IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server - C.A.P.S.

Hi iamimdoc - Good questions.<br />

<br />

<i>1) Could a Compact Flash Card be used instead of a SS drive? The guy at Frys's though it could and would be cheaper</i><br />

<br />

This is certainly an option, but there is no free lunch. Most CF cards are very slow and really not designed to host an OS like Windows.<br />

<br />

<i>2) Could the sound card be left out entirely if one were satisfied with USB DAC sound for now?</i><br />

<br />

100% yes.<br />

<br />

<i>3) Can you explain how one gets the operating system onto the drive (without a CD/DVD drive)? Or the music player software? Or the drivers for my NAS drives (Iocell and Maxtor drives)?</i><br />

<br />

I use a USB CD/DVD drive for the OS install and down the rest of the software via Internet.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

It is my personal opinion that the 64-bit versions of Vista/Win7 are more stable than the 32-bit versions. I know a lot of people who will agree with that assessment, too. Furthermore, I have never run into any application incompatibilities running a 32-bit app on a 64-bit OS, nor are there any performance degradations for doing so.<br />

<br />

It is also very rare to find a device maker who does not make 64-bit drivers for their devices. The Lynx AES16 has Win7 64-bit drivers, as do all the Intel, nvidia, AMD/ATi, RealTek, ASUS and all major providers. There is honestly no reason for the average user not to use 64-bit considering that is the direction the market is heading...and not just for Windows...and that is offers better stability and future proofing.<br />

<br />

As for the memory amount question, you don't need 4GB but it doesn't hurt either. Every operating system has the so called "sweet spot" where adding more RAM no longer improves system performance. For Windows 7/Vista that is 4 GB, for XP it is 2 GB. I can't tell you the sweet spots of Linux/OS X, but I'm sure they have them.<br />

<br />

The reason for this is because of system caching. The operating system will cache all of the background processes and application into a RAM cache which allows the system, especially Win7, to respond "snappy". On average my Win7 install will cache ~1.6 GB of the operating system to RAM. With standard system security running (anit-virus, anti-spyware/malware, firewall), a few tray programs running and a some apps open you use about 1-1.75 GB of active RAM. That totals to just under 4 GB, which is where the 4 GB sweet spot comes from.<br />

<br />

And let's face it, 4GB RAM is super cheap these days. There's no real reason not to go with 4GB.

Whatever works.

Hi Chris,<br />

<br />

That is a lovely well written article - which provides, with all the discussion around it ; a perfect tutorial.<br />

I'm looking for such a solution for last 1.5y and my main problem was the OS. Similar to you, my immediate "suspect" for the case was the Origen M10 and fanless MOBO design (your article came like a present from heaven...).<br />

Lately I've found a *free* linux distribution that acts as a server + player ; the player part was added only on the date of 1-Feb-2010 and therefore it might have skipped your radar while doing the tests.<br />

The distribution could be downloaded from www.vortexbox.org - it does include a commercial part where they offer a fully integrated solution ; still the linux distro is FREE for download.<br />

I've installed it on an OLD pc Pentium 2 / 266MHz & still works... for 16/44.1 ; it does hit a snag with 24/96 but your HW setup will run 24/192 with no issues.<br />

The distribution supports the Lynx AES16 and FW and more ; It also support a Squeezebox setup as a server to manage the files and a few more options including the recently added MPD based player.<br />

Installation of the vortexbox is something like next->next->next... (no prior linux knowledge is required) ; All working out of the box...<br />

<br />

Q: As a WEISS Minerva owner and user I'd like to fit a FW card into your design + installation of Vortexbox 1.1 to complete the FW solution.<br />

In that case what FW card will you recommend using? ; As none was mentioned in the article BOM and it is well known that one should use a card with TI chip set to comply with PRO audio and the Weiss HW (both 4" and 6" outputs will be appreciated).<br />

<br />

Regards,<br />

<br />

Lior./<br />

Hi Chris,<br />

<br />

My question was intentionally about the mix of linux (Vortexbox/fedora) and FW support, as I've already experienced issues with my Lenovo X61 (WIN XP) ; and bought an additional PCMCIA FW card with TI Chipset.<br />

As the OS support is important, I was wondering what is the best choice for linux/fw card combo?<br />

<br />

BTW - you did not comment anything on vortexbox distro ; what is your take on this?<br />

<br />

Regards,<br />

<br />

Lior./<br />

Hi Lior!<br />

<br />

I contacted Daniel Weiss recently to ask if he will provide a Linux driver for the weiss dac.<br />

He's actually working on it now since the soon to come Weiss media server will run Linux.<br />

<br />

For other firewire cards, the new audio firewire stack should be available in most of linux distribution soon.<br />

See these links:<br />

- http://www.ffado.org/<br />

- http://www.ffado.org/?q=devicesupport/list<br />

Thanks for the article Chris. It’s really informative and helpful! I wish i read it before I built my HTPC<br />

Unfortunately, I already built my HTPC six months ago and I took a slightly different path. My HTPC was designed to play music and HD video unlike the C.A.P.S. But my main aim was to build a server with a brief similar to Chris’. I wanted it to play audiophile quality music so I chose the Lynx AES16e for music. I also wanted the HTPC to play high quality HD video so I settled on a fanless nvidia 9550 card. Ideally, I would have liked it to have no moving parts to make it completely silent so I used an SSD drive for my OS (Windows 7). <br />

At the time, my HTPC wasn't built as a completely fanless unit but I was aiming to construct a near silent system. I used the Asus P5Q-EM Mobo with an E7600 dual core CPU. Unfortunately, my choice of MoBo and CPU meant that I needed to use two silent case fans.<br />

I am thinking of changing the MoBo and CPU to make my system completely fanless and without any moving parts. But wanted keep my high spec graphics and to have space in my Silverstone GW01 HTPC case full size cards etc. <br />

I wanted to ask your opinion about an alternative way of achieving Chris' brief by using an Intel i7 Clarkdale 32 nm CPU (18W) and Mobo rather than the Atom setup. This i7 cpu could easily work with a fanless cpu cooler. It’s more expensive than the Atom option but it offers more flexibility and power. What are your thoughts?

Custom built silent Media PC, Synology DS415+ NAS -> SoTM sms200Ultra/sps500  -> TAD DA1000 DAC/preamp and Bryston 4BSST2 power amp -> Harbeth SHL5 speakers and Velodyne DD10+ subwoofers. PowerQuest Carbon USB cable, Chord Company Chorus interconnects, Chord Company Signature speaker leads, Clearer Audio Silver-Line power leads

Hi Chris,<br />

<br />

I've been meaning to put together a dedicated music PC for a while now, to replace the Sony laptop I currently use. And my requirements echoed yours to the letter... especially your no.12 and 13.<br />

<br />

I've ordered all the necessary parts for the C.A.P.S., save the Origen case - I can get a black one right now from a UK retailer, but will need to wait for a silver one to arrive (and to get one shipped across from the US to UK adds around $190 to the price!). But hopefully the delay won't be too long. Also, instead of the Lynx card, I will use the PCI slot for a TI firewire card to connect to the Weiss AFI1.<br />

<br />

Thanks for doing all the ground work.. it really has helped me out a lot. Will let you know how the C.A.P.S. compares to my laptop running on battery power.<br />

<br />

Cheers,<br />

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Hi baocrazy,<br />

<br />

I assume your talking about the "Roma" player - did Daniel gave approximated date,spec, pricing for this device?<br />

Thanks for the link to ffado.<br />

Still I'm not sure how it is helping with locating the right FW pc card to fit into linux distro?<br />

As all of the mentioned devices will connect into the FW card in the PC and they do not behave as a FW PC card.<br />

And from reading @the next thread here - it was mentioned that the TI chipset is also not "perfect" and if you want to have a good solution you'll need a VIA chipset - this is confusing...<br />

Can anyone attest on what FW PC card he's using to connect to the Weiss Minerva/DAC2 which proved to be a good solution? It will be even better if someone have found a MOBO that includes that port on-board ; that would leave the extra pci/e slot for other enhancement...<br />

<br />

Thanks.,<br />

<br />

Lior./<br />

"Can anyone attest on what FW PC card he's using to connect to the Weiss Minerva/DAC2 which proved to be a good solution?"<br />

<br />

The firewire card (TI chipset) built into my Sony laptop works fine with the Weiss AFI1 and Windows7/WASAPI. As too does the Lacie PCMCIA firewire 400/800 card (TI chipset).<br />

<br />

I have an old 'Adaptec AFW-8300' firewire 400/800 PCI card (TI chipset) that I will use with the C.A.P.S. I'll let you know how that works out.<br />

<br />

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Chris, you said, "I control my servers with a MacBook Air that sits next to my listening chair."<br />

<br />

So you're using Remote Desktop and connecting via a wireless network, right? Isn't this a bad idea, from a SQ perspective? Personally, I wouldn't want wifi or bluetooth anywhere near my music server. Indeed, I switch all the wireless devices in the house off for my late night listening sessions. Along with cleaner electricity at that time, I'm sure this makes a difference (even with a fully balanced system).<br />

<br />

Interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on this.<br />

<br />

Mani.

Hi Mani - For critical listening I setup a play list and disconnect. The playlist also consist of audio copied to the local SSD. <br />

<br />

My wireless router is not near my system. The server is connecting via wired Ethernet. I do know some people who turn down the power on their routers but I haven't A/B'd that yet.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Mani,<br />

<br />

I've noticed that you are using the XXHighEnd.<br />

As far as i know - this works best on VISTA, which is not really popular nor confirms with HTPC build (HW wise).<br />

Can you share your thoughts,experience on the software ; As I'm very interested in the engine/abilities. Though, the GUI and platform are somewhat dis-encouraging.<br />

<br />

Thanks,<br />

<br />

Lior./<br />

Hi Lior,<br />

<br />

Yes, there was a 'scare' a short while ago (initiated by PeterSt, I may hasten to add!) that Vista may be better than W7 for XXHE. BUT, that was using the particular version of Engine#3 (WASAPI) at that time (which I think has been updated since). As usual, I just ignored him and continued trusting my own ears, which told me that W7 and XXHE was a happy marriage.<br />

<br />

In any event, it looks like Engine#3 is just about to be easily superceded in SQ by Engine#4. (Actually, Engine#4 is already out, but a little inconsistent at the moment.) Engine#4 is Peter's own take on how Kernel Streaming <em>should</em> be done. All the XXHE users are waiting with bated breath for the next version (of Engine#4) to be released, as it's supposed to be something very special.<br />

<br />

I have to admit that were it not for my love of the way I can configure XXHE to <em>sound</em> the way I want (and yet still have the capability to be totally bit perfect!), I'd have probably switched to a Mac a long time ago. XXHE with Engine#4 is simply the most natural sounding player I have heard in my system - no bangs, whistles and bells, just a very 'whole' sound. I wouldn't give up its features like 'Quad Arc Prediction' (zero pre- and post-ringing 4x upsampling) or the new Engine#4 (Kernel Streaming) for anything... and I mean anything.<br />

<br />

And hence why I've embarked on this W7 music server quest - to help me get the best out of my beloved, albeit infuriatingly un-userfriendly, XXHE!<br />

<br />

Mani.

Chris, I'm new to seeing your site (very interesting). I've been using an Audiophile 192 card off my old XP-based PC, running the coax digital output to a Niles Audio C5-HDDA Cat5 balun for an ethernet cable run of about 30 feet through the wall, into the balun on the other end and then into my Bel Canto Dac3vb. John Stronczer from Bel Canto has brought over his test equipment and we've confirmed 24/192 is bit preserved in this fashion. But, I still have the noisy hard drives in the far corner of the room.<br />

<br />

Obviously, I need to do network attached storage for the drives (perhaps you can point on your site where you explain how to do that correctly -- I need a "virtual environment" for a NAS setup because my playlists reference songs on different drives and I don't want to rebuild the playlists). I am intrigued by your CAPS music server idea and am wondering if the Audiophile 192 card would also work, since it is PCI and not PCIe, by our tests has the requisite performance and I already own it. Thoughts? JCR

Hi JCR - What timing. I just got off the phone with John about reviewing his new products. Anyway, There are a couple NAS reviews here on the site (Thecus and QNAP) where I talk a bit about NAS drives and setup. If those don't help please open a topic in the forum and we'll get you where you want to be knowledge-wize. <br />

<br />

The Audiophile 192 card still has issues playing 24/88.2 and 24/176.4 I believe. Last time I checked it upsampled these to 24/96 and 24/192 respectively. The ASUS Xonar Essence ST(X) card may be the way to go around that price point.

Chris, does the custom cable made by Redco offer beinfits in terms of sound quality?

Custom built silent Media PC, Synology DS415+ NAS -> SoTM sms200Ultra/sps500  -> TAD DA1000 DAC/preamp and Bryston 4BSST2 power amp -> Harbeth SHL5 speakers and Velodyne DD10+ subwoofers. PowerQuest Carbon USB cable, Chord Company Chorus interconnects, Chord Company Signature speaker leads, Clearer Audio Silver-Line power leads

Hi d_c - I can only rely my experience and mention that of others. I've never used a cable built by Redco but I have a few cables built by colleagues with the exact same wires and connectors. I prefer the sound of a cable built with Gotham wire, which Redco will do as well. <br />

<br />

I know many readers here have commented about sonic benefits to moving away from the standard Lynx cable.<br />

<br />

I mentioned Redco here as it's an inexpensive place to have a good solid cable built. I believe many manufacturers will also build Lynx cables now if they are asked.

Hi Chris. So, for my setup, with (i) three Squeezebox players around the house, (ii) the computer hookup to the big system as previous noted through the Audiophile 192 card, (iii) an Indigo IO soundcard on my laptop for desktop listening, (iv) my preference to use Winamp controlled by iampRemote, iTunes controlled by Remote or the Squeezeboxes controlled by iPeng, on my iPod Touch and (v) my Winamp and iTunes playlists pointing to songs currently stored across different drive letters (which, to work on a NAS system without my re-programming all my playlists, would likely need to be "virtualized" so the playlists know where to find the songs) -- whew!--, would you go with the Thecus or the QNAP (or something else, noting that your reviews of those products are a year old now)? JCR

Hi Chris,<br />

<br />

Thanks for this great write-up. I have been looking in the same direction recently. I currently use a Lenovo Q100-Squeezebox setup.<br />

<br />

Did you look into the Via boards? I ask because they have firewire onboard and would be a nice choice for those who have or are considering pro dacs (like me) that use firewire. They also have expansion slots and are fanless. Price is a bit higher, maybe?<br />

<br />

andy

For those of use who know just enough to be dangerous...<br />

<br />

If one wanted to go with a USB DAC (at least initially) <br />

<br />

then <br />

<br />

The build of The Computer Audiophile Pocket Server piece by piece could be only the following:<br />

<br />

Motherboard Intel D945GSEJT Johnstown Mini-ITX Motherboard - $109.00 <br />

Power Supply Power Adapter DC 12 V, 80 W - $29.00 <br />

RAM TRANSCEND 256MSQ64V6U SO-DIMM DDR2 667 Memory 2GB - $73.00 <br />

Solid State Drive OCZ Vertex Turbo OCZSSD2-1VTXT60G 2.5" 60GB SSD - $219.00 <br />

Computer Case Origenae M10 - $320 <br />

Music Application J River Media Center 14 - $50 (or whatever)<br />

WINDOWS 7 - whatever it costs<br />

<br />

1) Is this correct?<br />

2) There are many other less expensive fanless cases on the internet that _seemingly_ might due the job. Are there design benefits with this case (cool,better for example) that justify the price . Or is it cosmesis, future usage, etc as deciding factor?<br />

3) Can you confirm any other operational issues that might make this "product" a non starter for some folks: for example: won't work with VNC usefully, can't run FLAC files, won't run Mozilla, won't run MediaMonkey, etc, etc. I use these only as examples, not as known problems. <br />

<br />

I can't think of all the potential problems but as there is know way to play with a unit, asking is the only way I know to get info<br />

<br />

I am considering the project and just don't want to find out a big "gotcha" after expending time, $ and energy. <br />

<br />

My intent is Media Monkey with various NAS drives, to control the device with some flavor of VNC and perhaps Melloware's Monkeytunes<br />

<br />

Thanks