IGNORED

Article: Analyzed: John Hiatt's Dirty Jeans and Mudslide Hymns at 24 bit / 96 kHz

• 3 weeks later...

Akasakadude: "Which brings me to a question -- has anyone put Radiohead's King of Limbs 24/96 wav file version sold on 7digital through the frequency spectrum lie detector? I'd love to know before I buy it."<br />

<br />

Not aware of 7digital, US or UK, selling a 24/96 wav file version of TKOL?<br />

<br />

7digital has a 24bit 'Deluxe Flac' version, but there's no mention of 96kHz.<br />

<br />

I downloaded 7digital's 'Deluxe Flac', and iTunes Get Info/Summary confirms all tracks are 24bit/44.1kHz.<br />

<br />

Then again, my iTunes Get Info/Summary also states that HDtracks 'Frampton Comes Alive' is 96kHz...

My bad -- I saw "24bit" and assumed 24bit/96kHz... Silly to imagine they would sell you a full fat version of anything. Still, step in the right direction assuming they use all 24 bits for data and haven't just added a load of zeros to the top of the word. How do we lie-detect that?<br />

<br />

At some point when I'm not looking after 2 kids under 2 and have time to think again I'll start a new topic on the subject of the psychology of audiophiles and the ability of many of us to fool ourselves into believing we are able to fully justify and appreciate the 1,000s of quid/dollars worth of kit we buy. I also fish when I have time and I'm well aware that really expensive rods aren't made to catch fish, they are made to catch fishermen...<br />

<br />

Cheers<br />

<br />

Jens<br />

<br />

--<br />

Tons of kit, ancient and modern but I do most of my listening on an iPod touch with apple lossless files through Shure Se530 plugs. Can't have linn ninkas stood around waiting to fall on top of toddlers now can we?

Is <i>TKOL</i> a genuine 24bit? I'm not 100% certain of my analysis skills, because Audacity is a new toy to me.<br />

<br />

For example, according to Audacity my Redbook ALAC rip of Elbow's <i>Build A Rocket Boys!</i> is a "16-bit PCM", whereas <i>TKOL</i> is a "32-bit float". <br />

<br />

Umm...??