IGNORED

Secret Service/Security Earbuds for iPhone???

Hey everyone.

I've been looking for the kind of curly transparent-tube in-ear earbuds security personell are typically seen using... but one that will function with an iPhone/iPod/any other device that interfaces with 3.5mm jacks.

I need it to also have an in-line microphone so I can use it for phone calls, not just listening to music.

Does anyone know where to find such an item???

Thanks.

-Anthony

Hey everyone.

I've been looking for the kind of curly transparent-tube in-ear earbuds security personell are typically seen using... but one that will function with an iPhone/iPod/any other device that interfaces with 3.5mm jacks.

I need it to also have an in-line microphone so I can use it for phone calls, not just listening to music.

Does anyone know where to find such an item???

Thanks.

-Anthony

Who are you conducting surveillance on? It is important to know that so I can appropriately answer the question... ;-)

No electron left behind.

Who are you conducting surveillance on? It is important to know that so I can appropriately answer the question... ;-)

Hi AudioDoctor.

No surveillance going on here. I'm just a regular user, but I like the look and application of discreet communication equipment. I'm currently using Bose earbuds with in-line microphone. They're working great, and now I want a low-profile option as well.

Thank you for your help.

Yes, this style. Trouble is, I've only been able to find this type of earpieces as:

1. radio-only compatible

2. 3.5mm jack, but listen-only

I'm currently using:

http://www.bose.ca/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/in_ear_headphones/index.jsp&model=mie2i_headset

They work great, so I'm looking for a low-visibility version of this in the curly transparent style. I use the Bose earbuds for phone calls on my iPhone all the time, so a listen-only headset is no good to me.

Do these even exist outside of my imagination?

Yes, this style. Trouble is, I've only been able to find this type of earpieces as:

I'm currently using:

http://www.bose.ca/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/in_ear_headphones/index.jsp&model=mie2i_headset

They work great, so I'm looking for a low-visibility version of this in the curly transparent style. I use the Bose earbuds for phone calls on my iPhone all the time, so a listen-only headset is no good to me.

I would stick with those. If no one can see you have earphones and a mic, they might think you are talking to "imaginary friends" or something like that...

Anyway, I have never seen transparent earbuds/mics, but chances are fair that inconspicuous models are made just for that and sound-quality is aimed at voice/talk, not music...

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

Hanging out where I do, I see on-duty Secret Service agents from time to time, and their headsets are mono, into one ear. You can get these, but unless you like the 1962 transistor-radio sound, it's probably not the way to go, as Peter says.

Have you checked out the Etymotic line? They tend to be pretty unobtrusive (unless you go for the colors), and the higher models likely sound a bit better than your Boses. I have some hf3's that I like pretty well -- bass is not amazing, but they're pretty neutral and detailed. They're also great on planes -- if you use the flanged tips they block out ambient noise better than most active noise cancellation cans.

My one caveat with any of the in-ear phones is that long-term comfort can be an issue, though it's possible to get custom tips (with a visit to the audiologist and some extra cash).

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a pair of custom IEMs which have the clear housing like that, but am totally unsure if they are available with a mic. I have Ultimate Ears 10pro. UE is now owned by Logitech, so perhaps they will come out with a cord with a mic and controls on it.

There are several other custom IEM companies. I would search for custom IEM with microphone, and then figure out which company will do a clear shell for you.

An easier way is to get one of the Etymotic IEM/mic sets which allow they custom ear part. Those are silicone tips made from your ear impression, that go on the standard Ety IEMs. Much less expensive custom work, and I know you can do it with the telephone friendly sets.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys