IGNORED

Article: CA Bits & Bytes Volume 3: 2012 CES, Upcoming Reviews

A prototype is displayed- lit up but not connected. Very nice and as you expected, it does a lot. They're calling it a digital media bridge. Price will be between $14-$15,000 I believe that they said with availability in Q1-Q2, perhaps as early as February. The size is same as other REF chassis.<br />

<br />

DAC portion based on DAC 8 with same drivers. Analog section is all tube based on Ref5SE. The unit is not a preamp but does have a combination of analog and digital attenuation ( avoids loss of critical bits). <br />

<br />

Will accept pretty much everything digital- streaming DNLA/ UPnP, etc via RJ45 ( the person I spoke with did not know what the control app, etc. would be), USB2HS, AES, SPDIF, etc..it has a dedicated USB-type "iPod" port as well as a front panel USB port, presumably for USB sticks. Ability to up sample to 176.4 or 192. Wireless Ethernet built in, Internet radio, RS232 control<br />

<br />

Supposedly, the 3.5" TFT front panel will display some metadata from certain sources. The tube analog section should be awesome but I guess that I'm maybe a bit disappointed that there does not seem to be any major updates to the digital section over the DAC8 (although that is very good except for maybe the possible Mac driver issue that people report).<br />

<br />

It certainly is very interesting and I'd very much suggest that Chris put this on his list to see and report on.

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)