IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server - C.A.P.S.

Hey Chris,<br />

<br />

i am entirely of your opinion. Your how-to is perfect!<br />

<br />

There is only one question: you do not use the touchscreen, so how are you controlling the system? It is relatively easy to integrate an IR control, but useless without a screen.<br />

<br />

THX<br />

<br />

Bernhard

Hi Chris!<br />

<br />

RDP is the remote control of your choice?<br />

You build a fanless mediaserver and you control it with a notebook? (which is in front of you). Do you shut down the notebook, after you have selected the track you want to hear? Because the notebook will be much louder than the mediaserver, which is far away.<br />

;-)<br />

<br />

We should find a good solution for remote control (iPod maybe) - or we should find a good touchscreen next to the mediaserver, like Meridian Sooloos.<br />

<br />

When I come home, I want to listen to music, and not work on the computer.<br />

<br />

Am I wrong?<br />

<br />

Bernhard

Hey man! This is the first real application area for the iPad. :-) We will see, if and when the guys of J.River, Mediamonkey & Co will release a nice plugin. Apple will be the winner in this race, I think.<br />

<br />

The notebook, even a Mac Air, is a no-go for me.<br />

<br />

I am IT system administrator, so I am a MS$ guy. But nobody offers a nice application designed for touchscreens. And Apple has iTunes and the iPod, that works. Amarra is a nice upgrade, indeed.<br />

Windows Media Center (Windows7) is a great application, but it is not bit perfect. It would be the program i prefer.<br />

I will have to order a touchscreen monitor and test all the (bit perfect) programs out there. Today you can buy computer cases with a 7 inch touch integrated in the front. They are more expensive, but you do not need an extra monitor.<br />

The rest of the hardware, you selected, is really very nice, totally silent and low power consumption.<br />

I think, some persons want one single server for video, too. Then they need more graphics power for Full HD video. It is possible to build it noiseless.<br />

So - let's stay tuned.<br />

<br />

Bernhard

Hey ahp,<br />

<br />

you will not need the 4GB, nor will it be an advantage, when you use 64-bit. You should prefer the 32-bit version. On the other hand, the mainboard of your choice does only support 100MBit networkspeed. No problem when you play 16/44.1 files, but the 24/192 files are much bigger. You will get longer interrupts, when you load the tracks over the network.<br />

<br />

Bernhard