greatest Hits Of

17. Vince Guaraldi - Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus

18. Vince Guaraldi - A Charlie Brown Christmas Soundtrack (Christmas is nothing without this masterpiece!)

19. Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert

20. Kate Bush - The Kick Inside

Yes, this is a long list (could have been even longer!) but if these were the only disc I owned, I would be happy.

Randall

Sources: iPad Air 3, iPhone 8+, Asus Chromebook C201-PA

DAC/AMP: Hidisz S8, Astell & Kern XB10 Bluetooth module

IEM's: Fiio FA1, Hidisz Seeds, Fiio FH1S, Shouer H27, BGVP KC2, KZ ZS10 Pro's, (and several lesser iem's and earbuds)

Accesories: Various MMCX and 2-pin cables.

-----------------------------------------

Professional pianist, composer - master improvisationist.

...is from 1986, by the great, under-rated jazz piano player Mal Waldron.

It's called 'Update,' and it's just Waldron at the piano, which is more than enough. By this stage of his life, he was playing freer than he had as a young man, though there's nothing dissonant or unapproachable about this music.

He does two long pieces dedicated to Cecil Taylor, and though they don't at all sound like Taylor's work, he catches the spirit. The rest are standards, including my favorite version of 'A Night in Tunisia.'

There are too many solo piano albums out there, and there are enough great ones. This is in a whole different class; it's its own little world - slightly out of phase with this one, alien even, but not scary. A perfect miniature.

s.

\"...many people are doped up, drunk, compulsive liars or completely bat-s**t insane. And some are all of those, all the time.\" - found on Slashdot, 4.11.11

I took the liberty of listening to some sample tracks from 'Update' as well as 'Impressions' from 1959 as well as watching him on YouTube and I must say I'm impressed. I like the idea that he wasn't just another bop pianist. Sometimes, I think there's too much emphasis on maintaining the bop tradition but I've always enjoy those that can stretch beyond the norm. Chick Corea and Thelonius Monk are my two favorite pianist because their sound is completely unlike anyone else's.

I think Mal deserves a place among that elite group.

Sources: iPad Air 3, iPhone 8+, Asus Chromebook C201-PA

DAC/AMP: Hidisz S8, Astell & Kern XB10 Bluetooth module

IEM's: Fiio FA1, Hidisz Seeds, Fiio FH1S, Shouer H27, BGVP KC2, KZ ZS10 Pro's, (and several lesser iem's and earbuds)

Accesories: Various MMCX and 2-pin cables.

-----------------------------------------

Professional pianist, composer - master improvisationist.

Mos Def - Black on Both Sides

Tom Waits - Bone Machine

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig! Lazarus Dig!

Akron/Family - Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free

Supersilent - 7

Balmorhea - All is Wild, All is Silent

Battles - Mirrored (Perfect, imo)

The Band - The Band

Pete Rock and CL Smooth - Mecca and the Soul Brother

Primus - Frizzle Fry

The Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Graves

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Buena Vista Social Club - S/T

Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk

Charles Lloyd - Sangam

John Abercrombie - The Third Quartet

Contemporary Noise Quintet - Pig Inside the Gentleman

Some of my recent favorites

Beth Hart - 37 Days

Madeleine Peyroux

Robert Pant and Alison Kraus - Raising Sand

Long term regulars

Anything by Pink Floyd

Early Genesis

Led Zepplin

Any many many more ... love most music and can listen for hours - but generally will listen to whole albums not individual tracks.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The first three Southside albums were magnificent. I think they - and especially HoS - easily rival Springsteen's stuff from the same period. As far as I'm concerned, they drove off a cliff after that, until 'Better Days.'

Essential stuff.

s.

Greetings all,

I have found that very few live concert recordings work for me. Two that come to mind that do work, however, are Warren Zevon's 1980 "Stand In The Fire" (and a big thanks to Rhino for finally getting this out on CD in their 2007 release) and Dream Syndicate's 1989 release reissued in complete form in 2004 "The Complete Live At Raji's".

Regards,

Mister Wednesday

• 1 month later...

Here my list of Music to Live for that I've added this year:

Andy Fox "Bamboo" (Acoustic Guitar only)

Erik Mongrain "Fates" (Acoustic Guitar only)

Andy McKee "Art of Motion" (Acoustic Guitar only)

Stefano Barone "Particolare#Uno (Acoustic Guitar only)

Adam Rafferty "Gratitude (Acoustic Guitar only-With some Stevie Wonder covers-done very well)

Fishbelly Black "Crusader" (Jazz-upbeat)

Bona Fide "Soul Lounge (Jazz-upbeat)

Kirk Fletcher "Shades of Blue" (Blues)

Love Dogs ' Live and On Fire" (Jump Blues)

Robert Lucas "Luke and the Locomotives" (Blues on the Audio Quest Label)

T-Bear & The Dukes of Rhythm "Let the Sweet Talk Flow" (Jump Blues)

The High Kings "The High Kings" (Celtic and current disc I list to the most)

That's it for now.

Kmac

• 5 months later...