IGNORED

Computer Audiophile: Records To Live For, Vol. 1 (R2L4)

forum-profile-pic.jpg Stereophile's R2D4 article got me thinking. Let's start our annual Computer Audiophile Records To Live For? Spin this however you want, but I'd rather have the word live in the title than discuss a record to die for. Let us know what records you recommend this year. Whether it came out this year or this century is irrelevant. What are your R2L4?

Music can really enhance everyone's life, so lets kick off the first annual Computer Audiophile R2L4!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 1 year later...

For some reason I think this list may have carried over to the forums under another name which would make it real hard to find unfortunately.

Stone Temple Pilots have a bunch of good albums. My favorite are the first three, 1. Core, 2. Purple, 3. Tiny Music ...

There is a DVD-Audio available of Core and it is ripp-able at 24/96 on to a music server.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 3 weeks later...

Much as I like this site and find it very informative, there is a feeling that it has more to do with the gear than the music. I'm sure this is not the intention of Chris, and its certainly not something new- the old audiophile debate, of music v's equipment.

Anyway, to keep the music vibe going strong I thought I'd post a couple of my favourite artists/records that I couldn't live without. Here goes:

PJ Harvey-To Bring You my Love

Pearl Jam- Live at the Gorge (the best live recordings.Period)

Tool- Lateralus

Red Sparrowes- Every Red Heart Shines Towards the Red Sun

Mogwai- Mr Beast

Miles Davis- Sketches of Spain

All have outstanding records, of various recording quality, but it is definitely more about the music than anything else.

All the best

Ryan

Was listening yesterday to the 1977 album by The Rumour (as in Graham Parker and the Rumour) called Max. Bought the original LP when it first came out and found a new remastered copy of it on CD on the Hux label (Hux 093) last year.

Great, great tunes and a beautiful job of mastering too.

Chris,

Just to let you know I finished ripping my complete CD collection to my system last week and it's an amazing experience to be able to move around through the collection so easily now all from the comfort of my listening chair. And using your tip about using a MacBook Air as a remote control under the Mac Screen Sharing function is absolutely brilliant.

Thanks so much for all your help and advice over the past few months to get me up and running with this system. My thanks in this regard also go out to all in this Computer Audiophile community who contributed their experiences and advice to my questions. It's been very much appreciated as always.

Happy listening and regards to all,

Mister Wednesday

Chris,

I saw Pearl Jam on the Ten tour back in '91 but never really followed them any further until recently. Through an ex girlfriend who was into them I started listening to them, and then got Live at the Gorge which blew me away. Been a massive fan since then and now got most of their stuff including some of the bootlegs from the website.

I'm going to see them next month in the UK where Gomez are supporting. Fortunately they are also one of my favourite bands. If you've never checked them out get their debut record called Bring it On- on vinyl if you can as its a great recording.

Ryan

Counting Crows: Bird Across a Wire Live Double CD

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

U2: Under a Blood Red Sky, Live at Red Rocks

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

Ray Lynch: Deep Breakfast

Hey Ryan - What timing! I just received this email.

In support of their anticipated new release, Backspacer, in stores September 20th, Pearl Jam will be spending some time back on the road, with a series of select North American tour dates.

The tour kicks off in the band's hometown of Seattle, WA with two shows at the Key Arena on September 21st and 22nd, and closes with two shows at Philadelphia's historic Spectrum on October 28th and 30th.

Ben Harper and Relentless 7 will open all dates, except for the Spectrum Theater shows. All dates are subject to change.

DATE CITY VENUE PRE-SALE DATE/TIME

Sep-21 Seattle, WA Key Arena July 13th, 10am PDT

Sep-22 Seattle, WA Key Arena July 13th, 12pm PDT

Sep-30* Los Angeles, CA Gibson Amp. July 14th, 10am PDT

Oct-1* Los Angeles, CA Gibson Amp. July 14th, 12pm PDT

Oct-6* Los Angeles, CA Gibson Amp. July 14th, 2pm PDT

Oct-7* Los Angeles, CA Gibson Amp. July 14th, 4pm PDT

Oct-9 San Diego, CA Viejas Arena July 15th, 10am PDT

Oct-28 Philadelphia, PA Spectrum July 15th, 12pm PDT

Oct-30 Philadelphia, PA Spectrum July 15th, 2pm PDT

* Due to the limited number of seats at the Gibson Amphitheater, Ten Club members are restricted to select one (1) show only at this venue.

(Note: Potential additional dates and corresponding on-sale information may be announced at a later date.)

The Ten Club ticket pre-sale will begin Monday, July 13th Pacific. You must be active as of July 7, 2009 to qualify for the ticket pre-sale opportunity. Ten Club pre-sale tickets are available online only at https://www.pearljam.com/max with a Visa or Mastercard. No phone, mail, or email orders.

Ten Club tickets will be sold on a first come first serve basis. We will stagger ticket sales to control web traffic, so please pay attention to the corresponding pre-sale dates and times. Pre-sale tickets are first come first serve, while supplies last. Pre-sales for any available tickets will remain open until Thursday, July 16th at 5pm PDT. Confirmations will not be sent until the pre-sale has ended.

For wheelchair accessible seating, please contact us at 1-800-724-8038 before making a ticket purchase.

By opting to purchase tickets, you agree to all Ten Club policies:

⁃ All ticket sales are final. No refunds, transfers or exchanges.

⁃ Two (2) tickets per show. No single tickets.

⁃ Due to the limited amount of seats at the Gibson Amphitheater, Ten Club members are restricted to select one (1) show only at this venue.

⁃ Tickets are not mailed in advance. Tickets are distributed at the venue on the day of the show.

⁃ The fan club member must collect the tickets with a valid photo identification.

⁃ Ten Club tickets are for reserved seating and allocated by membership seniority, with the exception of rows 1-2 and rows 9-10 which will be used for random allocation.

⁃ Seat location is not revealed in advance of the show.

⁃ Reselling of Ten Club tickets will result in cancellation of ticket purchase and revocation of all future ticket benefits.

Click here http://www.pearljam.com/content/ten-club-tickets for information on the official rules, policies, and procedures for purchasing tickets from the Ten Club. We highly recommend that you read these details before purchasing tickets to a show so you are aware of how the ticketing system will work for you!

Philadelphia Tickets go on sale to the general public on Friday, July 17th at 10am EDT. Visit this link for details: www.comcasttix.com

All other confirmed shows go on sale to the general public on Saturday, July 18th at 10amPDT. Visit this link for details: www.ticketmaster.com

Questions about Ten Club tickets can be directed to [email protected] or by calling 1-800-724-8038. Your patience is appreciated.

At this time, there are no more North American dates to be added to the current tour. However, keep your eyes on the horizon ... Australia and New Zealand are next. Details to come soon.

10club

Mermaid Ave. Vol 1 & 2

Wilco/Billy Bragg put music to some of Woody Guthrie's lyrics.

Occasional Natalie Merchant guest singing...

If you like the music, the documentary is well worth watching....Man in the Sand

I find that CD transfer of almost any Target CD, West Germany or Japanese original CD provides some of the best imaging, and most analog sounding reproduction. For this my R2L4 list is only limited to what I can find on the used CD market.

Joe

Mac Mini 500gb server dedicated, Van Den Hul Optocoupler II, Benchmark DAC1 USB, Nordost Red Dawn IC, Primaluna Proloague I (with NOS Blackburn EL34 XF2, NOS GE black Plate 5751\'s and NOS 7316 Bugleboy), Nordost Blue Heaven Bi-wire speaker cables to Maggies.

but I like the name.

Mac Mini 500gb server dedicated, Van Den Hul Optocoupler II, Benchmark DAC1 USB, Nordost Red Dawn IC, Primaluna Proloague I (with NOS Blackburn EL34 XF2, NOS GE black Plate 5751\'s and NOS 7316 Bugleboy), Nordost Blue Heaven Bi-wire speaker cables to Maggies.

This is always a fun post. My 11 favs (10 + bonus) in no particular order and ignoring fair representation from all musical flavours are:

1) Doves - Lost Souls

2) Beck - Sea Change

3) Stan Getz - Jazz Around Midnight

4) Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People

5) Rage Against the Machine - ST

6) Spiderbait - GrandSlam

7) Jeff Buckley - Grace

8) Prodgy - The Fat of The Land

9) Stone Roses - ST

10) Radiohead - OK Computer

11) Sigur Rós - Ágaetis Byrjun

The Streetsweeper CD is excellent Chris! Have you heard Zack de la Rocha's project - One Day As a Lion? If you haven't, you should check it out - http://www.onedayasalion.org/

HP Pavillion> J River Media 15> Arcam RDAC > NAD C162> NAD 2400 > Totem Sttafs