IGNORED

Article: CA Bits & Bytes Volume 3: 2012 CES, Upcoming Reviews

I am "hopefully optimistic", but surely this diverts from what they have done and made them so successful in the past.<br />

<br />

I understand what you are saying about UPnP and as I have said in prior posts, that is not my beef. My beef is that it appears, they have NOT addressed the shortcomings of their USB architecture, a much more important facet of a ARC REF Dac than adding a bunch of gadgets, such as an iPhone port, a usb stick port, a display and for that matter UPnP capabilities. <br />

<br />

I can tell you that as a "typical" ARC customer, I buy ARC because usually, when you buy their stuff, SQ is first priority and most of their stuff is upgrade-able to a degree, such as my REF 5, which, is not being replaced, but upgraded for a small fee.<br />

<br />

Of course I will wait, but from what I see, which by their own words, it sounds like DAC 8 USB architecture, I am not thrilled by the direction. <br />

<br />

The approach they are taking,

Sorry either in not getting your point or you're not getting mine...<br />

<br />

Perhaps ARC feel that bypassing USB completely and using UPnP *IS* the way to improve SQ. Perhaps they feel, as some other manufacturers do, that USB is a flawed interface for audio - certainly it doesn't live up to the expectation of platform I dependence (note the improvements seen with SotM cards) and cable independence. <br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

their strategy, but I highly doubt it.<br />

<br />

I have been an ARC customer for years, and if what you are saying is correct (maybe you are right) I would highly doubt they would release a REF product as a so called watershed product. But maybe you are right and I remain open to see what it ultimately turns out to be. However, again, if they are releasing a REF product, I would still expect them to address the limitations of their USB input and it doesn't seem that any of their inputs (including UPnP) is addressing 32/384 or DSD streaming.<br />

<br />

It does look like they are trying to be all things to all people, which is atypical for ARC. <br />

<br />

It also seems like they are almost copying PS Audio's new MKII DAC and adding a tube analogue output.