IGNORED

Article: CA Bits & Bytes Volume 3: 2012 CES, Upcoming Reviews

That's great you keep us up-to-date on what's happening at CA. Someday, I'd like to attend an audio show. It must be a blast. And the Sonata review will be well-worth waiting for I imagine (Carly Simon's Anticipation is playing in my ears).<br />

<br />

thanks,<br />

ron

Chris... Maybe worth getting to Meridian. A new digital pre-amp; DSP speakers and update to Sooloos iPad application. <br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Quoting The Computer Audiophile on Sun, 01/08/2012 - 19:51<br />

"...Who knows maybe C.A.P.S. v3.0 will be kickstarted at CES :~)..."<br />

<br />

I think the ideal C.A.P.S. v3.0 should have ethernet input and analog output.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

Well, then I think the ideal C.A.P.S. v3.0 should have ethernet input, analog output AND a remote control motorized analog volume control.<br />

<br />

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

Chris,<br />

<br />

I think dCS is there showing their DSD over DAC.<br />

<br />

Could you watch out for us and when that update for Debussy will be available?<br />

<br />

Thx

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

Agreed on the dCS dsd request, and I will try to ask about this myself as I think I will attend for a day. Does anyone know where dCS will be on Friday?

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Hi Chris,<br />

<br />

somewhere I thought I heard you were reviewing the TAD C2000 DAC Preamplifier. A very interesting device it seems. Is this coming or did I get it wrong?<br />

<br />

I was told a few months ago that TAD were hoping to release some new products at CES. I'm sure you'll be catching up with these guys so look forward to hearing more.<br />

<br />

thanks<br />

<br />

murray

TAD will show the new C600 pre-amp (only analog inputs) which completes the 600 reference series next to the D600 SACD-player and the M600 mono amps. Retail is expected at something like 35k.<br />

<br />

In addition the new E1 floor standing speaker will be presented with C2000 DAC/pre-amp and M4300 power amp to complete the so-called evolution series. E1 will be around 25k/pair.

IMO the demos are quite misleading because of the significantly higher volume that is achieve with the QOL engaged versus bypassed. Having a bypass in the unit is somewhat gimmicky feature to sell the QOL since the QOL folks cannot demonstrate an instance where the music sounds better through the bypass. I think a more useable feature would have been to have a variable bypass that engages the QOL circuitry from zero to 100%, especially since there are instances or setups where the full QOL effect might seem excessive.<br />

<br />

I believe the volume levels must be identical for a fair comparison. Most people will find the QOL unit to enhance the 3D characteristics of sound. This is almost similar to what one might get with well done reverberation - not that QOL is using reverb but I believe they are altering the phasing and timing through analog circuitry.<br />

<br />

Of course this is just my opinion since I don't own the QOL unit. I am most interested to read your report.

Today. I told them I couldn't get past the 2-3db gain. So Larry put on a compilation cd that was gain matched so we could hear only the phase effects without the added gain (although they claim the gain is not from voltage but from increased music information.). With the cd demo the QOL process sounded pretty good in my short demo! With the most effects being better dynamics at low volumes. I will go back tmrw or Thursday to hear it in a better more relaxed environment (whipped and still jet lagged today).

Hi Ted,<br />

Glad that a veteran such as yourself endorses my enthusiasm for the products, especially the speakers. Not only the sound, the build quality of the products is very high. Mr Meletsky is a nice person. Hope he is able to spare the time talking to you at length. Please ask him to use the Jazz at the Pawnshop track as demo and you will be able to hear the realism capability of the setup.

Went to the company site. Basically no explanation of anything their stuff actually does:<br />

<br />

"bsg technologies has developed a method of retrieving sonic information from audio signals that provides a realistic and complete rendering of the original acoustic event"<br />

<br />

Robert Harley wrote a review. http://www.bsgt.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/tas_feb2012_review.pdf /<br />

<br />

Very enthusiastic, he's added it to his system. Some explanation of what it does. But he also says he doesn't understand how the product works.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I assume that a good part of the QOL involves one or two transformers, capacitors and bypass capacitors in some kind of circuitry to alter and recombine the audio signals.<br />

<br />

It sounds great and as anyone who has played around with different transformers and capacitors knows the significant differences these things can make.<br />

<br />

About the only thing that I dislike about the QOL is the gimmicky bypass feature whose primary purpose is a sales tool. What would be more useful for any consumer would be a variable bypass that engages the QOL circuitry from zero to 100%, especially since there are instances or setups where the full QOL effect might seem excessive. Perhaps someone attending the show could ask the QOL folks to consider a more useable consumer feature that would still be capable of demonstrating the dramatic difference when the QOL circuitry is dialed down to zero.