IGNORED

Article: CA Bits & Bytes Volume 3: 2012 CES, Upcoming Reviews

Chris... Maybe worth getting to Meridian. A new digital pre-amp; DSP speakers and update to Sooloos iPad application. <br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

While the majority of users here don't appreciate UPnP; it does appear to me that in the wider audiophile market streaming does seam as accepted or even more than direct computer links via USB. There does seam to be vastly reduced market for tweaks via USB cables etc. which may be a good thing... Perhaps it's the one-box player vs transport and DAC of the past all over again!<br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Perhaps ARC is exploring the same methods as Linn and Naim have to great effect... The Internet radio and iPod interface come "free" with a lot of such hardware. <br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

<em>As to the Naim and Linn approach that is another matter and ARC is not the type of company that tries to be all things to all people.<br />

<br />

ARC should stick to what they are best at, and while I am hopefully optimistic, I am not that optimistic based on what they showed at CES.</em><br />

Have you thought that perhaps ARC feel they can get the best results this way...<br />

<br />

My comments about Naim and Linn were just to demonstrate that UPnP is a valid option. Until you actually hear the ARC Ref DAC you really can't comment!!<br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

Sorry either in not getting your point or you're not getting mine...<br />

<br />

Perhaps ARC feel that bypassing USB completely and using UPnP *IS* the way to improve SQ. Perhaps they feel, as some other manufacturers do, that USB is a flawed interface for audio - certainly it doesn't live up to the expectation of platform I dependence (note the improvements seen with SotM cards) and cable independence. <br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---