IGNORED

jitter sensitivity of DAC on digital input signal

This subject may be of exact science which I do not understand in detail so maybe I am asking something stupid here ...

If I understand correct the bits coming out of a source will have some jitter depending on the internal clock of this source.

The receiving end - the DAC - has to deal with this jitter.

Is the design of de DAC of influence in what way this jitter is absorbed (corrected?) before going in the DA stage ?

Is there something like a "tight" timing of de DAC clock which will make the lost bits worse of is something else worsening - or improving ?? - the "hit rate" of the incoming bits ?

Thanks

Oystein

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

There are no lost bits. Jitter is the timing inaccuracy of the transfer of the bits from the source device to the D/A converter. Each bit is transferred at a particular time. The time intervals between the time that one bit is transferred and the next is transferred should be precise. When these intervals vary, this is jitter.

DAC's have several ways of reducing jitter. One of these is Asynchronous upsampling or resampling. Another is jitter rejection of the S/PDIf to I2S converter or "receiver" chip.

None of these totally eliminates jitter. This is not possible.

To reduce jitter to inaudible levels in a resolving system, it usually requires a really low-jitter clock in a reclocker. Sometimes this reclocker can be located inside the DAC, but very rare and expensive.

More to read:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/ca_intro.htm

Steve N.

Empirical Audio