IGNORED

Article: JRiver Media Center 17 In Detail

did mention the volume problems I was having in an earlier post in this thread.<br />

<br />

I mainly use the Internal volume setting, and the DSP Studio selections have no effect on the volume control.<br />

<br />

The problem arose when I updated from v17.0.68 to v17.0.99, which is the same download as the link you posted.<br />

<br />

I am now back using the v17.0.68, and have automatic updater disabled.<br />

<br />

I do appreciate you trying to help out! :)<br />

<br />

John G.

Windows XP/7 > J River MC 20 > Wire World Platinum Starlight USB cable > Peachtree Audio Grand-Pre dac > Straight Wire Crescendo IC's > Odd Watt Audio Odd Block tube amps > custom speaker cables > Galt Audio 2.5 speakers > 15" Aura Sound subwoofer in Ported Reflex Enclosure/1000watt amp

I thought I was in a time warp, at the beginning of (any) DSF or DFF file a loud thump from speakers as if a stylus was dropped on a record...from a digital system.<br />

<br />

Tried two DACs, SPDIF interface, fiddled with buffers for about an hour, followed most if not all the screen shots here, still the thumps remained. Added delays for hardware up to 3s, still thumping, I thought Pure music was bad, JRMC goes 3db louder! Even tried another PC, same deal.<br />

<br />

JRMC plays FLAC OK, but not DSD/Dff, this is a show stopper, playing terminated. <br />

<br />

Fired up the Mac, played Audirvana +, no thumps, just seamless DSD music.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Tried two DACs, SPDIF interface, fiddled with buffers for about an hour, followed most if not all the screen shots here, still the thumps remained. Added delays for hardware up to 3s, still thumping, I thought Pure music was bad, JRMC goes 3db louder! Even tried another PC, same deal.<br />

________________________________________________________________________<br />

<br />

From J River Wiki:<br />

<br />

By default, JRMC coverts DSD to PCM unless DSD bitsreaming options are set specifically.<br />

<br />

Playback<br />

<br />

By default, DSD will be converted to PCM for playback.<br />

<br />

The DSD to PCM conversion process converts from 1-bit DSD to 64-bit PCM at 1/8th of the sample rate. The total amount of data from this conversion grows by 8x, so the process is effectively lossless / perfect.<br />

<br />

Once you have PCM, it will be 64bit @ 352.8 kHz for DSD, and 64bit @ 705.6 kHz for DSD 2x.<br />

<br />

It is rare for hardware to support these high sample rates, so downsampling is required. The option 'Greater than 192kHz' in DSP Studio > Output Format is what is used. There is no way to configure DSD 1x and DSD 2x independently.<br />

<br />

A low pass filter at 30 kHz with a 24 dB/octave slope is used to remove the (basically) pink noise present in the upper frequency with DSD. <br />

________________________________________________________________________<br />

<br />

Enabling DSD bitstreaming<br />

<br />

To enable DSD bitstreaming, use Options > Video > Bitstreaming > Custom... and check:<br />

<br />

DSD for ASIO 2.2 (requires ASIO)<br />

DSD over PCM for DoP (requires WASAPI - Event Style) <br />

<br />

The option is under 'Video' because bitstreaming is traditionally a video option.<br />

<br />

With DoP, you can pick the marker format. New hardware will use DoP 1.0 (0xFA/0x05). Older hardware may use the 0xAA marker format. <br />

<br />

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD_Format

is a DSD capable DAC, the DACs I have aren't, and the EMM DAC emph, should work well, the situation at hand are two devices that are not DSD capable and rely on PCM conversion. <br />

<br />

If JRMC converts DSD64 to PCM, in case the DAC is not DSD capable, the rate is 8 x redbook, which both my Dacs can't decode, so the app will have to resample to 192, or 96 if that was the DAC limit. That would explain the thumps as the conversion kicks in a fair bit of calculation required.<br />

<br />

I see Audirvana does a similar 64bit conversion from DSD to PCM, and there are no thumps, conversion is limited to 176 or 384 if the DAC could decode as a limit when the proxy files are created, my guess. So really, you're playing a 176 PCM file out of the starting blocks, the effect of changing sampling rates on the fly is not applicable.<br />

This is when using iTunes integrated mode.<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The conversion wouldn't cause a thump, but changing the sample rate might cause a DAC to do it. I've had something similar happen with a receiver when it switched to 192Kbps. <br />

<br />

Here's a thread at AVSForum on a sound dropout problem with several receivers:<br />

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1402426<br />

<br />

They may be playing silence to mask a sound problem.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

• 2 months later...

Hello friends.

This is my first post here, hope you understand me, my English is not good.

I use MC17 and I am very happy with the sound an everything.

I've been triying to convert a FLAC file (music) in 88/24 to a FLAC 44.1/16 but every time I try to do that it doesn't work.

The reason I want to do that is because I would like to transfer that files to my DAC (Cowon J3)

The J3 just can play FLAC 44.1/16 not 88/24.

How can I do that?

Thank you

P.D. I would like to change my nick Pokersoun to Pokersound too.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just downloaded J River as I was experiencing problems with Media Monkey using any kernel streaming output plug-in.

J River appears to have solved the problem. Can anyone please advise whether the "analyse audio" and "volume levelling" features are recommended and whethor or not they have a positive and negative impact on sound quality.

I note in the wiki that the audio analysis may add tags to the file. Would this only be for MP3 format?

Has anyone else compared the sound quality of JR with MM using WASAPI and if so is ther any audible difference?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Not sure if COMMENTS get responses since I do not see a "SUBSCRIBE" option but I have a question. Trying to get VIDEO to again show on the tree. Went back into TOOLS > OPTIONS > GENERAL > FEATURES and clicked on VIDEO SUPPORT to show the checkmark, then OK, and restarted JRMC but VIDEO does not show in tree. Even rebooted PC but still not in tree.

Not sure what else needs to be done!?