IGNORED

Article: Logitech Squeezebox Touch Review

Wonderful review Chris. I have a question though- does it support internet radio listening? I am currently subscribed to Sky.fm Premium internet radio and would like to stream that through the Touch to my dac.<br />

<br />

Thank you, Peter

Onkyo ND-S1 ?Reference 5 DSP/CA DacMagic ? SPL Auditor/LD MK IV SE ? balanced KRK RP10s/5[br]Cans: AKG K272 HD, Sennheiser HD555(Cardas), HD600(Cardas), ATH-M50

Hi .Sup - Thanks for the kind words. I just played some Sky.FM music via the Touch. There is also an app to that can be installed, by browsing the app menu on the Touch, that's called Sky.FM. I installed the app as well. There is a place to enter account information, but since I don't have one I can't tell you what it does.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

So there is hope! Fantastic, I will search for this app and try to learn more about it. Thank you very much! If I do decide to get the Touch I will be sure to post my impressions about it and the app here.

Onkyo ND-S1 ?Reference 5 DSP/CA DacMagic ? SPL Auditor/LD MK IV SE ? balanced KRK RP10s/5[br]Cans: AKG K272 HD, Sennheiser HD555(Cardas), HD600(Cardas), ATH-M50

In some very basic words a linear power supply does have a mains transformer, an rectifier, some charging capacitor and a voltage regulator. So you have basically to deal only the some mains frequency to filter out and that can be done relative easy. A linear power supply can't be used over a larger mains voltage range like 100 V – 240 Volt, it must be bought to a specific mains voltage like 115 or 230, or must have a selector / switch to change from 115 to 230 or back.<br />

<br />

A switched power supply basically transforms (switches) the mains frequency into higher frequency region (depends on the products how far outside audio bandwidth, and also the method to do this), in order to have higher efficiency and so smaller size and weight. But this higher frequencies are much more difficult to filter out, so typically you get more noise on the power supply. They do work normally over a wide mains voltage range from 100 to 240 volt.<br />

<br />

There are huge differences in the quality in both technologies of power supplies and you must be aware, that a good linear power supply will cost you similar or more than the Squeezebox itself.<br />

<br />

This one is relative reasonable, but no idea about the quality:<br />

<br />

http://www.welbornelabs.com/squeeze.htm<br />

<br />

A friend of mine has this one and is happy with it:<br />

<br />

http://www.teddypardo.com/products/Powersupplies/TTouch.html<br />

<br />

A very good reputation has this one:<br />

<br />

http://www.paulhynesdesign.com/page7.html<br />

<br />

I have my own linear power supplies, so I personally can't give you any personal advices.<br />

<br />

Juergen

I have this: http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/-strse-395/%22Standard%22-Linear-Power-Supply/Detail<br />

<br />

Apart from its ugly looks, it really works wonders. In every system I've heard it, it has made a very clear difference, using the digital out and an external DAC. I haven't experimented with the analog out.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Thanks for the explanation and links - however, I indeed ask myself about the sense of a power supply more expensive than the SBT itself. Would be interesting of course to hear before buying. Maybe I'll check if those are available here in good ole Germany.<br />

<br />

Best regards,<br />

Father12

Father12, I can understand your reservations. However, I've heard my Bolder power supply making the difference between acceptable and not acceptable sound. It's been a while since I compared in my own system, but I recently heard it with a Mcintosh MCD500, which was fed the digital signal from a SB Duet. The sound went from harsh and digital to acceptable by switching to the Bolder supply.<br />

<br />

However, there are alternatives today that are better than they were when I bought my Duet a couple of years ago. Specifically, I'm very hesitant to spend too much money on a PSU for the SB Touch. Given its 96 kHz limitation, this device will also only be an interim solution. I'm considering the Olive HD, which should have a decent power supply, I'm told.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

The Transporter has a better circuit, with better power handling (two separate toroidal mini-transformers) and I think better regulation, also it has a better DAC , has balanced outputs, has word clock in and out, can be used with in an effects loop (for instance with a sound processor for equalization). <br />

So, the analog quality should be better, not speaking about the extra options not found on the Touch. Only as a digital transport, it still should be a little bit better. Now ,how much better, that is another story. I bought the Touch to use it as a digital transport, but that was also because I had a Weiss DAC2 with firewire input, and the extra cash for the Transporter to use it only as a digital out seemed too much. But still, Transporter is the better player or transport.<br />

<br />

Adrian

2010 Top 8 DVD/Video/iPad/iPod/iPhone Software for Windows Users<br />

<br />

<b>Top Seven Rveiws</b> is a group of software fans, enjoy using and testing many software products. There are huge amount of shareware. The mission of Top Seven Rviews is to provide unbiased reviews and comparisons of seven makes or brands of a given product to provide customers with sufficient information to determine what is the best make, brand or model of that product for them.<br />

<br />

<a href="http://www.topsevenreviews.com/"> Top Seven Reviews</a> selects some popular software products, provides the most comprehensive lists of reviewed products for its subjects. Different products require different testing approaches.<br />

Products such as Video Converter are tested by downloading them and trying them out ourselves.<br />

With respect to support, we try each supplier's e-mail support (very few suppliers have phone support or chat lines), and see how long it takes on a weekday to get a response, and if the response actually helps us resolve the problem.<br />

Each reviewed product has detail introduction and feature analysis. A comparison chart is presented to help visitors easily understand and choose the right software.<br />

While we generally reveive a commission on sales, our recommendations are not based on commissions paid , but rather on the quality of the product.<br />

<br />

Recently, <b>Top Seven Rveiws</b> provides us 2010 Top 7 DVD/Video/iPad/iPod/iPhone Software.<br />

<br />

<b>Top 1: <a href="http://www.topsevenreviews.com/aiseesoft-blu-ray-ripper.html"> Blu Ray Ripper</a></b><br />

Aiseesoft Blu Ray Ripper is the best blu-ray ripping software and easy-to-use Blu-ray Ripper/Converter program. It helps you to rip Blu ray Disc/m2ts video and common DVD disc to any other video/audio formats such as rip Blu ray to AVI, WMV, MP4, MKV, FLV…even HD video including HD AVI, HD XviD/DivX, HD MP4, MOV, HD WMV files with unmatchable ripping-converting speed while preserving excellent quality. You can also extract audio and convert into MP3, AAC, M4A and so on.<br />

<br />

<b>Top 2: <a href="http://www.topsevenreviews.com/aiseesoft-dvd-ripper.html"> Best DVD Ripper</a></b><br />

Aiseesoft DVD Ripper is one of the Best DVD Ripper software, that could easily rip DVD to MP4, H.264, AVI, MP3, WMV, WMA, FLV, MKV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, 3GP, 3GPP, VOB, DivX, Mov, RM, RMVB, M4A, AAC, WAV, etc. with super fast DVD ripping speed and excellent image and sound quality.<br />

<br />

<b>Top 3: <a href="http://www.topsevenreviews.com/daniusoft-digital-media-converter.html"> Media Converter</a></b><br />

Daniusoft Digital Media Converter is a powerful DRM Remover that can Remove DRM WMA, Remove DRM MP3, Remove DRM WMV, etc. This all-in-one DRM Remover allows you to remove DRM protection in a fast and professional way. With this great DRM Remover, you can easily remove DRM and copy the converted files to many players such as iPod, PSP, Zune, Creative Zen, Archos, etc.<br />

<br />

<b>Top 4: <a href="http://www.topsevenreviews.com/aiseesoft-total-video-converter.html"> Total Video Converter</a></b><br />

Aiseesoft Total Video Converter is the Best Video Converter software that created to help you convert video to MP4/MKV/WMV/AVI and other popular formats such as: MP4, H.264, AVI, MP3, WMV, WMA, FLV, MKV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, 3GP, 3GPP, VOB, DivX, Mov, RM, RMVB, M4A, AAC, WAV, etc with high speed and excellent sound/image quality. In addition, the Best Video Converter can also extract audio from video file and convert them to M4A, MP3, AC3, AAC, WMA, WAV, OGG as you want.<br />

<br />

<b>Top 5: <a href="http://www.topsevenreviews.com/cucusoft-dvd-to-ipod-converter.html"> DVD to iPod Converter</a></b><br />

Cucusoft DVD to iPod Converter is the easiest-to-use and fastest DVD to iPod converter software for Apple iPod Movie and iPod Video. It can convert almost all kinds of DVD to iPod Movie / iPod Video format. It is also a powerful DVD to iPod converter due to the conversion speed is far faster than real-time.<br />

You will enjoy your favorite DVDs on your iPod as a portable DVD Player. Now you can get this DVD to iPod Converter at a very competitive price! <br />

<br />

<b>Top 6: <a href="http://www.topsevenreviews.com/aiseesoft-mts-converter.html"> MTS Converter</a></b><br />

Aiseesoft MTS Converter, versatile MTS Video Converter to convert M2TS, TS, MTS to AVI, WMV, MP4, 3GP, 3G2, MOV, FLV, MKV, SWF, MPG, etc. This MTS Converter not only owns powerful encoder technology, but also powerful decoder technology, like converting MPG, MPEG, VOB, DAT, MP4, M4V, RM, RMVB, WMV, ASF, MKV, AVI, 3GP, FLV, SWF, MPV, MOD, TOD, QT, MOV, DV, and other HD video to what you want formats. <br />

<br />

<b>Top 7: <a href="http://www.topsevenreviews.com/tipard-ipod-transfer-pro.html"> iPod Transfer</a></b><br />

Tipard iPod Transfer Pro is the leading iPod Transfer application. It's easy to transfer music, videos and photos from PC to iPod, backup files from iPod to computer and convert DVD/video/audio to iPod, make iPhone ringtone. This iPod to Computer Transfer fills in a missing feature of iTunes. All video and audio formats compatible with iPod can be transferred by this iPod backup software including MP4, M4V, MP3, WMV. With friendly interface, all transfer is easy to operate and can be finished instantly.<br />

<br />

<b>Top 8: <a href="http://www.topsevenreviews.com/tipard-iphone-ringtone-maker.html"> iPhone Ringtone Maker</a></b><br />

As a versatile iPhone Ringtone Converter, Tipard iPhone Ringtone Maker provides an all-in-one solution to make ringtone for iPhone with your loved music. This iPhone Ringtone Maker converts almost all mainstream video / audio formats including MPEG, WMV, MP4, XviD, MOV, RM, AAC, WMA, MP3 to iPhone ringtone M4R to create iPhone Ringtone.Then transfer converted ringtones to iPhone directly without iTunes.<br />

<br />

There is quite a bit of discussion on this at the Slimdevices forum. Especially from the SB beta-testers, who have a lot of experience with both the Touch and Transporter.<br />

<br />

Summation of what they say:<br />

<br />

Transporter sounds better through analogue outs: as digital transport only, the Touch is very close to the Transporter. The consensus there seemed to be that if you planned on using your SB unit as a digital transport only, and already have a good external DAC, not much reason to buy the Transporter over the Touch.<br />

<br />

BTW, lots of users on other forums report improved analogue sound from the Touch by upgrading PS. Some also claim improved sound from the digital outs with better PS.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I copied the complete iTunes folder on an USB drive connected to the SBT. Unfortunately SBT server seems not to recognize the playlists. Strangely enough - when I choose the server software on my Mac in order to stream the music from the computer, the playlists are in. You just tick iTunes somewhere in the options and there you go.<br />

Do you have similar problem or does somebody know, if the server software on the SBT itself is able to cope with iTunes data? Would be perfect of course, as you don't have to define your playlists from scratch...<br />

<br />

Thanks for your help!<br />

<br />

Father12

Father,<br />

<br />

A linked list of files includes the source drive. Anytime anything in the link is changed, then the link is broken... including moving the songs to another drive.<br />

<br />

Also playlists are not included in the music file system. They are located in a different folder.<br />

<br />

Thanks<br />

Gordon

I talked to the german hotline and the guy there told me it should work. But not being a native speaker, I'm not really sure if he got the point. <br />

<br />

Gordon, you're talking of absolute links, but I think it would not be a problem to have relative links if it is programmed like that. Within the iTunes folder there are 4 "iTunes-specific" files and I think that the playlists are fixed there - in one of these 4 files.<br />

<br />

I'll keep on asking around to see if I can find out more. <br />

<br />

Cheerio,<br />

Father12

My experience with the Touch and a USBdisc is not a positive story.<br />

Disconnecting and connecting the disc is a nuissance. The Touch will refuse attach the disc and e.g. tell me it could not connect to the wifi? <br />

I can not recommend the Touch with a USBdisc. Sadly I thought this combination would suit me and is why I bought it.<br />

<br />

There is of course a possibility that the Touch does not like my Verbatimdisc but it really seems as the firmware is lousy.<br />

<br />

.. and the bits just keep on comin´./MacMini/iTunes/Spotify/E-DAC(ODAC)/SB Touch (for Internet radio only)/Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite/ Amphion Argon1

The idea is to let the USB disc connected and not to plug it on and off all the time. It tried 3 discs and only the 3rd was recognized (WD Elements 250 GB). This one runs pretty much flawless since then. There's btw no need to unplug it once it's connected as you can store new files then via the network.<br />

I attached a second one via WLAN yesterday - took me 5 minutes and that was it.<br />

<br />

So in total I see only 2 issues with my setup: no playlists from iTunes so far and jumping to next song before it's finished from time to time.<br />

<br />

Cheerio, Father12

No one would be happier than I if I could leave the USB-disc attached to the Touch all the time.<br />

Have not been able to reach it through my network even if the Touch gladly connects to various internetradio stations. (I really like that)<br />

Time to call in the network technician I guess to get some relief. <br />

<br />

Thanks for your answer Father12<br />

.. and the bits just keep on comin´./MacMini/iTunes/Spotify/E-DAC(ODAC)/SB Touch (for Internet radio only)/Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite/ Amphion Argon1