IGNORED

Article: SOtM sMS-1000 Audiophile Music Server Review

How well it works depends on how well J-River managed the metadata. You should also be able to use the date field and browse the directory structure...

Thanks Jesus R.

JRiver managed the metadata very well IMO. I have something like 3.000 CDs and more than half is from classical music, so I created a field named Grouping to group tracks from composer's work like "Korngold_1947_1952_Symphony.inF#+.Op40" (4 tracks from an album with 8 tracks and 2 works). This way I can search my library for each composer's work and listen the work that I am looking for. Is different when I will listen "Joni Mitchell_1971_Blue", because here the Grouping is the Album.

Could I use that metadata structure with SMS-1000?

Thanks.

Dalton

"Si vous avez compris, vous avez sûrement tort." (Lacan)

Everything will be transferred to sms-1000; but the remote app is limited. Right now i have problems getting the cover/ folder.jpg to show up on MPAD application.

Moiz, the remote app is far from limited. You may not have it set up properly and not understand how to use it, but that is something different.

You have to tell the app where to look for the covers...

2. The iPhone/iTouch/iPad application MPoD/MPaD are advanced controllers for playback through the unit. It's intended to give control of playback of the unit in the palm of your hand and requires that you complete the Installation/Start Up first. In addition it requires the following set up:

2.1 Enter Settings on your mobile device and make sure you are logged into your home network and provide your network password as required. Also, set Airplane Mode to ON. This may require you to restart your Wi-Fi.

2.2 Install the free application MPoD/MPaD.

2.3 Start MPoD/MPaD and select the Bulls Eye icon, then select Vortexbox Player from the Discovered Players. This will automatically configure your connection. Now select Advanced and scroll to the bottom of this screen and make the following changes:

change URL to http://ip-address/music

*the ip-address is above already entered above for you so just copy it.

change Filename to cover.jpg

* the name most match what you actually have in the folder with the content, it most be consistent and caps matter.

Select Refresh Local Cache and then select Update Database.

Select Save

This will allow MPod/MPaD to see and display your cover art properly. Now select Save. In the Connection screen make sure the name Vortexbox Player is highlighted gray (if not select it to make it gray).

We mostly use cover.jpg because that is what the unit does for it's rips. You can use anything as long as it's consistent as noted above.

You may also need to restart the the APP with a double tap of the button, then hold the app down and press the minus. Sometimes you can also add the covers manually by selecting the title as if you where going to add it to the playlist, but instead hit the Add Cover button.

Jesus R

Thanks Jesus R.

JRiver managed the metadata very well IMO. I have something like 3.000 CDs and more than half is from classical music, so I created a field named Grouping to group tracks from composer's work like "Korngold_1947_1952_Symphony.inF#+.Op40" (4 tracks from an album with 8 tracks and 2 works). This way I can search my library for each composer's work and listen the work that I am looking for. Is different when I will listen "Joni Mitchell_1971_Blue", because here the Grouping is the Album.

Thanks.

Alkan, what I mean is some programs mask the issues with the content's metadata and are not actually fixing the metadata for use with other programs. I don't know what J-River does with the sea of possible settings in it's setup so you have to check things. I use the Browse option since my collection is organized by genre/album/artist/track title and it's very easy to find things this way...

Jesus R

Alkan, what I mean is some programs mask the issues with the content's metadata and are not actually fixing the metadata for use with other programs. I don't know what J-River does with the sea of possible settings in it's setup so you have to check things. I use the Browse option since my collection is organized by genre/album/artist/track title and it's very easy to find things this way...

Jesus R

Thank you.

Dalton

Good morning Chris.

You use JRiver and tested sMS-1000. Could you enlightened me about that question I putted to Jesus: JRiver managed the metadata very well IMO. I have something like 3.000 CDs and more than half is from classical music, so I created a field named Grouping to group tracks from composer's work like "Korngold_1947_1952_Symphony.inF#+.Op40" (4 tracks from an album with 8 tracks and 2 works). This way I can search my library for each composer's work and listen the work that I am looking for. Is different when I will listen "Joni Mitchell_1971_Blue", because here the Grouping is the Album.

Dalton

• 3 months later...

I've got a couple of questions

Could I get a version of the SMS-1000 with a large internal SSD (and no DVD ripper)?

If so, could I simply move my entire itunes library over and search and run aiff and aac files using vortexbox?

(P.S I know how to mount a linux share using smb within OSX.. so getting the files onto the SMS-1000 would not be a problem..)

Cheers.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

• 1 year later...
I've got a couple of questions

Could I get a version of the SMS-1000 with a large internal SSD (and no DVD ripper)?

If so, could I simply move my entire itunes library over and search and run aiff and aac files using vortexbox?

(P.S I know how to mount a linux share using smb within OSX.. so getting the files onto the SMS-1000 would not be a problem..)

Cheers.

Yes SOtM has this as a custom option. You can copy the files from iTunes direct to the VortexBox using an SMB share or SuperSync.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/