IGNORED

Article: Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB Review

Chris, since you are familiar with the dCS Debussy and at one time hinted you were going to say a few words on it a comparison between the Debussy USB in direct and through the Berkeley USB box would be very useful.<br />

<br />

And not to worry about your opinions being taken as the last words, the British press are not shy in comparing similar products directly. Even the commercial HiFi World is bold enough to do blind comparisons between similar products every issue. We all know these are opinions and will audition before making any purchasing decisions anyway.

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

Chris,<br />

<br />

Sorry if I seem critical, while your article is useful as a white paper on technology and features, it is impossible to assess how the product sounds as compared to other products especially DACs with built in async computer interfaces.<br />

<br />

Almost all reviewers at least provide a list the equipment under test and used comparison. The commercial press usually avoids direct competition by being vague on their comparisons, some use products that are way more expensive to avoid troubles with their potential competitors.<br />

<br />

I expect no less from your site. Of course we know this product would sound good given its price and lineage. But how do you think it sounds compared to other products we know you have access to? That is what a reference is for. I know this is only relevant to the context of your system sounding in your room at a particular point in time. We understand that and will read it in that particular context. But without a reference point you might as well skip describing how it sounds. We know it should sound good, but how good?<br />

<br />

(I personally have selfish interest since I think you have access to equipment I own. How about a little hint?)

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

Chris, you have hinted before that you were going to review the dCS Debussy. Now that Berkeley has a complete package It would be very very interesting to review the Debussy as compared to the Berkeley set. They are of similar price range and are pretty good representation of their price range.

>> Chris is reviewing a USB to S/PDIF converter here.<br />

<br />

Understood, what I am curious about is how it would compared with DACs in similar class with built in USB interfaces. The design goals of the built in Vs the separate converter camps are different, and it would be interesting to hear how they would compare. Say, a dCS Debussy via its built in USB converter Vs via the Alpha USB.<br />

<br />

For me, I am also interested in how the Alpha DAC+USB as a complete package compares Debussy USB. They are similar in pricing as a complete package.<br />

<br />

>> If you want a USB to S/PDIF converter and can afford the Berkeley, audition it.<br />

<br />

That is always an option. And reading reviews is another point of reference.<br />

<br />

>> Forget the 'Berkeley philosophy' or whatever, it's a USB to S/PDIF converter review. You want Chris to run comparisons? Fine, but they should be comparisons with other USB to S/PDIF converters and one DAC, not comparisons of this converter performing with many DACs, most of which don't need such a converter anyway.<br />

<br />

Referring to my first point, I as one who owns a DAC with built in USB. But I am also exploring the option of either "upgrading" with an external converter or move to the whole Alpha setup.

Thanks for your informed analysis. <br />

<br />

I sort of assumed that a Firewire or USB to SPDIF converter should not be rocket science, and properly designed devices should not cost an arm and a leg to produce, and should all sound pretty much the same.<br />

<br />

And it would be interesting to listen to elaborate devices such as the Alpha, Weiss and Sonicweld. Obviously Chris seems to be convinced that the Alpha is a significant step up from budget converters. <br />

<br />

From your signature I am quite curious on your choice of Debussy matched with entry naim pre and Mac power amp. As an ex Naimee (282/200/Hicap/nDAC) I am very interested in how you find the new ND5XS as a source, VS the PC-Debussy setup. Are you also using the ND5XS with the Debussy DAC? or just analogue out from the ND5XS?

Good stuff on the Naim, I have been tempted to try out the ND5XS. <br />

<br />

Being a Naimee and an early adopter of the Squeezebox and Transporter, I have been waiting years for a naim streamer streamer with the right features. In fact, I moved away from Naim getting tired of waiting for them to get their gears together.<br />

<br />

The ND5XS seems to be that box but may be a bit too late for me. <br />

<br />

I would be very interested on your findings on its sound Vs the PC, and more importantly, its user interface which to me would make or break a Computer based audio experience.

Thanks pawel8, that was quick. Even though you did not try classical music, given your assessment I am increasingly wanting to try out the Berkeley option. I am unlikely to change though since I am even more curious about the Debussy DSD upgrade.