IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server - C.A.P.S.

Chris,<br />

<br />

Did you use that backplate from Logic Supply on the M10?<br />

<br />

Also, I'm trying to find out if a PCI-E > PCI 32bit riser/converter will work with my PCI Lynx Card. Finding a right facing PCI-E, standar (non-flexible) has been a chore.<br />

<br />

OrigenAE states the M10 has support for riser cards...does this mean we have to have a backplate to help mount or is there a place to secure the PIC card when in a horizontal position on the M10.<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

thanks<br />

hifi

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

I am using itx as my server as well. I am using atx power supply in pc-q07 itx case. Do you think you can get "better power" from atx power supply (compare with external 12 volt power supply)? I always think the sound from external 12 volt power supply is not as "solid" as atx psu. Since I made a little comparison between my netbook and pc. The sound is better from my pc which use atx psu.<br />

<br />

Another problem is, if I use external 12 volt power supply, it seems I can't use some good power cable (at least it's hard to find). <br />

<br />

Thanks for your great article anyway.

There is a lot of discussion about the PicoPsu (modded) and also the Winmate (Electrodacus on eBay) on Audio Asylum. SPCR did reviews on these PSUs and found them to be equal or better than standard PSUs in terms of efficiency and stability. IIRC, using these lower wattage psu's with fewer amps allows you to mod and introduce linear supplies at cheaper cost.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Thanks hifitubes. I will check those discussion. May be I will try to connect a picopsu to my main pc to see how it sound (instead of using netbook). I always think power plays a real important part of the sound quality, so that's why I just so concern about it.

Great article! I am thinking of building something like this to use with a QB-9 . . .<br />

You write of using WASAPI with JRMC. Isn't WASAPI only relevant when using a sound card?

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

@ iamamdoc: What, if anything, did you change from Chris' recipe? What would you do differently if you did it again? Are you happy with the sonics and features?

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

The device makes no physical noise - the main goal for me<br />

<br />

I got the MitxPC kit with the<br />

<br />

Johnstown Motherboard<br />

80 w power supply (an upgrade probably for no good reason)<br />

M350 case<br />

2 GB RAM<br />

Tested<br />

Assembled<br />

Shipped<br />

<br />

For $230.60 it was a little cheaper than Logic supply if testing is added in<br />

Drive was 160 on sale and with rebate<br />

Windows 7 was 130.00 on sale<br />

<br />

I am using USB DAC<br />

<br />

Putting it together was easy, trivial.<br />

<br />

Everything must be USB or you will need adapters as there are no green/purple ports for mouse or keyboards.<br />

<br />

I used WINDOWS 7 Pro - I jerry rigged a PATA power supply for an old backup harddisk to a DVD drive out of an old computer to make it a USB DVD drive. <br />

<br />

I thought the Windows installer would ask a few questions. When it got to 2 % downloaded I decided to do something else and thought I would come back at a stopping point. When I can back it was done.<br />

<br />

<br />

So far no big problems although I did have to install the USB DAC twice as it disappeared. <br />

<br />

The sound is fine but I don't compare too much. I prefer set it and forget it and let others worry/opine. I have only used MediaMonkey and may or may not try other programs. <br />

<br />

I did not find the M$ remotedesktop to work reliably for me - the VNC's seem much better. Remotedesktop seemed to lock up, caused MediaMonkey to freak, had problems with resolution change, etc. Hence you can probably save a few bucks if you don't get the Professional version.<br />

<br />

I am totally happy with the small cheap computer case as it can be left out or not, hidden or not, etc. It is not pretty or eye candy but is certainly innocuous - not bad.<br />

<br />

My 60 GB has used up 12GB for Windows, MediaMonkey , MediaMonkey library (library is of data not music - all music on network drives)+ several utilities to talk to the network drives <br />

<br />

This PC is for music only and will be going to internet except when Windows does an update, etc - ie not Internet exploring, etc<br />

<br />

<br />

Last goal will be to find a totally silent device to use as a remote that will do some other stuff too, like let me read a book, go to internet,etc. Ipad might be solution when it becomes multitasking - maybe the HP Slate or a very quiet laptop. For now I have a 10 year old WIN 2 K laptop that works great with just a touch of noise.<br />

<br />

Private message if more ?'s, etc<br />

Thanks for the info. I think I will put something like this together, very much like what you have as am going with a USB DAC. The Origen case Chris recommends sure looks nice and I would be inclined to spend the $$ (especially if it's US made) but many of the cheaper cases are so small as to be easily hidden from view. An Elo touchscreen would be nice too, but I think I'll keep the costs down to start.

seems to have pretty much the whole enchilada minus the nice Origen case and internal DVD drive:<br />

<br />

http://www.mitxpc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=EKFLJAN270T3310&cat=71<br />

<br />

The compact case could easily be hidden (or attached to the back of a monitor tho' I 'spose that would result in EM degradation) . . . There is a lot more expansion possibility, compared to the Johnstown board, with Gb LAN, 6 USB ports, even a Firewire port. I think this is the one for me.

http://www.mitxpc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MBJNF94-270-LF&cat=99<br />

<br />

They must add a daugtherboard to get the extra connections on the front panel. But that probably doesn't address your disbelief re: PCI slot.

Well the Motherboard does have a PCI expansion slot - but I really doubt there is any space to mount a PCI card (even a low profile one) inside that case.<br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

In answer to Eli's post on the C.A.S.H. List thread...<br />

<br />

IIRC the Orgin case has a DC-DC converter for use with a Motherboard with a 24pin ATX power connector. Infact this may be a better option than the external power as the LCD display of the Origin case will be powered in this configuration. Potentially (though probably not something you would do) using the 24pin ATX connector may give you the opportunity to build a external high-rated PSU in the future.<br />

<br />

As for the motherboard itself - the D510NM has a slightly improved graphics processor and the newer version of the Atom processor which may reduce power consumption slightly while slightly improving performance. One thing to be aware - IIRC the D510NM board only has VGA output so you wont be able to connect it to a HDMI connection on a TV - seams a bit of a strange decision on Intel's part that. I believe the D510NM does support more memory so that is an advantage.<br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Hi Eloise,<br />

<br />

Thx for the prompt reply. looking at the card profile which is higher than the D945GSEJT I assume that it will impossible to use the PCI Riser and slot a standard a horizontal PCI card such as the ASUS ST. <br />

So, the options are half size PCI or stick with the Intel D945GSEJT <br />

<br />

Eli<br />

Ayre CD + CAPS Server > Weiss DAC202 > CJ CT5 > CJ Prem140 > AudioPhysics Virgo

The M10 has a 24pin with removable section to accommodate 20pin boards.<br />

<br />

I picked up a flex PCI-Express riser (very nice quality shielded cable) to be able to add a Lynx AES16E; if I still had the PCI version I don't think the size of the riser would have allowed my to customize the setup.<br />

<br />

I had to remove the CD tray, and the card is not coupled to chassis which i prefer and have discussed with others. The motherboard is a "full-size" Zotac ION with 330 Atom, HDMI, and passive cooling.<br />

<br />

<br />

>>>The motherboard is a "full-size" Zotac ION with 330 Atom, HDMI, and passive cooling<br />

<br />

You're running a Zotac 330 inside an M10 without fans? I'm thinking about a IONITX-C-U 230, which is supposed to run cooler than the 330 series and, from what I've read, it is marginal as a fanless motherboard even outside a case:<br />

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/zotac-ion-itx-c_7.html

I had the stock exhaust fan which is very loud and I have the lid off currently, it does get pretty hot on the cpu sink. thinking of adding a very low cfm fan, or two.

I'm going to be using this device to rip CDs as well as play files. If I get something with a USB DVD-RW, will the transfer speed be a bottleneck compared to an internal DVD wired with SATA? That is, will it take appreciably longer to rip a CD using a USB connection? For that matter, is there any reason to be concerned about installing the OS from a USB device?

I've decided I want to store my files on an external HDD via eSATA connection. My two finalists are the Jetway NF96FL (http://www.logicsupply.com/products/nf96fl_510) and the Zotac Ion B-E or C-U (http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ionitx_b_e).<br />

<br />

For what I'm interested in, they have nearly identical features. The Jetway has a dual core processor but the Zotac is better known and reviewed. I plan to use this system for ripping and playback, with JRMC as the only software beyond the OS. Which would you pick and why?

The Jetway has a basic integrated graphics chip and the Zotac has the nVidia ION chipset. If you are wanting to do any video playback the Zotac with the ION will be much more suitable. Having said that the Zotac usually requires some form of fan cooling while the Jetway states it's passive (fanless) cooling.<br />

<br />

Given that I would choose the Jetway.<br />

<br />

The Jetway will also allow you to add a PCI card which I think is impossible with the Zotac.<br />

<br />

Eloise<br />

<br />

PS. just to note the Jetway has only VGA for monitor connection so you'll need a display with this input, it won't work with HDMI on a TV.

Eloise

---

>>>video playback the Zotac with the ION will be much more suitable<br />

<br />

I have forbidden a television in the living room . . . but now a DVD-capable computer? It's a slippery slope! I'm sure my daughter would love to watch movies on a wide-screen with audio thru my speakers, but that would cut into my listening time. Perish the thought!<br />

<br />

>>>Zotac usually requires some form of fan cooling<br />

Yes, I've considered that. There are conflicting reports of whether the Zotac Ions can be run fanless but my living room usually stays fairly cool and I am planning a well ventilated case regardless of mobo.

DVD would be fine with the Jetway, but for HiDef you'd want the Zotac.<br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

Not sure why I wrote "full-size" regarding my Zotac ION LE in the M10; I truly have no idea what I was referring too.<br />

<br />

It's a mini-ITX board....obviously. I do have two small 8dba 60mm fans in there, mostly-dead silent unless you cram your ear up into the aluminum chassis.<br />

<br />

Is the GM950 on that Jetway?

Thanks for the info. I'll have to learn more about HD if I want to go down that path (we're still running a CRT TV with the digital converter box attached to rabbit ears!).<br />

<br />

@hifitubes: I don't know what a GM 950 is.