IGNORED

Article: Introducing New CA Contributor Kathy Geisler

Kathy,<br />

<br />

I'm looking forward to your contributions from a producers perspective. Now, to get the ball rolling, what is your position on USB cables? ;) <br />

<br />

Seriously, welcome aboard. <br />

<br />

Greg

\'08 MacMini/OS X 10.7/4G/160G SSD - iomega 1TB - Pure Music 1.82 /Amarra 2.3.1 - Weiss DAC202 - Kimber Select KS1120 XLR 1M - Bel Canto REF1000 MKII - Audience AU24 2.5M - Magnepan 1.7[br]\'08 iMac 24\"/4G/500G - Sony CRU_840A - G_Drive 2TB - DroboFS 3TB - Pure Vinyl 3.0 - Metric Halo LI0 8/4 - VPI Classic - Van den Hul Frog - S300iu - Kimber 8TC - KEF Ref 201/2

I had the Wolf Tracks sitting on my CD storage shelves for weeks before I finally played it. I enjoyed it immensely and feel that it should be required listening in all public and private grade schools. The fact that I have been in love with Sophia Loren for decades and Clinton and Gorbachev are some of my favorite and respected world leaders is just icing on the cake. I envy your opportunities and success. Congratulations on a job well done and thanks for sharing your time here.

it would be very interesting to read an opinion from another perspective on the CD / hi-res debate that has featured here strongly in the last few days.<br />

If (or when) we see the demise of CDs in favour of hi-res downloads are we likely to see a major contraction in the repertoire (classical and jazz in particular) available to music lovers in the future?<br />

Personally I very much doubt that all the sterling work done by small labels in bringing lesser-known works / recordings to market on CD will be replicated with downloads, but I may be wrong.<br />

<br />

David

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

Congrats to Kathy. Can't wait to read your posts.<br />

<br />

And congrats to Chris, for reaching a milestone with your endeavor, and for realizing when it's time to open up the gates to allow further growth.

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

A very warm welcome, Kathy.<br />

<br />

Did you ever run into a piano instructor at Juillard named Beattie Allen? The Allens were neighbors of ours when I was a teenager (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth), so that may have been before your time.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

for getting your small business to the point where you can expand by adding great people.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

Welcome to the forum Kathy. Along with others, I look forward to your contributions and views.

Neil M.

CA System 2013 i7 Mac Mini, JRiver, AQ Cinnamon, MF V Link 192, Teradak PS, DACiT, W4S STI 1000, Linn Ninka's

Main System (Analogue) LP12, Ittock, Klyde, Lingo 2, Kairn, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

Main System (Digital) CEC TL51, dCS Elgar, dCS Purcell, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

Thank you. I only know about bats from Eastern Europe that were imported to the US by early 20th century founders of the Chautauqua Institute in upstate NY. They were seen as the solution to controlling the mosquito population. They continue to do a remarkable job over one hundred years later. Yay for bats!<br />

<br />

kathy

Dear Sanjay,<br />

<br />

Thank you for the kind note. <br />

<br />

I appreciate that there are so many here who are devoted to the idea of quality of sound. I am trained as an oboist and was very involved for many years in the development of sound by making my own reeds. Nature meets art with a whole lot of science thrown in. That is sound, any way you slice it. <br />

<br />

Thank you again,<br />

<br />

Kathy<br />

<br />

Dear Coot,<br />

<br />

Thank you for your note. I'm wondering if someone who considers themselves to be so very classically oriented becomes an acoustic purist, and then has to live with that fact while listening through electronic devices. <br />

<br />

The fact is that it is an extremely rare phenomenon to be able to hear acoustic music in a perfect acoustic, and then to have that experience without a lot of extraneous sound. It is rare unless you are an audience of one, but then you don't get to enjoy the energy shared by the many. <br />

<br />

And just to turn it around a little, when I have worked with many artists in the studio recording environment, it can be unnerving for them to work in the stark quiet of that, without the presence of an audience. It was not unusual that we would invite a small group in to fill some of that void and warm things up.<br />

<br />

More on this later.<br />

<br />

Thank you again,<br />

<br />

Kathy

Kathy:<br />

<br />

You need to attend a concert at the renovated Alice Tully Hall, remember just down the block from Juilliard. They did an amazing job of sound isolation, no subway noise at all (as opposed to Zankel) and pretty close to perfect HACV bdamping. Its a bit antiseptic but amazingly clear and precise.