IGNORED

Article: SOtM sMS-1000 Audiophile Music Server Review

I have 2 questions for Chris (or anyone who may know the answer for that matter):<br />

<br />

First, since you mentioned that the HDD can be custom ordered in a larger capacity, do you know if it is possible for it to be replaced by an SSD altogether since large capacity SSDs are beginning to appear in the market?<br />

<br />

Secondly, is there any reason you used the MPad app as opposed to the Squeezebox app that appears to be recommended in the SoTM manual? I assume the MPad is superior?

the larger sizes drives are part of the planned builds and not really custom, but more special order. An SSD drive is not offered on the SOtM server as an option.<br />

<br />

MPaD is great because it's full size and really slick. The Logitech apps are also very popular and very easy to set up. It's up to you and there is no wrong or right app to use...<br />

<br />

Jesus R

the digital server with SPDIF and AES/EBU outputs also has a USB output. The only thing is that the USB output is not via a tX-USB card. You can also use the USB server with your favorite USB converter and get SPDIF and or AES/EBU outputs. It's really up to you and your needs...<br />

<br />

Jesus R

Thank you, Jesus. Perhaps my original question doesn't make sense, which is why no one besides you has responded. What I want to know is how the USB compares sonically with the other outputs. I mean, why would you choose the USB version if you didn't have a USB DAC and had to use a converter? But that's exactly what Chris did. Was that a good decision?

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

it's a pretty complex question because your not comparing apples to apples. It's also not been done as far as I know. In Chris's case I think the USB server is the correct choice because it allows him to directly compare the CAPS2 server to the SOtM server. Some people don't need the flexibility and some want to be able to try a bunch of different options. So it really depends on the end user. I did see an early picture of the inside of the digital server and I can tell you it had some pretty sophisticated boards. I'll find out more about the digital server in the next couple days and post some additional comments...<br />

<br />

Jesus R

I managed to find a user manual for the SOtM. It’s an Atom based server with free software and a pretty enclosure, an enclosure you can probably buy for a couple of hundred dollars. Am I the only one who thinks selling maybe 5 or 6 hundred dollars’ worth of functionality for 3k is wildly overpriced?

Totally agree. I find it disturbing the lack of discussion in the review about the CPU & speed, motherboard (ie. is this a custom design or perhaps more likely based on one of the usual OEM's?), amount of RAM, what the back port layout looks like, does this thing even have HDMI/VGA/DVI video out if ever you need to do some debugging, what HD, etc... Also, some basic comment around noise emission, HD seek noise, etc. would be essential.

Look, I understand that this is supposed to be a standalone music server and all, but geez, it's *still a computer* and if I plunk down $2500 (not much less than $3000 with tax and shipping probably), I really should know what this thing is capable of! I would argue that the computer world moves fast and in less than 5 years, this nice looking machine may need to be "repurposed".

I find it odd all the focus put on the USB PCI card (seriously, I haven't bought a plain jane PCI card in years since most are moving to PCI-E, and most mini-ATX motherboards have abandoned PCI) and nary a word on the rest of the innards. My suspicion is that this is really all that separates this device from anything else one can easily put together other than the case. I see that the USB card can be had from SOtM for $300 if one truly believes in the value of a fancy USB port.

Sorry to be so negative but you're calling this article a "review". I can't tell the difference between this "review" and what would constitute something a manufacturer would put together as advertisement.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Totally agree. I find it disturbing the lack of discussion in the review about the CPU & speed, motherboard (ie. is this a custom design or perhaps more likely based on one of the usual OEM's?), amount of RAM, what the back port layout looks like, does this thing even have HDMI/VGA/DVI video out if ever you need to do some debugging, what HD, etc... Also, some basic comment around noise emission, HD seek noise, etc. would be essential.

Look, I understand that this is supposed to be a standalone music server and all, but geez, it's *still a computer* and if I plunk down $2500 (not much less than $3000 with tax and shipping probably), I really should know what this thing is capable of! I would argue that the computer world moves fast and in less than 5 years, this nice looking machine may need to be "repurposed".

I find it odd all the focus put on the USB PCI card (seriously, I haven't bought a plain jane PCI card in years since most are moving to PCI-E, and most mini-ATX motherboards have abandoned PCI) and nary a word on the rest of the innards. My suspicion is that this is really all that separates this device from anything else one can easily put together other than the case. I see that the USB card can be had from SOtM for $300 if one truly believes in the value of a fancy USB port.

Sorry to be so negative but you're calling this article a "review". I can't tell the difference between this "review" and what would constitute something a manufacturer would put together as advertisement.

disturbing |disˈtərbiNG|

adjective

causing anxiety; worrying:disturbing unemployment figures.

Hi Archimago - Wow, I'm surprised you find this disturbing. We're talking about a music server that is built for tons of people who, unlike you, either know nothing about putting something like this together or who have no desire to put something like this together.

In case you didn't read the entire review, you can find the operating instructions at the bottom in PDF form. In those instructions is a complete explanation of the front and back panels.

I agree if you plunk down $2500 you should know what this server is capable of doing. This is the reason I always tell readers to use my reviews as a single data point among many and to never purchase anything based on my reviews. Yes this is still a computer, but so is my $400 iPhone. Everything is a computer now days.

I know I'll be using different music servers in five years and wouldn't expect this to last five years for myself. However, I'm willing to bet this unit will last much longer than five years for users not interested in upgrading. Just because the computer world moves fast doesn't mean this server stops working. It plays audio like an appliance and doesn't need upgrading. It's perfect for many people.

it's clear you are interested in something completely different than what I write. Calling my review an advertisement is something I take seriously. I used this server for several weeks and spent a large amount of time planning and writing a review targeted to the product's main audience. I think it's somewhat ill-informed (willingly or otherwise) to expect something like a product teardown and cost of parts article when the target audience is people who aren't really interested in such write-ups.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I managed to find a user manual for the SOtM. It’s an Atom based server with free software and a pretty enclosure, an enclosure you can probably buy for a couple of hundred dollars. Am I the only one who thinks selling maybe 5 or 6 hundred dollars’ worth of functionality for 3k is wildly overpriced?

Hi awayalways - Did yo manage to find the user manual one paragraph below the review or did you go searching elsewhere?

I would like to know where you can purchase this enclosure as you speculate for a couple hundred dollars.

The price of the unit reviewed is $2,499. Did you use the most expensive version to make your example look better?

I think you should educate yourself in the cost of products through a distribution chain and the associated cost of product support. Everyone needs to make a profit from the manufacturer to the distributor/importer to the dealer. The dealer can also burn through his profit in one or two support calls or personal visits to a customer's house.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

What I find disturbing is that you don't give much thought to your comments. You could have used your post to ask questions and to learn, but instead you chose to waive your sword around. You could have used your post to make recommendations, but instead you chose to use your words as a weapon and attack. IMO your just making an ass of yourself and being disruptive on purpose.

The SOtM server is a prescription. The server is designed by SOtM to give 24/192 playback and it achieves its goal and it can actually do more. This is not a speed contest. Understand that a lot of research has gone into determining what is actually needed. A larger CPU and more RAM compared to what is actually needed adds cost, adds heat, adds complexity, adds EMI and adds RF. What is important is how it sounds because it is a "music server" after all.

I did a quick search on Newegg.com. I found 130 motherboards with PCI slots. So I fail to see your concern about PCI slots because there are plenty of motherboards available with them. Your suspicion is correct on the SOtM USB card. It is clearly the SOtM USB card and the SOtM power board that makes this music server as good as it is. I'm pleased that the SOtM USB card is available to everyone. SOtM understands that the server is not for everyone and have given the DIY the option to buy the card for there own builds.

Finally, I think you owe Chris an apology! There are no extra points for the hard work he puts into the reviews of products...

Jesus R

Team, this morning Vortexbox has been updated to allow DSD beta testing. This update brings in the latest MPD code along with a patch by Jurgen K. that adds DSF support to the existing DFF support. Go to the Vortexbox web GUI and upgrade your unit. Then contact me so I can help you set it up...<br />

<br />

Jesus R

Thanks Jesus for the updates and please advise us of developments in this field. I realise that nothing may happen on the surface, but deep below is a hive of activity.

In the meantime, I will save for a DSD capable device, that may be a DAC like MPD-3 from Playback Designs, or an appliance running Vortexbox or Voyage or both. If it wasn't for the SQ I get currently with a Mac, I would dump OSX and PC for audio use tomorrow. Sadly enjoyment is often missed, when one has to spend 20mins to get the server working messing with settings that should be remembered.

With an appliance it's easier, a simpler GUI client, but really not that many to choose from that I personally like. The decision for the DAC to be DSD capable wasn't premature, it was forecasting for future needs, but based on available technology today, there are limited solutions.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Hi kayelefkay - Hopefully Jesus can answer the hard drive question. <br />

<br />

I used MPaD because I think it's the best remote app for MPD based Linux servers and Jesus from Simple Design the US distributor recommended it. <br />

<br />

I would love an app developed that had more information on the songs playing, artists, etc, along the lines of the sooloos. I am not sure if sooloos has put a lot of effort into sourcing that info, or if their software is just cleverer in digging that out of databases elsewhere. Anyways it makes for a very engaging listening experience. Sort of like reading the lp notes etc. I certainly would pay for an control app that had more of that functionality.

Rogers High Fidelity EHF-100 amp, Sony es5400 scd, Castle Harlech speakers, mac book pro, pure music

Hello all, I am happy to say that I actually own a sMS-1000 and I’m loving it! The unit is so easy to use; it looks beautiful and sounds great! I have slowly, but surely, ripped all my CD’s directly into the sMS-1000 utilizing the slick ripping slot located on the front of the unit. Slide your CD in the slot and the server pulls it in. Once your CD has been inserted into the server, the server goes out searching and comes back with all the information about the album complete with cover art. Within minutes your CD has been ripped, bit perfect, into the server. It’s great! and so easy. (I also have it set up to where the server also backs up my newly ripped or downloaded music to a back up NAS) All this information is then instantly available on my iPad to start playing. I can even rip discs and still listen to music at the same time. Gotta love it. BTW – my CD’s that have been ripped into the sMS-1000 sound better then the CD played thru my $14,000 CD player too! That was a very pleasant surprise because I thought my CD player sounded great in the first place. I’m not a big computer techie guy but the Linux platform along with the open source Vortexbox that allows for input from sources all over the world makes sense to me. The ability to go in and add and change things as new technology becomes available is imperative. I have only used the USB output thus far, but plan to listen to the other output sources as well. There are so many different things one can try with this unit or one can just plug and play it. This is a well put together unit and I’m glad that I choose to purchase it.

I’m not sure what you are referring to Chris, but if you are inferring that I am in “cahoots” with Eric in some way you are way off base sir. I had posted one of the first posts inquiring about information regarding the sMS-1000 months ago and you responded saying that you had just received a unit and would be preparing a review. I found Eric as a dealer here in California and I purchased my units from him – beyond that I have no affiliation with Eric what so ever. He is what I stated however. The knowledge and customer support given by Eric was, and is, unmatched. I don’t know what has gone on between you and Eric, but I have been eagerly awaiting your review of the SOtM gear, it just came out, and I am now responding with my experiences – thus the “timing” of my response. I thought that this is what this forum was all about! My post regarding the SOtM gear and my experience are 100% my own, unsolicited, honest thoughts - plain and simple. I really don’t understand why a member of this forum can not comment about a local dealer that went above and beyond for them with a purchase. Eric really does know the ins and outs of this gear! I’m going to say it again - I have no affiliation with Eric other than I bought this gear from him, had a great experience and would like to let other members know. Again, I don’t know what went on between you and Eric, but Eric is a first class person and a top rate dealer and deserves to be mentioned.

Thank you, Jesus. Perhaps my original question doesn't make sense, which is why no one besides you has responded. What I want to know is how the USB compares sonically with the other outputs. I mean, why would you choose the USB version if you didn't have a USB DAC and had to use a converter? But that's exactly what Chris did. Was that a good decision?

DanRubin, I have the additional information on the SOtM sMS-1000d digital servers and I think I can better answer your question now. I could post the information here, but it might be best if you e-mail me at [email protected]

Jesus R

I’m not sure what you are referring to Chris, but if you are inferring that I am in “cahoots” with Eric in some way you are way off base sir. I had posted one of the first posts inquiring about information regarding the sMS-1000 months ago and you responded saying that you had just received a unit and would be preparing a review. I found Eric as a dealer here in California and I purchased my units from him – beyond that I have no affiliation with Eric what so ever. He is what I stated however. The knowledge and customer support given by Eric was, and is, unmatched. I don’t know what has gone on between you and Eric, but I have been eagerly awaiting your review of the SOtM gear, it just came out, and I am now responding with my experiences – thus the “timing” of my response. I thought that this is what this forum was all about! My post regarding the SOtM gear and my experience are 100% my own, unsolicited, honest thoughts - plain and simple. I really don’t understand why a member of this forum can not comment about a local dealer that went above and beyond for them with a purchase. Eric really does know the ins and outs of this gear! I’m going to say it again - I have no affiliation with Eric other than I bought this gear from him, had a great experience and would like to let other members know. Again, I don’t know what went on between you and Eric, but Eric is a first class person and a top rate dealer and deserves to be mentioned.

Hi kmund - I'd be very please to be wrong in this case.

"I really don’t understand why a member of this forum can not comment about a local dealer that went above and beyond for them with a purchase."

This is not the case and I believe you are overgeneralizing greatly. CA is filled with people sharing great experiences with their dealers.

Given the current situation I don't get why you are so adamant about talking about your dealer. After the situation cools down it might be a much better time to do so.

Hi kmund - I'd be very please to be wrong in this case.

"I really don’t understand why a member of this forum can not comment about a local dealer that went above and beyond for them with a purchase."

This is not the case and I believe you are overgeneralizing greatly. CA is filled with people sharing great experiences with their dealers.

Given the current situation I don't get why you are so adamant about talking about your dealer. After the situation cools down it might be a much better time to do so.

Hello Chris, thank you for responding.

First of all Chris - I am not upset if that is what you mean by letting the situation calm down? Not sure what you mean there? With all do respect, the more appropriate question might be – why do you seem upset?

At any rate, I've always thought that you run an outstanding, fair, informative website and have enjoyed reading all the information that you and others have put out.

Second... you can be “very pleased” because you are wrong about what ever you think may be "going on". Your paranoia is... odd. I'm just a painting contractor, audiophile dude that bought a piece of gear from and outstanding dealer that went out of his way to help me and want to let others know of that experience. That's it - no "hidden agenda". The SOtM gear works great and yes - I want to promote Eric - absolutely - the guy is awesome! This is the first and only purchase that I have ever made from Eric and it won't be the last. He is an outstanding dealer and he knows his stuff. We need more guys like Eric in this hobby.

And yes Chris, I was being somewhat facicious when I said that I thought this was a forum where people could talk about a good experience that they had with a product and/or dealer. Of course, people have commented about other positive experiences that they have had with other dealers on this website. That is why it caught me off guard when you edited my original post and took out all of the positive comments that I had about Eric! What are your intentions Chris?

At any rate, thanks for the website Chris.

Oh, one other thing - I plan to post my positive experience with SOtM gear and Eric over on Gon and any other forum that I have time to post on – so the “conspiracy” continues!

Take a big breath Chris and relax.

Best wishes to you and your website.

disturbing |disˈtərbiNG|

adjective

causing anxiety; worrying:disturbing unemployment figures.

Hi Archimago - Wow, I'm surprised you find this disturbing. We're talking about a music server that is built for tons of people who, unlike you, either know nothing about putting something like this together or who have no desire to put something like this together.

In case you didn't read the entire review, you can find the operating instructions at the bottom in PDF form. In those instructions is a complete explanation of the front and back panels.

I agree if you plunk down $2500 you should know what this server is capable of doing. This is the reason I always tell readers to use my reviews as a single data point among many and to never purchase anything based on my reviews. Yes this is still a computer, but so is my $400 iPhone. Everything is a computer now days.

I know I'll be using different music servers in five years and wouldn't expect this to last five years for myself. However, I'm willing to bet this unit will last much longer than five years for users not interested in upgrading. Just because the computer world moves fast doesn't mean this server stops working. It plays audio like an appliance and doesn't need upgrading. It's perfect for many people.

it's clear you are interested in something completely different than what I write. Calling my review an advertisement is something I take seriously. I used this server for several weeks and spent a large amount of time planning and writing a review targeted to the product's main audience. I think it's somewhat ill-informed (willingly or otherwise) to expect something like a product teardown and cost of parts article when the target audience is people who aren't really interested in such write-ups.

Thanks for the response Chris. Don't get me wrong... I very much enjoy the site and for many of your reviews, I have nothing but good words for what you do when I discuss this stuff with folks getting into the computer audio game.

I did not see the link at the bottom of the review but have since looked at the PDF manual.

Having said this though, I'm wondering if you've polled readership about what they want and whether a write up like this is adequate? Hardware reviews (especially computer hardware) are of amazing standard on the web these days. If you intend to "dumb down" to the lowest common denominator reviews like this with a few pictures and diagrams that look like something from the PR department, I honestly feel that many discerning readers will question the value of the review or at best look elsewhere for detailed opinions. Just look at that PDF manual even! This was NOT written for grandma to set up VortexBox, DLNA, and NFS. Do you think ma & pa are going to know what LMS is, or be able to figure out what FLAC Mirroring is supposed to do!? Also checkout the emptiness that is their FAQ on this product. Non-technically minded folks are going to have big problems with this device!

IMO, it is essentially to tell the readers that this server looks like it's based on a single core Atom N270 @1.60. At least that's the grainy picture shown on page 15 of the manual. Anyone who has played with a machine based on this CPU over the last 4 years will know what I'm getting at in terms of performance to expect. I don't think anyone using this machine to do something like LMS with a large library would be impressed with the $2500 purchase (I know, I tried on this CPU with 4G of RAM and still have such a machine sitting gathering dust - even something like an Atom N550 would have been much more appropriate at this price point!)... This is the kind of stuff I hope you would discuss.

BTW: Even for an iPhone review, it would be expected to have a picture of what the back looks like and what exactly the jacks and ports look like. Even for the iPhone or iPad, people talk about the processor, so much more essential for this.

Notice also that the manufacturer doesn't give a peep about the processor other than that picture I mentioned - not on web site, not in manual. I'm pretty sure they're not proud of this.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

What I find disturbing is that you don't give much thought to your comments. You could have used your post to ask questions and to learn, but instead you chose to waive your sword around. You could have used your post to make recommendations, but instead you chose to use your words as a weapon and attack. IMO your just making an ass of yourself and being disruptive on purpose.

The SOtM server is a prescription. The server is designed by SOtM to give 24/192 playback and it achieves its goal and it can actually do more. This is not a speed contest. Understand that a lot of research has gone into determining what is actually needed. A larger CPU and more RAM compared to what is actually needed adds cost, adds heat, adds complexity, adds EMI and adds RF. What is important is how it sounds because it is a "music server" after all.

I did a quick search on Newegg.com. I found 130 motherboards with PCI slots. So I fail to see your concern about PCI slots because there are plenty of motherboards available with them. Your suspicion is correct on the SOtM USB card. It is clearly the SOtM USB card and the SOtM power board that makes this music server as good as it is. I'm pleased that the SOtM USB card is available to everyone. SOtM understands that the server is not for everyone and have given the DIY the option to buy the card for there own builds.

Finally, I think you owe Chris an apology! There are no extra points for the hard work he puts into the reviews of products...

Jesus R

Believe it or not Jesus, I did put a lot of thought into the comment... I know people don't like criticism but I still think the comment is quite fair and I responded to Chris as above.

As for your "search" on newegg.com. Did you bother looking at actual recent motherboards? Furthermore, did you look at the Atom boards (which as far as I can tell this machine is based on)? You would realize that the miniITX motherboards of the current generation are almost exclusively based on PCI-E. If you look at ncix.com and their current "top 9" selling miniITX Atom boards, as of today, only 1/9 has PCI as the expansion option.

Given what I said in my last post to Chris and the implications in this message, the SOtM sMS-1000 *appears* to be based on a previous generation Atom single-core motherboard with PCI expansion slot; therefore a prospective buyer should probably know this kind of information when thinking about what to expect in terms of performance (not to mention price tag). Is this not important information that should be pretty clear in a reasonably detailed review?

Thanks for the response Chris. Don't get me wrong... I very much enjoy the site and for many of your reviews, I have nothing but good words for what you do when I discuss this stuff with folks getting into the computer audio game.

I did not see the link at the bottom of the review but have since looked at the PDF manual.

Having said this though, I'm wondering if you've polled readership about what they want and whether a write up like this is adequate? Hardware reviews (especially computer hardware) are of amazing standard on the web these days. If you intend to "dumb down" to the lowest common denominator reviews like this with a few pictures and diagrams that look like something from the PR department, I honestly feel that many discerning readers will question the value of the review or at best look elsewhere for detailed opinions. Just look at that PDF manual even! This was NOT written for grandma to set up VortexBox, DLNA, and NFS. Do you think ma & pa are going to know what LMS is, or be able to figure out what FLAC Mirroring is supposed to do!? Also checkout the emptiness that is their FAQ on this product. Non-technically minded folks are going to have big problems with this device!

IMO, it is essentially to tell the readers that this server looks like it's based on a single core Atom N270 @1.60. At least that's the grainy picture shown on page 15 of the manual. Anyone who has played with a machine based on this CPU over the last 4 years will know what I'm getting at in terms of performance to expect. I don't think anyone using this machine to do something like LMS with a large library would be impressed with the $2500 purchase (I know, I tried on this CPU with 4G of RAM and still have such a machine sitting gathering dust - even something like an Atom N550 would have been much more appropriate at this price point!)... This is the kind of stuff I hope you would discuss.

BTW: Even for an iPhone review, it would be expected to have a picture of what the back looks like and what exactly the jacks and ports look like. Even for the iPhone or iPad, people talk about the processor, so much more essential for this.

Notice also that the manufacturer doesn't give a peep about the processor other than that picture I mentioned - not on web site, not in manual. I'm pretty sure they're not proud of this.

Hi Archimago - Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoy the site for the most part.

I haven't polled the CA readership to find out what they want. Rather, I've talked to CA readers in person at shows and events and via email. Also, I publish the kind of reviews I think are necessary. If people don't like them I'm not willing to change with the direction of the wind. Fortunately for the most part the reviews have been received well. Trying to please everybody all the time leads to please nobody, not even myself. I have a vision for where CA is going and what type of reviews need to be on the site. It's all about balance. Keep in mind that less than 1% of the 240,000 CA readers actually post on the site. A huge majority of these non-posting readers don't post because they are very new to computer audio but not new audiophile sound quality. In addition many of the readers I've personally met completely understand this stuff but have no desire to know what they consider minutia. These readers have told me they want a review from someone they respect, and I hope I'm that person, that covers what they'd need to know if they purchased the product. Or what the end user experience is like. Again, it's a balance of some details that I consider important and details readers think is important. There's no right or wrong. I take your criticism as constructive not that you've left the second comment.

I'm glad you think readers will look elsewhere for detailed opinions. I'm by no means the minister of information. People should never render an opinion based solely on one of my reviews. I'm a single data point among many.

Fortunately the sMS-1000 is sold through a dealer network. Grandma will not need to know how to set this thing up. Non-technical people are going to love this product. Once the dealer helps set it up the user will simply need to place a CD in the drive, wait for it to rip, and eject.

With respect to internal components like CPU and RAM, I don't think the target audience for this appliance like product really cares as long as the product delivers on its promises of great sound quality, aesthetics, and ease of use.

The faster iPhone processors make a huge difference for every day use. I don't believe the processor in the sMS-1000 would benefit from a faster processor for every day use.

Discerning readers like you understand some of the ramifications and possible differences processors and chipsets can have on a component. It's likely these readers will find this information out on their own whether I write about it or nobody writes about it.

Again, thanks for the constructive criticism. I take it all seriously.

Believe it or not Jesus, I did put a lot of thought into the comment... I know people don't like criticism but I still think the comment is quite fair and I responded to Chris as above.

As for your "search" on newegg.com. Did you bother looking at actual recent motherboards? Furthermore, did you look at the Atom boards (which as far as I can tell this machine is based on)? You would realize that the miniITX motherboards of the current generation are almost exclusively based on PCI-E. If you look at ncix.com and their current "top 9" selling miniITX Atom boards, as of today, only 1/9 has PCI as the expansion option.

Given what I said in my last post to Chris and the implications in this message, the SOtM sMS-1000 *appears* to be based on a previous generation Atom single-core motherboard with PCI expansion slot; therefore a prospective buyer should probably know this kind of information when thinking about what to expect in terms of performance (not to mention price tag). Is this not important information that should be pretty clear in a reasonably detailed review?

Hi again Archimago - I won't speak for Jesus but want to provide my opinion on your comments above. I think the conversation is getting off base and into distinctions without a difference and splitting hairs that don't need splitting. No matter who started this one, I don't think we need to worry about PCI and PCI-e and new technology on motherboards in a review of the sMS-1000.

I am interested in your opinion about this however. Sure there are newer motherboards available and PCI-e is very prevalent, but what would be the benefit of this technology in the sMS-1000 server as used by the majority of people? When you say, "a prospective buyer should probably know this kind of information when thinking about what to expect in terms of performance", what type of performance are you talking about?

I'm not completely sure, but I'm willing to bet increasing horsepower would mandate a different power supply and possibly create less of an idea environment for audio. Again, not positive just speculating.

I think it will help bridge the gap between our opinions to understand details and why each of us thinks the details are important. I'm not saying we'll agree but we'll better understand each other's points of view.

Thanks Archimago.

Glad to hear it kmund :~)

Hello Chris,

Ok, since we've established that it is appropriate and that members are welcome to talk about a product or dealer that they have had a good experience with, would you please put my original post back up the way that I originally wrote it and without the editing that you did to it?

Thank you. Appreciate it.