IGNORED

Article: Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB Review

<cite>Does such interface isolate DAC from the music server good enough to make server specification not important?<br />

I mean to buy such a device and then build media server without taking any care of the quality of the components (sound wise). I could make some $$$ savings on the server side</cite><br />

<br />

Same here. Specifically, I'm wondering if Chris has done comparison between feeding from CAPS v2 through the SOtM USB card vs from the motherboard USB port. First, the SOtM USB card accounts for a large chunk of the cost of the CAPS v2. But more importantly, it imposes a lot restrictions on the architecture of the server. For example, it also requires a PCI bus that some newer Atom motherboard don't have. And by getting rid of the separate USB card altogether, embedded system type boards like the Alix can now be used. This could really open up a world of possibilities...<br />

<br />

Andy

<cite>[...] This is why it's important to understand the merits of the different data path options available (usb-spdif-i2s, soundcard-aes-i2s, usb-i2s or firewire-i2s) as well as other reasons that may have nothing to do with spdif such as cleaner power or better mechanical isolation. [...] This type of comparison should help you decide on technology as opposed to just what 'brand' is better.</cite><br />

<br />

So why are you so sure that this type of comparison can be done and the type of categorical conclusions that you are looking for can be made in a fair and meaningful way?<br />

<br />

I've learned over the years that components should be judged in the context of specific systems, and system configurations should be judged case by case. Collecting a bunch of well regarded components into a system and you might have too much of a good thing. Some unlikely combinations might work really well although it's going against conventional wisdom. Etc...<br />

<br />

The key here is synergy across the whole system, and to arrive at a system with good synergy requires a lot of leg work. Asking around on the net is unlikely to be a substitute for that leg work...<br />

<br />

Andy

Well, I think asking specific question is always fine. And while we're at it Chris, I'm wondering if it would be difficult to answer my question posted way up at the beginning of the thread. Which is: Given Berkeley's claim of all the layers of isolation, how much of a degradation, if any, would there be if one were to bypass the the SOtM USB card and go with the motherboard USB port in the CAPSv2 -> Alpha USB -> Alpha DAC chain? I mean in your system of course :-) Hopefully this test would not be too time consuming to perform.<br />

<br />

As an Alpha DAC owner, there is a good chance that an Alpha USB would be in my system eventually. My plan is to drive the setup with a fanless server similar to CAPSv2. But I also find having to design the system around the SOtM card architecturally rather limiting. So I need to get a feel for how much of the hit I'm going to take by skipping the card.<br />

<br />

Any insight you could offer would be greatly appreciated.<br />

<br />

Andy

<cite>I did my testing in a room at a local store where I do a lot of testing (as much as I can when new components come in) so I am familiar with the sources and components. [...] The setup (with the lamms and magico) was recommended by the owner.</cite><br />

<br />

Since you're familiar with the Lamm ML3 + Magico Q5 combo, could you describe its general characteristics? On the one head, I read somewhere that the Q5 is a real power hog and even Spectral DMA-360 is not enough to bring them to live. On the other hand, SET amps are generally quite finicky about speaker load. Being a SET head, I find this combo rather counter-intuitive. So can the Lamm actually light up the Q5? What front end does sound alive with the combo? Just curious...<br />

<br />

Andy

<cite>@accwai - sorry it was the Q1. I got confused with the magico model numbers (it's hard when one can't even tell what they look like from their site). Yes ML3 wouldn't have been able to drive those big units. The general characteristic... hmmm lets just say I think I would have preferred something with higher sensitivity like horns :-) but that shop does not sell horns so... </cite><br />

<br />

Hmm... What in the sound of the combo makes you prefer higher sensitivity and what changes do you think a pair of horn would bring?<br />

<br />

The reason I'm asking is I have heard the Berkeley sounding delicate and *very* lit up in front of much more mundane SET systems. Certainly not dull and milky as you stated. Now Wilson Benesch, for example, has partnered with deHavilland and uses the latter's Aries GM70 amps on their mid size speakers at shows quite a bit. So amps in the ML3 and Aries power class can work with the medium efficiency speakers. But still a lot depends on the load characteristics and linearity of the speakers. I don't think optimal match can be taken for granted in all cases.<br />

<br />

This brings me to my original question: What is an example of a front end that would sound alive in front of the ML3 and the Q1?<br />

<br />

Andy

<cite>I'm not sure what you mean by 'lit' but if you mean frequency range and response and transients then I agree [...] I just think low wattage SETs benefit high sensitivity drivers because they are extremely detailed and the 'greater acoustic output' of horn topology gives all that fineness and sensitivity the 'oomph' without destroying too much of it.</cite><br />

<br />

That's what I meant by lit from within. It's almost like the music is shimmering light. In my mind though, doing this almost inherently requires staggering PRAT and micro dynamics. So what you described of the Berkeley can't a very lit up.<br />

<br />

<cite>What do you mean by 'front-end'? Do you mean source or other converter? If converter I think sonicweld is better and I am very curious about the off-ramp.</cite><br />

<br />

If I'm not mistaking, the Sonicweld costs quite a bit more than the Alpha USB. As for the Offramp, I believe it has many configurations. I bet the ones that people are doing shoot out with are pretty maxed out, which can also costs quite a bit more than the Berkeley. So one would certainly hope they are better.<br />

<br />

<cite>If you mean source then that'll be for another discussion.</cite><br />

<br />

Yup. I'm pretty discussed out now. So lets leave it at that.<br />

<br />

Andy