IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server - C.A.P.S.

Sorry it is the onboard graphics gpu for Jetway mentioned upthread.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

• 2 weeks later...

At first a big thank you to The Computer Audiophile for writing this article, it's an excellent clue for everyone aiming to start a similar project (like me)!<br />

<br />

Now my question: I wonder if the Atom N270 on the D945GSEJT mainboard is able to run bit-perfect realtime (I'm going to use Linux) audio AND an of course simple GUI without problems? Since the OS for the C.A.P.S. is Windows 7 I assume there is a GUI..<br />

<br />

Did anyone using an Atom N270 or a D945GSEJT ever have performance problems? How are you using your N270 based PCs (Server without GUI, Win7 with aero, etc)? I'm a little bit suspicious towards these little Atom CPUs since I always used "big" CPUs. ;)

Windows 7 Notebook :( -> Echo AudioFire 2 -> WooAudio 6 -> AKG K701

I am not sure I understand the question (Linux basis) <br />

<br />

but for me<br />

<br />

I have had Zero, nada, nichts problems, using it 1-2 hours/nite 3-4 days/week<br />

<br />

No <br />

hesitation or lags<br />

dropouts<br />

hiccoughs<br />

shutdowns<br />

freakouts<br />

etc<br />

<br />

I am using Windows 7-32(can't use 64)<br />

-MediaMonkey<br />

-VNC server (controlled by remote laptop)<br />

-multiple NAS drives that have proprietary software on the CAPS device<br />

-computer left on 24/7, looged into when I listen <br />

<br />

The only thing that does not work, which I suspect is configuration but was not worth trying to figure out is WINDOWS REMOTEDESKTOP will let me scroll through my music library (on the CAPS server) but the music "grays out" in MediaMonkey and will not play which is supposed to mean it is not available<br />

<br />

AND<br />

<br />

MAC REMOTEDESKTOP has bizarre colors, funny screen stuff. I don't remember if it worked otherwise but is a non issue as the VNC works so well and is free.

I'm sorry if my English is not that good. ;) I just added the information that I will use Linux because I mentioned realtime and afaik there is no realtime support in Windows. So my question has actually nothing to do with Linux.<br />

<br />

Anyway, you got it all right, appearance/absence of CPU performance caused troubles are exactly what I wanted to know about, because I can't quite believe that this tiny netbook-CPU is powerful enough for a professional audio desktop-PC.<br />

Only thing I still didn't understand: do you (and everyone using a N270 based CAPS) have I/O devices directly on your CAPS or do you only access it through remote desktop?

Your English is perfect<br />

<br />

I only use VNC (or Remotedesktop if it worked).<br />

<br />

My goal from day 1 was to try and replicate the listen to an album experience while looking/touching the vinyl/CD cover so I could<br />

<br />

Look at art work<br />

Look at lyrics if available<br />

Look at personnel on album if available<br />

See entire album list of songs<br />

etc.<br />

<br />

Walking over to the PC would not allow me to easily do that and would be a gigantic hassle if I wanted to "move around" the library. <br />

<br />

I have found the ability to jump around my music library to be the most spectacular thing about PC audio. It is very interesting to see other artist's interpretation of the same song or other songs by same artist..<br />

<br />

Since my "music only" room is really what others call a living room, I did not want the monitor present and visible all the time. Hence the remote laptop/Ipad (maybe)seems to be the best solution to me as I just close up the laptop when done.<br />

<br />

<br />

Just my 2c.

I have that MB and after using it quite a bit with a Linux based OS I think it's great. I run Vortexbox Linux (free distribution from vortexbox.org) with mpd and I can watch the cpu in real time while it's playing 24/192 wav files and it does not even tickle the cpu. Having said that be warned MPD can upsample and that MB does not seem to want to handle it. Who cares though it would not be bit perfect that way:)<br />

<br />

I also have had low power embedded single core VIA MBs (now retired) with Windows 7 that ran fine for music playback with various players. I would not run the mouse around during playback and I would wait for the software to finishing monitoring the drives then listen to music.<br />

<br />

Jesus R<br />

www.sonore.us

Sorry for bothering you again but I just noticed, that you don't seem to use any effects processed in realtime (equalizer, etc), which is probably to preserve bit perfect playback. Unfortunately I expect that I will have to use an equalizer since my K701 headphones produce very little bass.<br />

<br />

Afaik effect-processing is completely done by the CPU, so this would be a huge increase of CPU load and I'm wondering if the Atom N270 is powerful enough to calculate that. Any experiences? Or could someone maybe try it?<br />

<br />

Thanks in advance!<br />

<br />

EDIT: Additional question to the linux user(s): Does anyone of you happen to use JACK on this CPU, or know if it works without dropouts, etc?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi... Great project and a remarkable how-to.<br />

Since I intend to start slowly (and keep money for an external DAC, probably the Moon 300D), I intend to try the Xonar Essence PCI and I was looking for cheaper cases hosting the Intel motherboard you recommend.<br />

Doing a quick search on E-Bay, I saw a lot of listings pairing the Intel Bobo and a Morex T1610 case like this one: <br />

http://www.morex.com.tw/products/productdetail.php?fd_id=123<br />

<br />

I find it very interesting, especially since it can sit in a LCD screen mount.<br />

<br />

Does anybody has experience or recommendations regarding this case?<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Yes, there are lots of cheeper cases around, however you'll need one which supports a PCI slot (and preferably full height PCI) if you want to add a card such as the Xonar. <br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 weeks later...

<cite>..."Other notable features of the Intel D945GSEJT include on-board S/PDIF digital audio output headers. Header is another term for pins on the motherboard to which one can connect devices. This output supports 16/44.1, 24/48, and 24/96 sample rates. A special cable is required <a href="http://images.computeraudiophile.com/graphics/2010/0208/IMG_0078.JPG">(Photo 1)</a> <a href="http://images.computeraudiophile.com/graphics/2010/0208/IMG_0080.JPG">(Photo 2)</a> to use this S/PDIF output as there are no built-in S/PDIF ports."</cite> <br />

<br />

Chris,<br />

Where did you get this S/PDIF connector?

Jeff

Main system: MPaD -> Fanless VortexBox -> Emotiva XDA-1 -> Adcom GFA-555II -> Working on the rest

Desktop System: J.River Media Jukebox -> WIN7 -> HRT Music Streamer II -> Virtue Audio One.2 -> DIY Martello speakers

Your right. It was very hard to find. But, after an extensive search, I found one at frontx.com. <br />

Here's the link in case anybody else ever needs one:<br />

<a href="http://www.frontx.com/pro/p1062_030.html"> <br />

RCA VIDEO / SPDIF - PANEL F TO 1X3 F</a>

Jeff

Main system: MPaD -> Fanless VortexBox -> Emotiva XDA-1 -> Adcom GFA-555II -> Working on the rest

Desktop System: J.River Media Jukebox -> WIN7 -> HRT Music Streamer II -> Virtue Audio One.2 -> DIY Martello speakers

Hi Chris,<br />

<br />

First let me thank you for all your effort in developing the CAPS and managing this blog. Very well done.<br />

I am considering building the CAPS but before I wanted to know if 6 months later you see any components that could be upgraded from the start? Any similar mothercard with upgraded Intel CPU?<br />

As a first try I also intend to use the ASUS Xonar card instead of the Lynx card. <br />

<br />

Thanks in advance.

I’ve found this extremely interesting.<br />

A very good bit of info here Chris. Thank you very much.<br />

I’m seriously considering trying out something similar having read this and recently listened to a friends server system based around different components feeding an AVI active setup.<br />

Dedicated Mains Cond dis block. Custom Linux Voyage MPD server. HRT Music Streamer Pro, Linear mains powered ADUM Belkin Gold USB cable. TP Buffalo 11, Custom XLR interconnects/Belkin Silver Series RCA. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp.Van de Hull hybrid air lock speaker cables. Custom 3 way Monitors,Volt 250 bass&ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621Mid & D2905/9300Hi. HD595 cans.[br]2)Quantum Elec based active system self built.

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris,<br />

A great article and great work on the CAPS music server.<br />

When reading about previous music servers, I was very close to trying to put a system together. But, I was deterred by the possibility (even if slim) that some combination of hardware and software might blow out the tweeters on my $20K speakers. That possibility (however slim), made the project a non-starter. My question: HAS THAT PROBLEM BEEN RESOLVED WITH THE CAPS SYSTEM YOU HAVE DESCRIBED?<br />

If so, my second question is: Do you know anyone who would be willing to put the precise system you describe together for me for circa $2000. ($1500 for the parts and circa $500 for the labor and testing.) I have enough experience with computers to know that, even with a supposedly simple system, I am likely to reach an insurmountable obstacle at some point. Finally, can the system be made with a SPDIF digital output cable that will connect to the SPDIF connector on my Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC, which looks like a BNC connector. (It is SPDIF but the connector looks to me like a BNC, rather than a standard RCA connector.) Would the SPDIF connection materially degrade the sound compared to the AES/EBU?<br />

Thanks very much!<br />

Dennis Graves

Hi Dennis - The original blown tweeter issue with WIndows servers and Lynx cards does not occur on the C.A.P.S. server. The original issue only happens with a combination of old software and firmware that will not work with Windows 7. <br />

<br />

I'm wiling to bet any local computer shop will put this server together for you. Just provide a list of components or show them this article and that's all they'll need. <br />

<br />

The system could be made to connect to the Alpha's BNC S/PDIF input. You could use an audio card like the Asus Xonar series that ouputs coaxial S/PDIF. Then just get a RCA to BNC converter to put on the end of the cable and you're good.<br />

<br />

You'll have to judge the sound quality differences if any.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, one further question, please. I am confused about hour recommendation of the Asus Xonar card for an SPDIF digital out. From your article on the CAPS server, I understood that the Asus card would not fit in the motherboard and case of the CAPS server. Am I misinterpreting your article? <br />

Assuming both the Asus and Lynx cards fit the CAPS motherboard and case, are you recommending the Asus Xonar card instead of the Lynx because the Lynx does not output a digital SPDIF signal, or because you like the Asus card better?<br />

Thanks very much!<br />

Dennis<br />

<br />

Hi Dennis - Asus makes a few different Xonar cards. The HDAV Slim 1.3 PCI card fits perfectly in the C.A.P.S. server and offers coaxial S/PDIF output. The Lynx only outputs AES/EBU digital. Your requirements are for coaxial S/PDIF so I recommended the Xonar. If I were you I'd use the AES input on the Alpha DAC and use a Lynx card. That's just me. Or, you could wait for the Berkeley Audio Design USB to S/PDIF product coming this year.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png